Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Its no secret at&t has been hit and hit hard not only by android but specifically the evo and the new upcoming epic 4g which is likely to make more than a splash. at&t is going to be done for if the iphone 4 cant get a real fix for the antennas other than "heres a free case." Sprint will soon be the number two (if not one) cell phone service provider if they continue on their first 4g road. And with the apple contract expiring for at&t next year they will be absolutely screwed if they dont get more into the other markets (i.e. palm, android, blackberry). Apple is going to have to face facts and realize they cant wait any longer to make a 4g phone whether it be with verizon or sprint. They wont be staying with at&t for ever.(hopefully verizon will as promised bring 4g soon) And with talks of a Sprint-Tmobile merger if that happens then there will be huge problems for at&t, lets face it two android phones two palm phones and the basic blackberries just wont cut it once apple moves on.

Listen: all I am saying is that at&t needs to step up there game and not be completely dependent on apple for there cell phone division, the time to start building on the others is right now otherwise they are going to be done.
    Last edited by manordwall; 07/25/2010 at 04:40 PM.
    ***? Apple and ATT are doing fine, despite the growth of android. If iphone moves w/ the other carriers, they'll probably start caring about other handsets. Until then, they have no reason to.
    att is more than just a cell phone company they been around for a long time
    I'm going to Sprint ASAP! I'm on my parents plan with Verizon and I'm sick of them. Really the Customer service always saying it's my problem and to call customer support after waiting 45min in line...
    My Sprint Pre suffers from the death grip just as bad as the iPhone. Always wondered why I dropped so many calls. Hopefully, we will see some new hardware fast.
    And this thread gets this year's highly coveted "Chicken Little" award for the wackiest 'sky is falling' scenario posted. (just teasin' ya)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/24/2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typo
    After the iPhone leaves for other carriers, I suspect AT&T will start to have trouble because their phone selection isn't always top notch but they charge premium prices. Plus iPhone users may move to other carriers if the service and plans are better.

Provided Verizon wises up and makes LTE rates attractive(or at least the same as AT&T's 3G), another blow to AT&T. We've already seen they're starting their roll out within the next year and if they do it right, less people may want AT&T.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I'm going to Sprint ASAP! I'm on my parents plan with Verizon and I'm sick of them. Really the Customer service always saying it's my problem and to call customer support after waiting 45min in line...
    ***. I left Sprint for the bad customer service. Now that I am with Verizon they always replaced my phone if I have a problem, and I never get any attitude from them. Plus the coverage is much better.
    I dont want the Iphone On Verizon. I am worried that it will slow down the network.

Ps. I have squished my blackberry and held it in every way I could, and I could not reproduce what the I phone does, but the Pixi plus I have would lose about 2 bar. The Pixi never lost s signal or dropped a call like the Crap-phone maid by apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Apple is going to have to face facts and realize they cant wait any longer to make a 4g cdma phone whether it be with verizon or sprint. (hopefully verizon will as promised bring 4g soon) .
    Really. apple will not make a 4g cdma iphone cause there can be no such thing. 4g for the current cdma carriers,(sprint and verizon) is going to be wimax/and or LTE for sprint and LTE for verizon. So if apple makes a 4g phone its going to be an LTE phone. (note ATT is also going with LTE for 4g)

However I do believe that once ATT loses its exclusivity with apple, they will have to work harder to keep and bring customers. They will not be able to rely on apple exclusivity to bring them a lot of customers that would otherwise not be on ATT.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR= "Navy"]After the iPhone leaves for other carriers, I suspect AT&T will start to have trouble because their phone selection isn't always top notch but they charge premium prices.
    [/COLOR]
    I think iPhone has been the reason At&t's phone selection has been thin.
    I would suspect as iPhone moves to other carriers, At&t's phone selection will improve.
    Seriously... att is not going to go out of business just because the iphone 4 has an antenna issue and sprint has the first 4g thing going on...

The chicken little comment was very apropos... you are doomsaying something with evidence that doesnt support your claims.

ATT as a cell phone company sucks... their coverage is terrible, their plans cost too much, and call quality is little better than using $10 walkie talkies from walmart... BUT... you do realize they have things in the pipeline right?

These companies... its not like they are simply sitting around and then one day suddenly they announce they have a 4g phone ya know... im sure they already have things in the pipeline they just have told you... because quite frankly you dont matter to them... they dont even know you exist.
    AT&T is not going anywhere. They will launch their 4G network eventually. They are in a position where they don't have to be the first or even the 2nd carrier to launch 4G.

I believe Sprint will eventually be the #1 carrier because they own twice as much spectrum as AT&T and Verizon. Spectrum is king.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I'd imagine the only thing holding AT$T up is the iPhone, after that it will be screwed. I would've liked to hear this headline true, but I know it's not going to be.
    I don't get the carrier fan boy thing. I think the cell service industry in large just has so many bad practices such as over charging, changing rates at a whim, anti competitive behaviors. They are crooks in my opinion, and I think people should just pick the one best for them at the time.
    No doubt iPhone has done more for ATT than anything else to-date, but to think that SPrint (who is hanging on to the WiMax standard as the 4G future) is going to become the largest or 2nd largest carrier... I don't think so, Tim!

It seems ther is a large degree of concurrence that WiMax is going to be the loser in the 4G race. I don't know if thatmeans it disappears or not, but with both Verizon AND ATT gearing up in that direction, it will be a very cold day in Hades before WiMax even approximates the coverage and penetration.

Just my $.02

russ
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    ATT has been playing catch up right now in 3G markets. They won't even seen 4G until early 2012. Sprint will play the Wimax card as long as possible, until they realize that LTE may be a better choice. If they get WiMax2 up and running before LTE is brought out, then possible we'll see WiMax stay a while
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    At&t dead? Hardly, don't get me wrong, I love Sprint but I don't think the people at at&t are shaking in their boots just yet.
    I actually enjoy having big blue. My 3G coverage is excellent, customer service has been great so far (rarely ever have to use it), and the plan isn't too horrendous. However, I must admit that the iPhone has kept the phone selection rather thin.

The iPhone takes up roughly 50% or more of an average AT&T store it seems. From various accessories, iTunes cards, displays, etc. And why? Simple, there are a TON of Apple fans out there that'll buy virtually anything with the Apple name on it (I.E. Newton). The iPhone is the smartphone for the masses (so guess that would make it a semi-smartphone) and a tremendous money maker for both parties.

I believe AT&T is ready for the loss of exclusivity. This is probably why they have taken on Palm (I doubt T-Mobile would have had the sway to convince Palm to make the Pre a GSM device) and the Galaxy S derivative in the Captivate. The later of which changed AT&T's stance on having a powerful Android phone.

Also, this talking about terrible phone selection? I'm pretty sure Sprint and T-Mobile get my votes for being worse at having new phone selection.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Seriously... att is not going to go out of business just because the iphone 4 has an antenna issue and sprint has the first 4g thing going on...

The chicken little comment was very apropos... you are doomsaying something with evidence that doesnt support your claims.

ATT as a cell phone company sucks... their coverage is terrible, their plans cost too much, and call quality is little better than using $10 walkie talkies from walmart... BUT... you do realize they have things in the pipeline right?

These companies... its not like they are simply sitting around and then one day suddenly they announce they have a 4g phone ya know... im sure they already have things in the pipeline they just have told you... because quite frankly you dont matter to them... they dont even know you exist.
    In trying to prove AT&T isn't dead, you gave reasons why they indeed could be in trouble once the iPhone leaves. Unless they beg for an extension perhaps, lol.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast