Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hi guys, I am a new Pre owner, and have a few questions for my fellow Bell Pre owners out there.

I live in Toronto - East, Steeles and Brimley/Markham Road area, and the signal on my pre is really bad. It's extremely unstable, it would show 5 bar then drop to none. It never show's "No service", but my calls would drop randomly in my house. Do you guys also experiencing similar signal problem?

I updated my pre to the latest software via the builtin update app. Can someone tell me if I should bring this back to the store to get a new one or it's "Normal" that the Bell EVDO network is crappy. I really want to keep the pre, but the signal is not acceptable.... please advise.
    It's good here in Calgary and Bell has been out east longer than here in the west, so maybe see about an exchange.
    While I'm hardly a power user, I have been quite pleased with my pre's reception all over the GTA. I can't remember ever having it drop a call in the two months that I have had it.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Does your status bar go up and down? Which part of GTA are you from?

I made a call to my friend in my house earlier, and she complainted the quality was bad... I guess I will try my luck on another Pre.

BTW can someone tell me how old is my palm pre, is it the initial batch of Pres?

Hardware version A
    Model P100EWW
    Firmware CC1.6(535)
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Some houses just DON'T work with the Pre and CDMA. I've had 'no service' in some peoples basements. I've declared all basements to be very low reception... Some houses in the GTA are thick as hell. Even my Palm Treo Pro has bad reception in places. I'm positive it's the house and the analog signal used by CDMA. You could call bell and tell them to test the reception in your area.
    I have a Palm Pre on Bell and live near Jarvis/Gerrard downtown.

I can safely say that this phone has better reception than any other phone I have ever owned.

I get 5 full bars almost anywhere in the city, and when I go to places like remote areas of kingston to my relatives, I get full bars at their house when people on Bell with other cell phones get 1 or 2.

Maybe you are holding it wrong (just kidding...iphone joke)

The Pre really shouldn't get bad reception in the GTA

Bring it to Bell and see if they will let you compare it to another Pre there...maybe you have a lemon.
    No problems with my Pre Plus or Pre, except in underground or very interior areas. Bar does jump but never had dropped calls.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I live by 404 and 401 I have no problems at home.. But I have notice siginal is kinda weak never no service, I always get 1 or 2 bars. I had my Pre since last October and never nad one drop calls, and I spend alot of time in Markham.

Just to let you know that Bell is improving their network and they are getting better in the GTA. From what I have heard they are investing alot of money in urban and the outskirt area.

I have to give Bell credit cause a few weekends ago I went to Sauble Beach and never had 1 drop in siginal, my brother who is with Rogers got lost and was trying to contact couldn't cause of the poor reception.
    I'm in Edmonton with no reception problems at all, unless i'm on the lrt downtown
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Ok, I am in the 401/Markham Road Area, it's not exactly subur, but the signal is weak there too...

Can someone please tell me their MSID?

My MSID is 4162273637, this is not my phone number. When I got my palm initially, my phone failed to active with the first two MSID Bell provided me over the phone. The phone activiated on this MSID (third one), so I wonder if there's something to do with this MSID.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_singh View Post
    Just to let you know that Bell is improving their network and they are getting better in the GTA. From what I have heard they are investing alot of money in urban and the outskirt area.

Correction: Bell is improving their HSPA network. They and Telus are in the process of switching from CDMA to HSPA.

So, slowly they will be tearing down their CDMA network and improving their HSPA network.

The Pre runs on CDMA. So over the next 2 years expect your reception to only get worse, not better.

If , IF Bell carries the new Palm device, it will be a HSPA model. They don't accept new CDMA phones anymore.
    I live around Bayview and Sheppard and work around Yonge and Steeles. My bars are constantly jumping between 2 and 5 bars and I have yet to drop a call in the 2 months that I've had the phone including calls made in Peterborough an Cobourg. I even had a 1.5 hour call with Bell support my first weekend sitting on a dock off of Rice lake.

Is it true that they will be dismantling the CDMA network as they upgrade to HSPA?

@Toni , Is your Hybrid phone HSPA? If so, is Bell tracking Data usage more accurately on that network? Are you burning through that 500mb faster?
    It's just CDMA with bars being at 5, 2, 1, etc... it won't drop a call, just for some reason it's the way CDMA technology works

The gf has a BB on telus and hers does the same thing, always inconsistent with the bars.

That's where GSM is an advantage.

mine does it all the time, however, what really erks me is when i'm in a full reception area (i live in calgary now, moved from toronto a couple months ago) is when i go from EV and just drops to 1x for no apparent reason
    Bell is not tearing down the CDMA network its to large and more then half of they're consumer base is on it. For the time being Bell is supporting both there cdma network and HSPA+. But they wont be selling many CDMA phones anymore. Im on bells HSPA network with a ATT Palm Pre Plus and right now sadly i have no service in my house where CDMA i get 3 bars all the time even in my basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    I live around Bayview and Sheppard and work around Yonge and Steeles. My bars are constantly jumping between 2 and 5 bars and I have yet to drop a call in the 2 months that I've had the phone including calls made in Peterborough an Cobourg. I even had a 1.5 hour call with Bell support my first weekend sitting on a dock off of Rice lake.

Is it true that they will be dismantling the CDMA network as they upgrade to HSPA?

@Toni , Is your Hybrid phone HSPA? If so, is Bell tracking Data usage more accurately on that network? Are you burning through that 500mb faster?
    CDMA. I took apart a Bell phone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Is your Hybrid phone HSPA? If so, is Bell tracking Data usage more accurately on that network? Are you burning through that 500mb faster?
    I just got my bill from from bell this month from my cdma to HSPA and i can say they are tracking usage now i went from an average of 30mb or less now to 200+ so ya they are definitely tracking luckily i have unlimited data.