1.    #1  
    After sending an initial e-mail to Verizon Wireless in mid-May about the GPS issue, and getting a call from Lisa Williams Bennett of its executive customer service team, I've sent the following string of letters, most recently the one this afternoon (which I cc'd to the CEO of Verizon, Lowell McAdam). I wanted to share them with the community and encourage others of you to try to get this message heard in as many ways as possible. {Jonathan}

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 4:44 PM
    To: 'Bennett, Lisa Williams'
    Cc: 'lowell.mcadam@verizonwireless.com'
    Subject: Verizon Wireless, Palm, GPS and formal regulatory complaints
    Dear Ms. Bennett,

I am quite disappointed that, more than six weeks after our conversation and my sending you the below detailed message and another on June 17th, I have heard nothing from you or anyone else at Verizon regarding either an acknowledgment of the issue or a definitive plan and schedule to remedy it. My Pre Plus remains unable to effectively use many GPS-enabled applications that run on the phone as sold by other carriers, since I must manually launch VZ Navigator (even without a subscription) to wake the GPS up before any other application can see or use the GPS.

At this point, my next step will be to file formal complaints with New York’s Public Service Commission and the Federal Communications Commission, in hopes that those agencies can succeed where I and so many thousands of other Verizon customers have failed in getting Verizon to address this issue. I would very much prefer to work with Verizon Wireless on behalf of the webOS community to discover and disseminate a fix for this situation, but am unwilling to wait indefinitely.

I would ask that you promptly respond to this message to advise me of Verizon Wireless’ plans to provide a remedy for the crippling of the Palm Pre Plus’ GPS. {Jonathan Ezor}

-------------------
    Jonathan I. Ezor
    Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:05 AM
    Subject: RE: Your complaint to Verizon Wireless
    Importance: High

Ms. Bennett,

It has been almost one month since I sent you the below. What is the status of this investigation and efforts to remedy the situation for Verizon Wireless’ many Pre Plus users? By the way, since my last note, I have discontinued my VZ Navigator trial subscription, and find that (as with every other Pre Plus user) I must still launch the application in order to “wake up” my Pre Plus’ GPS for other apps to use.

I look forward to hearing back from you on this shortly. {Jonathan}
    -------------------
    Jonathan I. Ezor
    Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 4:23 PM
    Subject: RE: Your complaint to Verizon Wireless
    Importance: High

Ms. Bennett,

Thank you so much for following up, and for the opportunity to provide you with this information. The following are just a few of the many stories and discussions (including within Verizon’s own forum) demonstrating the problems that only Verizon Wireless’ Pre Plus is having with GPS:

Palm Pre Plus GPS issue - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

GPS Problem denied by Verizon tech support - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

Countdown til I leave Verizon... - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

http://www.precentral.net/verizon-pr...gps-after-1411

http://www.precentral.net/3rd-party-...-pre-pixi-plus

http://www.precentral.net/verizon-pr...s-issues-webos

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ps-issues.html

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2442211

GPS! - Palm Support Community

Why I Dumped My Palm Pre Plus After A Month

Palm Pre Plus GPS Might Be a Little Janky

Palm Pre Plus plagued by problems with the GPS? Boy Genius Report

Apparently, this is not a new issue for Verizon and smartphones with GPS:

Verizon: Please Stop Disabling GPS in Smartphones on Your Network

Verizon Locks Out GPS Competition, Customers Complain - PCWorld Business Center

Also, note that reviewers (such as Palm Pre Plus (AT&T) - Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine and http://www.precentral.net/att-palm-pre-plus-review) observe that AT&T’s essentially identical Pre Plus has excellent GPS functionality, in sharp contrast to the Verizon Wireless devices they have tested.

At this point, I like many Verizon customers with Pre Plus phones am at a loss; mine simply does not work properly, and often only gets a fix if I’m using VZ Navigator, for which Verizon charges $10/month. Given that Verizon’s own page for the Pre Plus (<http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5129>) describes the Pre Plus as having “Assisted & Standalone GPS,” one would think that those features actually worked, but they simply do not. This is unacceptable and a breach of Verizon’s public trust.

I love my Pre Plus, and I am happy with Verizon’s service overall, but the company needs to both publicly acknowledge this issue, and commit to and follow through on a rapid fix. As I had mentioned during our conversation, I would be happy to work with your technicians on troubleshooting and testing any proposed solutions.

I look forward to further word from you on resolving this issue. {Jonathan}
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/03/2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: deleted personal address
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Thanks a lot!!! Maybe they will treat us like androids one day.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Jonathan - Thanks for your continuing efforts on behalf of the Verizon Palm Pre owners who have had to tolerate the GPS issues. I still hope that the next WebOS update 1.4.5.? will fix the problem if it is a software issue as some have suggested. If it is a systemic issue with Verizon cellular network then I hope that Verizon will take the matter seriously enough to respond to its customers.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    does anyone know if the palm pre update will, in fact, fix this verizon gps problem, when and if the pre update hits domestic us carriers?

barry
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbafam View Post
    does anyone know if the palm pre update will, in fact, fix this verizon gps problem, when and if the pre update hits domestic us carriers?

barry
    More then likely not.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Good luck. Verizon and GPS was always an issue and always will be an issue. Not because they need to release any updates or anything, but because they always cripple the GPS in all of their phones when possible.