Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I completely ruined my phone (Palm Pre); don't ask. We have no warranty. I bought it in Feb so it's been like 7 months.

So my question is: my father is eligible for an upgrade on HIS phone...but since my phone was the one trashed, he said he could give me his upgrade and I could get like Palm Pre or HTC Hero for like $150-200 instead of the out of contract 500 bucks.

But is this possible? Is he allowed to give me his upgrade? Or in other words, he'd get the Palm Pre but then we'd ask Sprint to switch our numbers so thus I would get the upgraded phone and he could get keep the phone he already has.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegame2388 View Post
    So I completely ruined my phone (Palm Pre); don't ask. We have no warranty. I bought it in Feb so it's been like 7 months.

So my question is: my father is eligible for an upgrade on HIS phone...but since my phone was the one trashed, he said he could give me his upgrade and I could get like Palm Pre or HTC Hero for like $150-200 instead of the out of contract 500 bucks.

But is this possible? Is he allowed to give me his upgrade? Or in other words, he'd get the Palm Pre but then we'd ask Sprint to switch our numbers so thus I would get the upgraded phone and he could get keep the phone he already has.
    Sounds reasonable... not the first time Ive heard of people doing that... just dont have him activate it on his line... activate it on yours.
  3.    #3  
    You mean activate the upgrade on my line right?
    You mean activate the upgrade on my line right?
    The phone... dont activate the phone on his line... activate it on yours... plain and simple.
    Ok, well. The thing is, if you use his upgrade, you HAVE to stay on THAT line with THAT phone for 30 days. If you switch, the upgrade is terminated . So then your screwed . Meaning, you will get your Pre, but you'll have to have his phone number . So, you should use the upgrade on HIS line, and have HIM switch HIS phone, to YOUR old line . So basicly, you'll have your new Pre or Hero with his Phone Number Line, and he'll have his current phone on your Phone Number Line. Then after 30 days, you can switch back. :]

Gl
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    The phone... dont activate the phone on his line... activate it on yours... plain and simple.
    Sweet thanks. You're like sure they'll allow this right? Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    As I said DO NOT activate the phone on your line. Bc, they will take away your upgrade, and you'll have to pay full price. Please, don't do that. Switch phone numbers, and follow my advice. I know from experience. You might wanna sign you up both for a Google Voice Number, so that you can get a new number for both of you, and connect it to your phone seperately, so when you guys switch back, you'll still have your same new phone number. The last part is optional, lol
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    We've had a friendly Radio Shack guy do this for us, but within a family account and a family plan. I would think that gives him a little more flexibility. If you and your father are on different plans and/or accounts, it would be much more challenging.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by v7z730ib View Post
    As I said DO NOT activate the phone on your line. Bc, they will take away your upgrade, and you'll have to pay full price. Please, don't do that. Switch phone numbers, and follow my advice. I know from experience. You might wanna sign you up both for a Google Voice Number, so that you can get a new number for both of you, and connect it to your phone seperately, so when you guys switch back, you'll still have your same new phone number. The last part is optional, lol
    Hmm... I hadnt run into that before... but it makes sense.
  10.    #10  
    Well we're going today to check it out.

But now I'm totally confused. I don't wanna have my dad's number for 30 days. And he have mine. No way Jose.

That's a huge huge hassle.

But in case you're wondering, we are within the same family plan so I'm such it's 10x easier.
    Last edited by thegame2388; 07/25/2010 at 05:52 PM.
    The only thing you won't get is any mail in rebates that are on the phone (the Pre right now has all instant) other than that you can do this with no issues.

Edit: Pre has all instant rebates online only.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    The only thing you won't get is any mail in rebates that are on the phone (the Pre right now has all instant) other than that you can do this with no issues.

Edit: Pre has all instant rebates online only.
    Well I'm probably gonna get the HTC Hero. It's gonna be like $200 for me.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Best advice? CALL SPRINT. They will let you know & you don't have to guess anymore.
    have 2 lines on my service, i've done this before, used the other numbers upgrade for me, just didn't get the mail in rebate, and it will be a year before the other number can upgrade again....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vbockius View Post
    have 2 lines on my service, i've done this before, used the other numbers upgrade for me, just didn't get the mail in rebate, and it will be a year before the other number can upgrade again....
    That's fine. No ones looking to upgrade besides me haha.

How much is the mail-in rebate?
    This kind of thing is why I have insurance!!
    That's fine. No ones looking to upgrade besides me haha.

How much is the mail-in rebate?
    Looks like you're good to get it at $150 if you order online (all instant rebates)
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    This kind of thing is why I have insurance!!
    Ditto!
    did it on verizon so should work for sprint
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast