1.    #1  
    I heard rumors over and over that it is free to text message someone in Canada, without being charged for it. I have a few friends there, and I'd like to text them, but I am afraid of being charged $0.20 per international text. So yeah, anyone have any information/facts or idea? Thanks...
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
    20 cents each, confirmed.
    haven't received my bill yet, but sprint say texting is covered.
    just checked there was no additional charges.
    Last edited by crash712us; 07/11/2010 at 09:32 AM.
    I find that TXT charges to Canada seem to be hit and miss.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    well, there you have it - ....three answers = no answer!
    Is there a way to do it by web or e-mail?
    I think Google Voice will let you TXT Canadian numbers for free
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...ice&ltmpl=open

Yep...says so right on the log in page
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I text a friend of mine in CA and i have not ever been billed for it.
    I text friends in Canada and I don't remember being charged for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I think someone should send the OP a dollar by paypal so they can send 5 test messages to see what shows up on the bill... Eh?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    It's hit or miss I have 2 friends i text in Canada. One I get charged for and the other is free. Weird I know
  13.    #13  
    Yeah I am using google voice... works fine... maybe I'll try and see if it does charge haha
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
    I've used Twitter to "text" a Canadian friend, just using his hash tag.
    i saw that too, but the description says that you can "Send and receive text messages through the Google Voice app for free." I'm not sure if the distinction between app vs. web-based is just that, or something else. i'm inclined to believe that both will allow you to send and receive txt msgs for free, but have no way of confirming it.

anyhow, bump for this thread. i'd like to find out if it is possible to send/receive free txt msgs with canadian numbers as well. any more insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated. thx.

UPDATE: a little bit more digging revealed this page Google Voice - Google Mobile Help which says:

iPhone, Nokia S60, Palm webOS, Windows Mobile
    Go to m.google.com/voice in the web browser on your device to use a web-based version of Google Voice.

Features

One number. Make calls and send text messages from your Google Voice number.
    Voicemail transcription. Voicemails are automatically transcribed to text so you can read them like email.
    Free text messages. Send and receive text messages through the Google Voice app for free.
    Cheap international calls Make low-priced international calls directly from your mobile device.
    Integration. Google Voice integrates with your device's native address book or Google Contacts.
    Custom greetings. Set up different greetings for different callers.

now, the last piece of the puzzle is to figure out what "low-priced international calls" mean... anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...ice&ltmpl=open

Yep...says so right on the log in page