Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    My girlfriend has been having some problems with returning a Pre (under warranty) to Bell. This is her 4th Pre that broke, however this time they are apparently charging her $400 for the phone. The sliding part of the phone came loose and basically almost came off. It looked like a screw came out or something of that nature. This was her 4th phone (now on her 5th) and she only had it for about 3 weeks.

Now I know the Pre is known for having major hardware problems such as this, so is there anything she can say to the reps? She called a rep yesterday but apparently she was pretty rude to her on the phone and wasn't helpful at all. They seem to have an issue with the fact the phone was almost in two pieces. After much *****ing, they are setting up a conference call between Bell and Palm.

Any advice any of you guys may have would be invaluable. This is actually making me quite mad that she would be treated this way.

Matt
    Bell has to replace it. Period. If they give you any hassle, then tell them your leaving.

And if you need me to send an angry email, brother, you got it.

I love my Pre, but I have never been a big fan of Bell.
    call palm.. They are nicer...
    Yeah, and it's really too bad about how many Pre's she's gone through. I still have a launch day Pre, but a Bell rep I spoke to told me that Palm has had a lot of problems with build quality. For many years. Even before the Pre.

Sorry about the problems. Talk to Palm. And DON'T pay $400!
    if in the end you are unable t get it for free,keep in mind that bell is selling new ones for 300, no contract. And they are about 100 used...
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    if in the end you are unable t get it for free,keep in mind that bell is selling new ones for 300, no contract. And they are about 100 used...
    I highly doubt she will be getting a Pre again.
    Palm Canada won't do anything. Lots of stories about people contacting them and get turned to Bell Canada.

Even TreoAide on the official Palm forums say so. They aren't authorized to handle anything in Canada.

Luckily my first 2 broke within the first 15 days, it was an over the counter replacement, otherwise I'm sure I have to go through the same crap.

I really hope Palm step it up in Canada. I've been trying to tell people to get the Pre, but it's generally negative here, though there have been some people getting it after Bell started the monthly discount, but it's still a very hard sell.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 06/12/2010 at 10:12 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Yeah, and it's really too bad about how many Pre's she's gone through. I still have a launch day Pre, but a Bell rep I spoke to told me that Palm has had a lot of problems with build quality. For many years. Even before the Pre.
    Maybe I was just lucky but my zire 72 was incredibly solid, and compared to my friend's HP Ipaq it was much better which is why I bought the Pre. Ironically I am dissatisfied with the build quality of the Pre I bought 6 months ago and the company I was avoiding has bought Palm. I wish I read these forums more regarding the build quality before buying a Pre, or the Nexus One released a month sooner.
    well once your pre brakes once you get stucked with refurbished models, and they suck...
    IANAL.

The Pre should still be on warranty as not Bell unit are older than 1 year. Even if it is not on warranty you should be able to get a replacement for free.

I don't know for other provinces, but in Quebec, you are covered by the legal warranty which state that what you buy should work for a reasonable time (which is often much longer than the manufacturer warranty). Having a 3 year contract should make the reasonable time last for 3 years (as you cannot exit your contract for free if the device fails).

At the last resort, you can file a small claim court suit. First, she should send Bell a recommended letter asking then to comply with the legal warranty or she will pursue legal actions.
    I pay 7$ a month for the smartphone care insurance. Last weekend I lost my phone and had it stolen and only had to pay a 150 deductible for a replacement.