1.    #1  
    I'm a noob to WebOS and wanna say thanks to community forums like these. It's great to have a place to go to online and read up on such things. I recently have been interested in "upgrading" to a Palm Pre Plus ever since Verizon made mobile hotspot free for it. I now have the phone, but now waiting for data capping plans to take effect before activating it with Verizon

I'm actually waiting for Verizon's data capping plans to take effect because I currently have an EnV Touch with a required data plan that I hardly use. I'm upset I have to pay $10/month for 25MB/month data now. If I activate the Pre Plus now $30/month is just too high for me (even for unlimited data). I'm hoping Verizon will mirror AT&T's $14.95/month for 200MB/month data plan (175MB more data/month for just $5 more than what I'm paying now LoL). I'm around WiFi areas all day and will have data streaming turned off but I like the idea of a Pre Plus being a mobile hotspot when needed.

While I wait for Verizon's data capping plans to take effect I wanna play around with my Pre Plus NOW! =-P. I've quickly read up on bypassing activation (mostly via this forum) and think I understand what I must do but now have a few questions before I do something I may regret:

1. I currently cannot get passed creating a Palm Profile. From what I've read this is a First Use app that can be bypassed and later completed via WiFi with Meta Doctor. After using Meta Doctor and completing the First use app, would I be able to fully activate the phone with Verizon later?

2. I'd still have access to App Catalog and future WebOS updates after using Meta Doctor, correct?
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. I was given a Pre and would like to use it but can't afford the monthly data plan charge. After using Meta Doctor, can I activate my voice and text service without the data?
    Me too. I have a PrPrPr $I$ $am$ $going$ $to$ $use$ $solely$ $as$ $a$ $PDA$ $for$ $now$ $and$ $don$'$t$ $want$ $to$ $pay$ $the$ $data$ $fee$. $I$ $have$ $a$ $valid$ $profile$ $I$'$d$ $love$ $to$ $activate$ $but$ $don$'$t$ $want$ $to$ $put$ $it$ $back$ $on$ $VZW$ .
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nakatinaka View Post
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. I was given a Pre and would like to use it but can't afford the monthly data plan charge. After using Meta Doctor, can I activate my voice and text service without the data?
    Sorry, but I don't think you'll be able to activate it without a data plan. Last year when I switched to an EnV Touch, they wouldn't let me activate it unless I added a data plan. I told 'em I have no need for a data plan, but they replied that the phone was considered a smartphone and needed a data plan to complete activation. I was furious, but what can I do...I already had the handset. There was no way around it as the ESN told Verizon what handset you were trying to activate...

I'm not sure if it's still the case (was almost a year ago) but that's why I'm hoping for the data capping plans to take effect ASAP =-).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    Me too. I have a PrPrPr $I$ $am$ $going$ $to$ $use$ $solely$ $as$ $a$ $PDA$ $for$ $now$ $and$ $don$'$t$ $want$ $to$ $pay$ $the$ $data$ $fee$. $I$ $have$ $a$ $valid$ $profile$ $I$'$d$ $love$ $to$ $activate$ $but$ $don$'$t$ $want$ $to$ $put$ $it$ $back$ $on$ $VZW$ .
    If you don't ever want to put it back on Verizon, then I think it's safe to Meta-Doctor your Pre+ =-). My concern is using Meta-Doctor now and being able to activate the handset with Verizon later. I still don't have a definite answer and I'm beginning to get a little anxious, so I ended up getting a pretty beat up but still working Pre locally to Meta-Doctor and experiment with.

After creating my own meta-doctor file, installing Preware, and setting up some customizations (thanks to PreCentral.net's site & forum), I now have it tuned to what I would want my Pre+ on Verizon to be. WebOS is simply amazing! Thank goodness HP recognized its potential! I might just even meta-doctor the Pre+ now and if ever Verizon introduces data capping plans, I'll be able to answer my own questions =-P.
    OK this is kinda funny, but it's an alternatve at least. I Activated another phone on the PrPrPr&#$275$; $i$ $n$ $queston$ $had$ $been$ $on$. $Called$ $and$ $asked$ $if$ $I$ $could$ $activate$ $it$ $on$ $my$ $own$ $line$ $while$ $I$ $was$ $wating$ $on$ $my$ $own$ $replacement$. $She$ $said$ $no$ $problem$ $and$ $even$ $walked$ $me$ $though$ $the$ $steps$ $of$ $their$ $new$ $Self$ $activaton$ $program$. $This$ $seemed$ $to$ $be$ $actually$ $less$ $hassle$ $at$ $the$ $time$. $So$ $I$ $tried$ $it$. $Success$! $Or$ $was$ $it$? $Seems$ $the$ $system$ $put$ $it$ $back$ $on$ $it$'$s$ $old$ $line$. $I$ $panicked$ $and$ $reactivated$ $the$ $older$ $regular$ $phone$ $right$ $back$ $and$ $called$ $VZW$ $and$ $asked$ $about$ $the$ $formerly$ $inactive$ $dataplan$. $The$ $rep$ $said$ $it$ $had$ $actually$ $unactivated$ $itself$ $after$ $I$ $redid$ $the$ &$quot$;$no$ $frills$&$quot$; $cell$ $phone$. &$quot$;$so$ $how$ $much$ $did$ $I$ $incur$&$quot$; $I$ $asked$. &$quot$;$About$ $22$ $centso$, $he$ $replied$. great