1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I am planning on getting the Palm Pre on Bell.
    I have a $200 hardware upgrade and I am planning on buying it for $100.
    Now I currently do not have a data plan, and am wondering if it is possible to use the Meta Doctor to activate the phone over wifi and then disable 3G and use the phone with never connecting to 3G and never paying for data. (My campus is covered in wifi hehe)

~Thanks for any help!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Don't know about that, but Bell does have a deal on the Pre for $35/month for 3 years with $0 for the phone and $75 of free accessories. They also offer one additional option (we chose unlimited messaging though they also offer unlimited long distance to 5 numbers).
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaBoy View Post
    Hey guys,

I am planning on getting the Palm Pre on Bell.
    I have a $200 hardware upgrade and I am planning on buying it for $100.
    Now I currently do not have a data plan, and am wondering if it is possible to use the Meta Doctor to activate the phone over wifi and then disable 3G and use the phone with never connecting to 3G and never paying for data. (My campus is covered in wifi hehe)

~Thanks for any help!
    Yes, you can activate without data with Meta-Doctor.

You don't need to turn off 3G, you just need to go to the Phone Preferences and turn off Data Usage. The phone will switch between 2G and 3G for best reception. Common misconception here, 3G =/= data. You can have data on a 2G network as well, i.e. your phone can have data on 1xRTT.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 06/13/2010 at 10:19 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Yes, you can activate without data with Meta-Doctor.

You don't need to turn off 3G, you just need to go to the Phone Preferences and turn off Data Usage. The phone will switch between 2G and 3G for best reception. Common misconception here, 3G =/= data. You can have data on a 2G network as well, i.e. your phone can have data on 1x.
    I thought the Palm Pre runs on the CDMA network?
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaBoy View Post
    I thought the Palm Pre runs on the CDMA network?
    Yes.

3G is a very generic term. Both 1xEVDO and UMTS are considered 3rd Generation phone standards. 1xRTT/EVDO belongs to the CDMA 3GPP2 family, and UMTS/HSPA belongs to the 3GPP of GSMA.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I've had my pre for a year on bell, I don't use much data at all. maybe 20megs a month, So I'm looking forward to getting ride of it, But I don't really trust my Pre not to just turn it back on after a reset or or a power down and then I'm going to forget about it and the Pre likes to just go out and grab data from all over with Apps and backups and such so I will get nabbed with a costly bill, I really liked how my Palm Treo 680 I could just go in and not type in my IP's and it just couldn't connect.