1.    #1  
    I need to drop sprint now and would like to switch to another carrier (Verizon probably).

It sounds like the new pre won't be available on Verizon until November. Question: How can I switch cheaply now so I can wait for the new pre?

1) One option I thought was to buy a prepaid cell phone on some carrier for the next 3 months or so. Can anyone advise on how to do this and which phone/carrier to use? I would want minutes for sure. I would like email but if it is too expensive, I would forgo it.

If I buy the prepaid cell phone:
    It looks like I could park my current phone number at tossabledigits.com for $8 a month and it would forward any phone calls. Also I'm wondering if the apps I bought from Palm would stay mine, if I don't activate another palm phone for 3 months

2) Another option. Could I buy a preplus on ebay for Verizon and not sign a contract until Nov when the new phones come out? If so, could someone give me advice on how to do that?

3) Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    It sounds like the new pre won't be available on Verizon until November....
    This is based on speculative chatter in the forums. Don't base your plan on this.

As for the rest - my advice would be to purchase a cheap VZW phone on eBay (or similar) and active it on Big Red month to month (with your number). Once the new Palm hardware is out "upgrade" and sign a contract.

<<Thread Moved>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/02/2010 at 12:13 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    always pick your carrier first. If you need verizon (as I do) and can affordit. then move to verizon. grab a used Pre Plus, or something else that will get you by until they have what you need.

the problem you will face is that once they sign you up, you need to be "eligible" for an upgrade if/when they get the next Palm phone. Check to make sure that if you sign up without a contract and bring your own phone that you will get upgrade pricing when something comes along that you want. Otherwise you will ahve to pay $500 for the next gen webOS phone or wait 12-24 months.

I kept my centro a loooong time waiting for Palm to get the Pre. Sometimes I still miss my Centro when I discover features missing in the Pre.

You should be able to get a used Pre for less than $200 bucks around here or on Craig's list/ebay.

Enjoy!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    +1 to waiting to sign a contract since you'll have to deal with "new every two" which is phone upgrade at huge discount after completing a two year agreement (actually they begin offering the upgrade after 18 months)
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
  5.    #5  
    thanks.
    I see on ebay that a used pre plus is around $90-$150. Will all of them work on Verizon off contract or is there something I have to do to make sure that it works?

I assume I can port my palm profile with all of the apps I bought over to Verizon. Or should I create a new profile and leave the old one with sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    thanks.
    I see on ebay that a used pre plus is around $90-$150. Will all of them work on Verizon off contract or is there something I have to do to make sure that it works?

I assume I can port my palm profile with all of the apps I bought over to Verizon. Or should I create a new profile and leave the old one with sprint?
    If it's a Pre+ originally sold from or for use with VZW your fine (assuming the ESN is clean)

DO NOT make a new profile or you will LOOSE all your apps.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Also...you may want to read about this:

http://www.precentral.net/verizon-ma...-sans-contract
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  8.    #8  
    thanks
    Called Verizon:

for 450 talk* would be $75: $45 +$30 data
    For unlimited talk* would be $105: $75 + $30 data

text msging would be $0.20 per message

I don't do alot of text messaging so this might work for me (the unlimted text msging bumps the $45 plan up to $65)
    You could also buy the used VZW Pre Plus and then activate it on a Prepaid plan now that they've announced those. This would be beneficial IF they require you to sign a contract of sorts for that monthly pricing and doing so would make you ineligable for an upgrade during the first year.
    Quote from an article on PreCentral today:

"If you’re mostly using your phone for web access and run with limited calls and texts, then this might be the option for you, as Verizon’s prepaid voice plans work on a day-by-day system where if you don’t use the service for a day, your pre-paid allotment isn’t charged for that day. In fact, if your peeps are on Verizon you could get away with paying $40 a month for unlimited Verizon-to-Verizon calls and texts ($10) and unlimited data ($30). Not a bad call, eh?"