Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    So about a month and a half ago I switched from Sprint to Verizon (Pre to Pre Plus) here in the Los Angeles area and noticed that Verizon has 3G in many more places but anyone who streams audio constantly knows that means nothing if the connection drops back to 2.5G every 5 minutes.

When I was with Sprint the 3G connection when streaming 80kbps was consistent, dropping to 2.5G was rare, but it happened in a few places on a regular basis, and that's to be expected in any network.

With Verizon I noticed that I generally can not sustain 80kbps streams on 3G, I often get kicked back to 2.5G when there is indeed 3G coverage in that spot (I check by reseting the connection via airplane mode). This is maddening and reminds me of the old days of AT&T. To be honest I'm not sure which one was worse in this respect, Verizon is definitely better for voice but otherwise I'm not so sure. What I've discovered is that if I choose a 24kbps stream I can generally keep the 3G connection but I will sometimes drop to 2.5G and not notice because 2.5G can sustain a 24kbps connection.

Anyway what I'm getting at is... I'm wondering what is it that is preventing me from staying on 3G? Is it the phone, or the network? If it's the network is it a bandwidth issue to the cell site, signal strength, etc?

One thing I've found aggravating is that if a phone is trying to pull data and goes to a slower data standard (i.e. from 3G to 2.5G) it never recovers to the better standard on its own, I always have to kill/reset stuff to force it back. Is there a reason it gets stuck, is there no way for it to recover on its own?
    well I just returned from a trip to anaheim, and my vzw phone service and 3G data was poor, even after I did a roaming upate. I have never had poor vzw reception issues before anywhere else. Now that I'm back in nj I have great reception again.

perhaps the LA and anaheim area have poor vzw coverage?
    do you sustain the 3g symbol on your phone, or does it toggle to a 1x symbol?
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    It will usually drop to 1x
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    well I just returned from a trip to anaheim, and my vzw phone service and 3G data was poor, even after I did a roaming upate. I have never had poor vzw reception issues before anywhere else. Now that I'm back in nj I have great reception again.

perhaps the LA and anaheim area have poor vzw coverage?
    Verizon 3G coverage is great for me in Anaheim and LA. As a matter of fact, I always have a 3G signal where ever I am in Southern California. Ever since I have had a 3G capable phone while with Verizon, I can't recall not having a 3G signal.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I'm not really talking about coverage though, I'm talking about being able to sustain the connection (not getting bumped to 1x when pulling an 80kbps stream).

If you stream shoutcast I'd like to hear what the experience has been like. If you're just browsing/calling then you'll likely never see this happen to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    It will usually drop to 1x
    if it drops to 1x you won't be able to stream 80k. Do you have the option for a lower bitrate like you can in pandora?
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Yes, I have a backup 24kbps stream -- but that isn't the point.

I'm wondering what's going on, because 3G coverage itself is everywhere but I can't sustain an 80kbps stream (usually when moving). So I usually get bumped down to 1x and can't recover without killing my connections/resetting the radio. I'm wondering if this is the phone, or cell network (bandwidth, lack of spectrum...etc)
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Hmm, I stream Pandora and RadioTime and haven't noticed any problems. I do not have any experience with shoutcast.

Edit: I think the stream that I listen to in RadioTime is 32kbps, can't quite remember though. It definitely is not 80kbps. I will try higher quality streams this coming week.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    anyone?