Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Want to complain about the Verizon GPS issues? Here's the place to do it:

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action
    go there, complain. Bad prprpr $creates$ $results$.
    done and done!
    Done! I hope the FCC has better luck than I did with Verizon.
    I think I will file another complaint about the release of 1.4.5
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    nice. As soon as I get to my pc. I'm doing one for deceptive adv and one for safety ( can't figure out where I am).

what are others choosing?
    Android has full GPS but palm doesnt, please make stop this discrepancy
    Complaint filed. Let's hope VZW get what they deserve.
    I also filed as a Deceptive Marketing/Advertising Complaint.

Here's my text, if you're curious. I don't quite understand all the different details of GPS technology, so I just talk about how it behaves on Verizon's network.

This comes in at 950 characters, just enough for the FCC complaint form. [Remove the spaces in the link - I can't post real links as a newbie here.]

--------------

Verizon Wireless sells the Palm Pre Plus wireless phone as having GPS and "assisted GPS" functionality, per their product page at www . verizonwireless . com for the Palm Pre Plus.

This functionality can be used by applications on the phone to retrieve a user's geographic location for purposes of communication, travel, or convenience.

But, the GPS is intentionally hindered (or "crippled") on the Palm Pre Plus. When using the GPS for many purposes, it may take 2 minutes or more to obtain a GPS lock, and sometimes fails. However, if you are using Verizon Wireless's VZNavigator program, GPS functionality works fine and often can obtain an accurate lock in less than 10 seconds. Only VZNavigator seems to have correct GPS functionality.

This only occurs on Verizon Wireless's service -- the AT&T Palm Pre Plus and Sprint Palm Pre phones have no difficulties utilizing the GPS location lock in a reasonable time frame under normal circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    I also filed as a Deceptive Marketing/Advertising Complaint.

Here's my text, if you're curious. I don't quite understand all the different details of GPS technology, so I just talk about how it behaves on Verizon's network.

This comes in at 950 characters, just enough for the FCC complaint form. [Remove the spaces in the link - I can't post real links as a newbie here.]

--------------

Verizon Wireless sells the Palm Pre Plus wireless phone as having GPS and "assisted GPS" functionality, per their product page at www . verizonwireless . com for the Palm Pre Plus.

This functionality can be used by applications on the phone to retrieve a user's geographic location for purposes of communication, travel, or convenience.

But, the GPS is intentionally hindered (or "crippled") on the Palm Pre Plus. When using the GPS for many purposes, it may take 2 minutes or more to obtain a GPS lock, and sometimes fails. However, if you are using Verizon Wireless's VZNavigator program, GPS functionality works fine and often can obtain an accurate lock in less than 10 seconds. Only VZNavigator seems to have correct GPS functionality.

This only occurs on Verizon Wireless's service -- the AT&T Palm Pre Plus and Sprint Palm Pre phones have no difficulties utilizing the GPS location lock in a reasonable time frame under normal circumstances.
    Your posting explains it perfectly.... Mind if I copy/paste?
    Go for it, sorry I didn't notice this.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Want to complain about the Verizon GPS issues? Here's the place to do it:

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action
    Good link to bookmark.
    Thanks! I too copied your text, it was well written. I also book marked that page, I'm sure I'll use it in the future, they're all guilty of fraud and deception. It's just a matter of being caught doing it.
    Nice. Sent mine off.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    FWIW: the only thing VZW "crippled" is 3rd party access to THEIR aGPS servers. they've publicly stated that they are concerned with 3rd party gps apps and "security." They even went so far as to say that they are aware of the "loop holes" in their cripplage and that they intend to close them.
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    FWIW: the only thing VZW "crippled" is 3rd party access to THEIR aGPS servers. they've publicly stated that they are concerned with 3rd party gps apps and "security." They even went so far as to say that they are aware of the "loop holes" in their cripplage and that they intend to close them.
    That isn't entirely clear; there may be other location-related changes within the VZW version of webOS that are impacting on overall GPS functionality. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    That isn't entirely clear; there may be other location-related changes within the VZW version of webOS that are impacting on overall GPS functionality. {Jonathan}
    true...but those weren't publicly disclosed by VZW as was the api security thing. of course, you know that...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Got my response from Verizon re: my FCC complaint today. They basically said exactly what they said to Jonathan, which is that we were reading too much into "Assisted and Standalone GPS" and that they removed the "Assisted" from the website. I think this is a silly argument. According to VZW themselves, customers think "Assisted GPS" means "Assisted GPS in support of third-party applications." VZW thinks it means "Assisted GPS not necessarily in support of third-party applications." They are both equally valid and it seems to me that any reasonable person would assume the FORMER, since pretty much every other non-VZW smartphone that advertises "Assisted GPS" DOES support third-party applications. There is no reason to think that aGPS functionality would be limited at all.

I think it is completely deceptive to blame the customer for thinking aGPS would work without VZNavigator, let alone even know the difference between standalone GPS and aGPS on a "fully featured smartphone."

The woman who wrote the letter provided an e-mail address and phone number, so I will try to call her some time this week.
    You're much better off filing an FCC complaint on the basis that Verizon said publicly that they would no longer block third-party apps from their GPS's server.

Still, you'll only get a slightly different kind of response. Verizon says when you nail them on that front, that the problem is actually a Palm device issue.

The FCC complaint process is woefully unfair to the consumer, the FCC will not take an issue to a full investigation unless one of two things happen:

1) You agree to pay for the investigation, which you can't afford
    2) Thousands of people file the same complaint

The fix is probably in webOS 2.0, since Palm didn't want to take time to fix the issue while being acquired by HP. Plus they'll be in real hot water with the mobile media if they let the issue continue to new devices... and we've made that pretty clear to them by now.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    how many times did you post this same thing? I think at least 4...
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Sorry... precentral has been giving me a lot of server errors lately and it didn't look like anything was posting.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast