Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The 10$ fee is a gimic, and I predict it will die away sometime in the future.

Regardless of the overall costs of a plan if it soo happens to still end up being the same at another provider. A user will be looking at that 10$ as a ADDED fee. That is NOT on another provider.

When the other networks start picking up the 4G technologies. And most phones end up being a 4G phone. Sprint would be stupid to keep a 10$ fee.

I for one, honestly hope the new palm phone is 3G, 4G is useless. And the fee is useless. They charge you 10$ extra a month on a 4G phone, not for the service. But for the IDEA that your going to use this FANCY phone more then any other phone. 4G or 3G, Palm Pre, or HTC EVO. Im going to do the exact same things on each phone. Its a useless FEE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    That might work in your case since you text very little. But for those who need unlimited texts that is $20 dollars on top of the 30$ monthly fee for data. Also verizon does not offer 30 dollars unlimited data anymore, if i am correct they did the same thing att did and are now charging 25$ per month for 2 gigs of data and 10$ per gig afterwards. so if you are granfathered into their older data plan, than your good; but my comparisons are based on what a new customer would be able to get.

Also the 10$ charge sprint charge is not just for 4g but for what they call premium data. I know it sounds tricky because when sprint started requiring everything data plans for web centric phones(android,webos) even though people had unlimited data on old plans.

The bottom line is carriers reacted to web centric phones by requiring unlimited data plans (example. sprint requiring everything data plans). and now carriers are reacting to these super webcentric phones with videocalling and around 1ghz and up processors (like droidx, evo, epic, iphone). And just chargin 10 dollars on top of the already excellent everything plans, is much beter than the att and verizon models.
    Sorry to bust your bubble dude, but Verizon does still offer the $29.99 plan. I could go sign up for it right now if I wanted to. Texting is pretty much beyond me and in annoying teenager realm to really need an unlimited amount, but for people who need it, I concede, $20 is BS.

And I cannot believe you are buying this PREMIUM DATA bullcrap cause that's what it is - Sprint spin for all the people who rightly think its bogus to pay $10 for 4G they don't get. If that's the case, why not charge me an extra $10 now? What really is the Epic/Evo doing that the Pre isn't data-wise - face chat? BIG EFFING DEAL, WHO IS REALLY DOING FACE CHAT RIGHT NOW. WHAT DOES THE PROCESSOR SPEED HAVE TO DO WITH DATA?!? ARE YOU LISTENING TO YOURSELF RIGHT NOW?

Man, some people....really deserve to pay these BS fees.

When the other networks start picking up the 4G technologies. And most phones end up being a 4G phone. Sprint would be stupid to keep a 10$ fee.
    Exactly. At this point, it stops being a "Premium Data" surcharge - and a certified price increase. All these data charge amounts to is Sprint's foot in the door to charging Verizon/AT&T style pricing - but without the coverage to back it up. At the end of the day, like someone else said either here or in the other thread, Sprint may still have some "extras" that other carriers don't (free Nav, unlmited texting), but it will also have lost a big advantage for itself in the eyes of the average consumer and the costumer will be turning a much more critical eye towards whether Sprint or one of the other carriers is better suited for their situation.
    Last edited by malpha; 09/13/2010 at 09:54 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I replaced Comcast, and saved 45 bucks a month. Comcast, which was supposed to be up to 10 mbits at home.... all I saw was about 6 mbits.

Currently using the EVO with mobile hotspot at 29.95 and I see consistant 5-6 mbits. Granted that is at full signal, but I have no problems at all. So, is 4g right for everyone? not really, but it does work for me and I am sure I am not alone.

That brings me to the topic of this thread. I sure as heck hope the next Palm phone brings 4g to the table. I still use my Pre for personal use, but if I could use it for both home and business.... that, to me, is worth the 10 bucks and the 29.99 mobile hotspot.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I'd like to have the option of picking if I want 4g or not. I mean 4g is great and all, but I dont think its worth it for an extra 10 bucks a month. I've got a family plan with 4 pres... upgrading all of those to the c40 + 40extra/month is a bit much I think.
    4G will work for me once I get a new Palm device that is 4G (hopefully by the holidays). $10 fee is typical for the 4G speeds (4G phones are already being charged). I don't need the hotspot or the extra $30. I'll pay the 4G fee though. No issues on my end.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I want an option as my 3G service sucks at my house and in my entire community for that matter. I drop more calls close to my house than over my entire commute route combined. I guess that's why they were willing to provide me a Airwave. I just hope that with all of the new features promised for the new "Pre" that they don't forget to improve the phone reception as this is what it's primarily used for right?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    And I cannot believe you are buying this PREMIUM DATA bullcrap cause that's what it is - Sprint spin for all the people who rightly think its bogus to pay $10 for 4G they don't get. If that's the case, why not charge me an extra $10 now? What really is the Epic/Evo doing that the Pre isn't data-wise - face chat? BIG EFFING DEAL, WHO IS REALLY DOING FACE CHAT RIGHT NOW. WHAT DOES THE PROCESSOR SPEED HAVE TO DO WITH DATA?!? ARE YOU LISTENING TO YOURSELF RIGHT NOW?

Man, some people....really deserve to pay these BS fees.

Exactly. At this point, it stops being a "Premium Data" surcharge - and a certified price increase. All these data charge amounts to is Sprint's foot in the door to charging Verizon/AT&T style pricing - but without the coverage to back it up. At the end of the day, like someone else said either here or in the other thread, Sprint may still have some "extras" that other carriers don't (free Nav, unlmited texting), but it will also have lost a big advantage for itself in the eyes of the average consumer and the costumer will be turning a much more critical eye towards whether Sprint or one of the other carriers is better suited for their situation.
    None of the big 4 carrier are doing unlimited flat rate 3G data. Even the VZ $30 is capped at 5GB. Sprint is the one offering true unlimited data with the 4G devices .. you know that "Premium Data".
    Last month on my pre I used around 4gb maybe 4.5GB. Now if I pre had a faster connection and more data heavy app I could very well go over the 5GB limit. I wouldn't mind stream movies etc if I know the connection could keep up. You are crazy if you think the other carriers wont charge more the LTE. The same way we paid more when 3G came around.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Verizon data is actually unlimited, it's the mobile hotspot / dongles that are capped at 5GB. Sprint has a cap supposedly, but you'll find people using 11GB on the regular and nothing happens. Only AT&T is FOS on this matter.

And if the Premium Data is for TRUE unlmited data, then it should be a choice between the cap and the unlimited (especially since if you don't have 4G coverage, the only benefit IS "true unlimited"). But then Sprint would have to admit that it's unlimited data plan wasn't actually so unlimited.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12