Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 80.68%
  • No

17 19.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious who pays the 7 dollar a month insurance plan through sprint. i have been and often wonder if i should cut it off my bill to save me some money. If my phone breaks can i just simply put it back on my plan when i need to?

are there any other insurance options out there?

just curious guys.
    I've always had it for as along as I can remember (even back when it was $5). It's a no-brainer for me. I've used it plenty of times with no hassles. Best piece of insurance I've ever had.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  3.    #3  
    ya, i know i've used it multiple times also, even this past week to replace my battery when i learned my Getage was at 62%.

It's just come to the point where i say, 7 dollars a month is alot.
    I have it, through Sprint. Our other option was to get it through Best Buy, since that's where my wife got her BlackBerry Curve - but they require you to set up a separate billing system for them, which seemed like a pain. Sprint just adds it to your existing bill.

I'm too hard on phones to NOT have insurance - learned that lesson with my Treo 755p.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    ya, i know i've used it multiple times also, even this past week to replace my battery when i learned my Getage was at 62%.

It's just come to the point where i say, 7 dollars a month is alot.
    If you have a Pre and you don't have the TEP, you're just asking for fail.

Chances are, you might be able to save more money by changing your plan. Have you looked there to see if you have the best, up-to-date plan available?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I've been with Sprint for eleven years and nine phones and I have never had insurance on any if my phones and my Pre haven't failed me the whole time I had it...it is now my back up phone and the Evo is my primary.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I have TEP most of the time. I didn't have it with my last feature phone, as the plan would only offer me a $50 replacement, which at the time I was not under contract so could just get a new one for $50 or less. But with a smartphone, the insurance is a no brainer.
    I have it, it really is a no brainer. A years worth of insurance payment is only $84...incase I lose it, dog decides there are squirrels in it or whatever the warranty doesn't cover cuz UNACTIVATED price is substantially more, like over $500
    I have had sprint for about 6 or 7 years and have always had TEP.....I agree, if you have a Pre....get it! If it is a software issue...they fix it or give you another...if you are hard on it and break it with water damage, cracked screen or lose it...it only costs you $100 as opposed to $500.....
  10.    #10  
    ya, this is what i figured i would hear. i always thought it was an awesome plan.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    If you have a Pre and you don't have the TEP, you're just asking for fail.

Chances are, you might be able to save more money by changing your plan. Have you looked there to see if you have the best, up-to-date plan available?
    i have the cheapest plan available to me. 69.99 with a 23% discount (that hasn't started yet because i just got it applied).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterdog View Post
    I have had sprint for about 6 or 7 years and have always had TEP.....I agree, if you have a Pre....get it! If it is a software issue...they fix it or give you another...if you are hard on it and break it with water damage, cracked screen or lose it...it only costs you $100 as opposed to $500.....
    Well I do have it and over my recent vacation I had to jump into the pool to save a loved one and my Pre happened to be on my hip. It was an original launch Pre and I haven't had any issues with it so needless to say I wasn't too happy about having to replace it.

Logged onto Assurion and to my surpise it was a $100 deductible and I ended up with a refurb. For that, I could have gone onto Ebay and bought a used Pre which are going for around $120 at last gander. I'm already out almost $100 ($7.00+/mo x 12 mos.) so I'm seriously thinking about cancelling the service at this point and self-insure.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    Well I do have it and over my recent vacation I had to jump into the pool to save a loved one and my Pre happened to be on my hip. It was an original launch Pre and I haven't had any issues with it so needless to say I wasn't too happy about having to replace it.

Logged onto Assurion and to my surpise it was a $100 deductible and I ended up with a refurb. For that, I could have gone onto Ebay and bought a used Pre which are going for around $120 at last gander. I'm already out almost $100 ($7.00+/mo x 12 mos.) so I'm seriously thinking about cancelling the service at this point and self-insure.
    Yeah I got rid of my insurance. As of right now there is almost no reason to carry insurance on the PRE you can get used ones for only slightly more than the deductible. I cancelled my insurance when I found that out.
    Well I got the TEP for the first time with the Pre, but haven't used it yet. I figured might as well especially since even with it and my discount I am paying less than most people and way less then other providers. So let Sprint keep the extra cash if I don't use it...you do it every month on car and house insurance...just think if you pocketed that every month...you could also buy/fix your car if you wrecked it.

Anyways, I would agree, if you ahve a smartphone get the $7 TEP. Also they will NOT allow you to add it later past the initial 30 days, at least that was the case on the Pre (yah, I know they extended it once to everyone on Sprint as a promotion etc) But you ahve to get it on the contract within 30-45 days of upgrading.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    I guess you can find 100 ways why you don't need it, but the only thing that matters to me is that 1 thing I will need it for. It's there,you only pay deductible for replacement. If they can fix it,,its covered. I can find 7 dollars a month in my couch cushions.
    You're paying for it... even if you don't see a statement saying so. The only problem is.. that you won't reap the benefit if you deny it.
    DON'T forget the benefits:

with your $100 deductible, your also getting a fresh 1yr warranty from defects, because ya, its a refurb, **** happens.

If you buy off ebay, you have no warranty for the little problems this device has.

ALSO, insurance isn't about what you pay for in the long run, its about WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD the day of the incident, its easier to pay $100 than no-contract pricing - speaking only within your contract window when you can't upgrade.

So it does have its benefits, of course even more so when your only paying $4/mo
    I just pocket the money I would be paying on the insurance....

7x12 = $84 plus the $100 deductable = $184

so in the event something does happen I ebay or craigslist another one...

If nothing happens after that year guess what I get my upgrade with my insurance money..

Self insured

-C-
    I have TEP on both phones on my plan, I am thinking of getting a third phone and will insure it, also.

Something that not everyone knows is there can be an added benefit to having the insurance, if you have a Sprint account with no restrictions or spending limits, if your phone needs replaced and you don't immediately have the money in hand to replace it or pay the deductible, they can bill it to your account, so you pay with your next billing cycle.

If you have a problem between paychecks, this could come in handy!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    the insurance is not just about the detuctible for a replacement,, if they can fix the issue with your phone it's covered,,no additional charge,,they just fix it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast