Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    AT&T is not going anywhere. They will launch their 4G network eventually. They are in a position where they don't have to be the first or even the 2nd carrier to launch 4G.

I believe Sprint will eventually be the #1 carrier because they own twice as much spectrum as AT&T and Verizon. Spectrum is king.
    Don't be too sure it's OK if they're last of of the gate on 4G. That will just make them look more like an overpriced carrier, and sooner or later more people will notice. You think those rates will hold up forever with such slow service?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Who else's network allows simultaneous data & voice?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by snotball007 View Post
    I actually enjoy having big blue. My 3G coverage is excellent, customer service has been great so far (rarely ever have to use it), and the plan isn't too horrendous. However, I must admit that the iPhone has kept the phone selection rather thin.

The iPhone takes up roughly 50% or more of an average AT&T store it seems. From various accessories, iTunes cards, displays, etc. And why? Simple, there are a TON of Apple fans out there that'll buy virtually anything with the Apple name on it (I.E. Newton). The iPhone is the smartphone for the masses (so guess that would make it a semi-smartphone) and a tremendous money maker for both parties.

I believe AT&T is ready for the loss of exclusivity. This is probably why they have taken on Palm (I doubt T-Mobile would have had the sway to convince Palm to make the Pre a GSM device) and the Galaxy S derivative in the Captivate. The later of which changed AT&T's stance on having a powerful Android phone.

Also, this talking about terrible phone selection? I'm pretty sure Sprint and T-Mobile get my votes for being worse at having new phone selection.
    Sprint maybe, but T-Mobile had consistently better Android choices than AT&T. Until the Captivate. But they also have HD2. Their dumbphones are crap for the most part but even they have more variety. Many of AT&T dumbphones are the same Samsung rehashed. And AT&T tends to cancel good phones if they can't butcher them.

What's funny though is at one time it was indeed horrible on T-Mobile USA and AT&T had better phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Can't you get that on T-Mobile USA's 3G?

I'm not sure, maybe.

But if they merge with sprint, what network will they run on, Cdma or Gsm.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by snotball007 View Post
    This is probably why they have taken on Palm (I doubt T-Mobile would have had the sway to convince Palm to make the Pre a GSM device) .
    Er, well... there is this thing called... The Rest of the (GSM) Planet.
    C'mon, there are consumers outside of the US market, y'know!

OK, that was definitely $.05!

russ
    I'll believe it after I hear people stop b...ing.

Simultaneous data & voice paid off huge for me the other day.
    I had no Internet at my office. I left my house forgetting my Data Card.
    I just tethered to my phone and was able to do business as usual.
    I had Internet and was able to make and receive calls.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I think if Sprint keeps unlimited data, they will be number 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    All Sprint 4G phones can do it in 4G areas.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    All Sprint 4G phones can do it in 4G areas.
    Thats because the 4g phones have two radios... one for the 4g and one for 3g... the are two completely different bandwidths... it is cdma that doesnt allow both data and voice at the same time, because it is an analog signal. GSM is a digital signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Thats because the 4g phones have two radios... one for the 4g and one for 3g... the are two completely different bandwidths... it is cdma that doesnt allow both data and voice at the same time, because it is an analog signal. GSM is a digital signal.
    That's why I said "4G"

Sprint has mentioned they will continue to use 1x for voice, so it's safe to say that if you buy a 4G Sprint phone and you are in 4G coverage, you can do voice and data at the same time.

It's too bad Sprint and Verizon never got around to implementing EVDV.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    AT&T is going to carry the new Windows phone. I have no idea what will happen with that.
    That's why I said "4G"

Sprint has mentioned they will continue to use 1x for voice, so it's safe to say that if you buy a 4G Sprint phone and you are in 4G coverage, you can do voice and data at the same time.

It's too bad Sprint and Verizon never got around to implementing EVDV.
    I can agree with that... EVDV would have seen improvements in battery life too... wasnt Sprint planning a move to EVDV at one point and then decided not to? I wonder why... Hardware changes maybe... or they just didnt care about the enhanced upload speeds maybe video calling and such were pretty far off the radar at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    att is more than just a cell phone company they been around for a long time
    The ATT that is around today is not the ATT of years ago. Cingular bought ATT and is using their name. I don't think they are dead but thought would set the record straight. GSM is worldwide and not changing any too quickly.
    I have not been able to reproduce the ATT & Verizon antenna problem on my Sprint Pre no matter what I do the antenna stays the same for the area I am in.

Also, Sprint customer service was rated #1 by it's customers and magazines again for the 3rd year in a row. Plus I in my 10yrs. as a customer have only ever had 1 problem with them and that was resolved long long ago.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Apple has sold 3 million iPhone4. Well over half of those were sold on AT&T. Demand is still extremely high and even with all the news concerning Apple's antenna issues they are still selling the iPhone4 faster than they can make them. I agree that the iPhone has been the only thing keeping AT&T afloat the last 3 years but the Verizon iPhone rumors are still just rumors so I'm not betting on AT&T being concerned at this point.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Nope, CDMA is digital. Both Verizon and Sprint use EVDO for data which means Data and Voice cannot be used at the same time. Wikipedia is your friend.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Its no secret at&t has been hit and hit hard not only by android but specifically the evo and the new upcoming epic 4g which is likely to make more than a splash. at&t is going to be done for if the iphone 4 cant get a real fix for the antennas other than "heres a free case." Sprint will soon be the number two (if not one) cell phone service provider if they continue on their first 4g road. And with the apple contract expiring for at&t next year they will be absolutely screwed if they dont get more into the other markets (i.e. palm, android, blackberry). Apple is going to have to face facts and realize they cant wait any longer to make a 4g phone whether it be with verizon or sprint. They wont be staying with at&t for ever.(hopefully verizon will as promised bring 4g soon) And with talks of a Sprint-Tmobile merger if that happens then there will be huge problems for at&t, lets face it two android phones two palm phones and the basic blackberries just wont cut it once apple moves on.

Listen: all I am saying is that at&t needs to step up there game and not be completely dependent on apple for there cell phone division, the time to start building on the others is right now otherwise they are going to be done.
    At&T has actually been investing heavily in upgrading their back-end. The recent increase in tariffs (via the revised data plans) are also designed to make sure data usage is reduced and thus improve the perception of the network. I believe, in a year from now (once most people are on the new tariff) people will not be complaining about At&T's network .
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Nope, CDMA is digital. Both Verizon and Sprint use EVDO for data which means Data and Voice cannot be used at the same time. Wikipedia is your friend.
    EVDO Rev A actually allows simultaneous Data and voice however neither Verizon nor Sprint have implemented/supported it.

On Sprint Wimax is used for data only thus allowing for both data and voice simultaneously (utilizing both 4G and 3G/2G).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12