1.    #1  
    My company has offered me a transfer to Calgary, and I did some searching and it does not look like any of the big 3 (Rogers, Telus, or Bell Mobility offer the palm pre (or plus). From the forum posts I have read it sounds like taking my Verizon pre plus and getting it activated is not an option. Is my only option to keep a webOS device to buy an unlocked/no contract AT&T GSM pre plus and put a Canadian SIM in it?

I love my phone and don't really want to have to switch unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I have a bell pre, no pre plus available but I am in ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by dunger70 View Post
    My company has offered me a transfer to Calgary, and I did some searching and it does not look like any of the big 3 (Rogers, Telus, or Bell Mobility offer the palm pre (or plus). From the forum posts I have read it sounds like taking my Verizon pre plus and getting it activated is not an option. Is my only option to keep a webOS device to buy an unlocked/no contract AT&T GSM pre plus and put a Canadian SIM in it?

I love my phone and don't really want to have to switch unless absolutely necessary.

If you don't mind voiding your warranty I can help you do a board swap and activate it on Bell. Bell only carries the regular Pre.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by dunger70 View Post

As others have said, Bell does offer the original Pre.

BUT, your best option is an unlocked AT&T Pre Plus sim-unlocked so it will work with Rogers or another Canadian GSM carrier that operates their 3G (UMTS) on the 850/1900 MHz bands.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    i would strongly recommend avoiding bell at all costs
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Rogers (GSM) has very good coverage in Alberta. So an ATT phone might do the job for you well. That said if you travel to other provinces (other than ONT) CDMA providers have far superior coverage as of today.

That said most providers are/or/have lighting up HSPA networks but these things take time in the great white.

Also....Calgary is much much more expensive than Houston. Make sure your getting a pay increase :-)
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/17/2010 at 08:46 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  7.    #8  
    Thanks for all of the responses. I guess I still have options. I was thinking of making the switch to GSM anyway, so maybe AT&T is the way to go. It looks like the pre plus is sold out online, so a trip to a store is probably in my future.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    ive had a pre for a couple months now and im on a 1x network unless i travel 45 minutes into ontario to get ev-do. so far so good with bell but there expensive
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    i would strongly recommend avoiding bell at all costs
    I would highly recommend avoiding all canadian providers, but that's really hard to do when you live in canada. They all suck!
    Bell does offer the pre
    Just so you are aware, I just recently got out of the telecom construction industry and here are some (not so known FACTS)

Roger's = Fido = Chat-r
    Telus = Koodo
    Bell = Solo
    Wind = GlobalLive

Due to the agreement made between Bell and Telus years ago (Telus used to be strictly west and Bell east), in Alberta, if you are a Bell customer and fall out of Bell coverage range, the signal piggybacks off of Telus towers/sites. There is no 'roam' charge anymore, that was a thing of the past (here in Canada anyway). Solo, Koodo, and Fido are all pretty much city based as far as I know, and not sure about how well they work outside of the city(I am thinking they don't). Chat-R started up within the last week or so as an attempt by Roger's to snuff out Wind Mobile, with equally competitive rates.
    Globe and Mail Article and from what it looks like, again, only city specific. You can go into any Bell Mobility store and buy a Palm Pre for $299 with no contract. Hope that helps you and also the Bell Palm Pre doesn't have a sim card in it. Welcome to Calgary, not sure where you're coming from, but one thing for sure, there's no weather on the planet that compares to what you'll see over the next year.

EDIT -- ah Texas....lol you poor bstrd......better bring something warm
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel