1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,
    My dilemma: I live in the boonies where my only options for real Internet are dial-up and satellite. I have had a Sprint Pre since launch day and have used the various tethering methods with it for my main Internet use. The only main problem is Sprint's coverage at my house sucks and I have to force my phone to "EVDO Only" to have a decent connection. As most of you know, with that setting I can't receive calls or text messages.

My mom is on Verizon (originally was with Alltel) and has 2 flip phones for only $68 per month and great coverage. I have finally convinced her to upgrade to a Pre or Pixi Plus (she's very reluctant to lose that plan). I want to be able to use Mobile Hotspot or My Tether for our Internet from her phone.

My question: is there a way to use the Mobile Hotspot without adding the tethering option to her plan? I know it's free but only for 5GB and we would use well over that much data. I know My Tether doesn't fall under that cap because it doesn't use Verizon's tethering plan, but I found it to be slower than Mobile Hotspot. Any data used with Mobile Hotspot goes towards that cap until it's turned off. I don't have this issue with Sprint, it's truly unlimited. I searched but couldn't find a discussion about this. Thanks in advance for any help, just want some clarity before making a decision.

PS: I would just switch to Verizon myself but these rumors of a new Sprint webOS phone are killing me!
    I'm affraid that you'll find that the 5GB cap applies to data used by the phone in total not just what is used by the Mobile Hotspot App.
    Mark my words, Sprint will not get an exclusive on the next webOS phone.
  4.    #4  
    I've read multiple sources that said the 5GB cap only applies to when tethering is activated. I also rooted my friend's Droid and put Wifi Tether on it and he goes well over 5GB with it and never gets charged extra because he doesn't have a tethering plan. I really don't care for Android, though. And if Sprint gets the new phone first, like more than 4 months ahead, I'm still going to get it. LOL
    the 5 gb cap is only when using the mobile hotspot. It's 1.99 per mb after that. And the hotspot and tethering are two different services.
  6.    #6  
    Its $0.25 per MB after. I guess what I'm asking for is a patched version of the MH app for Verizon that bypasses the tethering plan requirement, similar to how we Sprint users have a patched version that integrates the automatic IP forwarding.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Its $0.25 per MB after. I guess what I'm asking for is a patched version of the MH app for Verizon that bypasses the tethering plan requirement, similar to how we Sprint users have a patched version that integrates the automatic IP forwarding.
    MyTether should work for you.
  8.    #8  
    I have that now but it's slower and buggy for me. It's that's what i'll have to deal with then so be it, I feel like my connection is "ghetto," I game over it and everything, LOL.
    call sprint and nicely explain that your coverage sucks at your house and your wondering if sprint is putting up any new towers in the area... Mention you might jump ship to verizon... They will prob. Work out a deal to give you a Airwave (box that boost your signal strength) at little to no cost to you.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks, but don't you need a Broadband connection for the Airave?
    not that I know of.... But I could be completely wrong in saying that... I don't have one... Just read and got offered a airwave a couple times
    you need Broadband and a GPS fix to use a Sprint AirRave. I had 2 of them (1 for work and 1 for home) a few month back. They worked as advertised but they also want to charge $5 a month for each 1. (it might have been $10). Sprint did say last year that they would be the first to have a EVDO Femtocell, but still nothing, so you only get 1xrtt. I had to switch to the evil V for the PrePlus and better coverage (in North East).
    Sprint's 3G Airave is suppose to drop in September...

OP - either move out of the boonies to where you have more celluar options than Verizon...or switch to Verizon....that's basically what it comes down to
  14.    #14  
    Yeah, moving isn't an option at the moment, I just moved back IN with the parents as I was at college where I had great service. I'm going to wait and see what Sprint does in the next few months before I decide on switching. In the meantime I'm still going to get mom to upgrade.