1.    #1  
    My friend broke her phone the other night and is very short on cash right now. She needs a cheap or free phone to get her by until her upgrade kicks in and she can save some money and buy a Pre or Pixi. Ive been trying to find her something really really cheap but then I remembered I have an old (several years old) Boost phone. Its a Motorola i205 and it does use a sim card. Would she be able to activate that on her acct for now or no since its the sim card type? Ive searched on Sprint.com but cant figure it out. Thanks.

Melissa
    Edit:

See Garrett's comments below...
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/03/2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: wrong info
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    My friend broke her phone the other night and is very short on cash right now. She needs a cheap or free phone to get her by until her upgrade kicks in and she can save some money and buy a Pre or Pixi. Ive been trying to find her something really really cheap but then I remembered I have an old (several years old) Boost phone. Its a Motorola i205 and it does use a sim card. Would she be able to activate that on her acct for now or no since its the sim card type? Ive searched on Sprint.com but cant figure it out. Thanks.

Melissa
    I don't think so. -Sprint phones doesn't use sim cards.
  4.    #4  
    Ok thanks. Im still hunting for the charger. If I find it Ill give them a call and see if its possible.
    Its not possible. The Boost phone you have uses the IDEN network, not CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Its not possible. The Boost phone you have uses the IDEN network, not CDMA.
    Dang.. you're right!! I totally forgot about the IDEN network. <<face-palm>>

OP.. ignore my comment above! Thanks Garrett!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Get a cheap older nextel.
    I still have my Moto i560 and it uses the sim card and I had it activated on Sprint just this spring before getting my pixi.

Call them and tell them they might be able to hook it up. Sprint's Nextel phones still using the sim cards. Maybe they could send a new one if you no longer have your old one. When I got my Pixi I made sure I could switch it back to my i560 if I needed too.

edit: i560 was like 8 bucks with free shipping when I bought it on ebay last year and still works on Sprint. need a sim though so have to talk to Sprint.
    You can activate both iden and cdma phones on a sprint account without changing any of your plan. However boost phones are locked to not work with nextel sim cards, you would need a nextel simcard to use sprint's nextel(iden) service. you would have to unlock the phone, or just find a used nextel not boost iden phone to activate.

Interestingly though nextel phones work with boost sim cards. however not vice versa.
  9.    #9  
    Ok thanks. She got a free something or another off Craigslist and when she went to activate it they said the esn was no good. The people she got it from said they had their acct turned off for not paying so we figured that would be the case. Im going to see what I can find her on Ebay.