1.    #1  
    i am thinking about the new evo 4g, but would keep the pre as a back up. i have never had two sprint devices, and am used to gsm where one simple changes sim cards. Will the pre work as a pda without service? also how easy is it to switch between devices? do i need to get a sprint rep on the phone each time? or can it be done online?

thanks
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    u can do online but just use google voice no need to switch around....thats what i do
    I think that you can change which device is activated on the Sprint website. It takes a few hours to switch though
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Yes, you can switch easily on the Sprint website. They say it takes up to a few hours to switch, it's never taken me more than 5 minutes.

If it's a device that has already been activated on your account in the past, there's no fee or anything, you could theoretically switch back and forth as much as you want.
    I switched between a pre and a pixi for a while. Never had any problems. You can change them on the website, and like jhoff80 mentioned, it never took more than 5-10 mins for the change to take effect.

I can't speak for whether or not sprint charges for it, but I never had any extra fees on my bill so I assume they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    I switched between a pre and a pixi for a while. Never had any problems. You can change them on the website, and like jhoff80 mentioned, it never took more than 5-10 mins for the change to take effect.

I can't speak for whether or not sprint charges for it, but I never had any extra fees on my bill so I assume they don't.
    Yeah, I should clarify that a little. The first activation of a phone on your account may have a fee.

So for example, if you have a Pre and then buy a Pixi, you MAY have to pay to activate the Pixi (depending on deals at the time, your Sprint Premiere status, phase of the moon, etc.) However, once you activate the Pixi the first time, you can switch back and forth between the two phones as often as you want with no fee.
    Switched between my Hero and Pre online -- no fees, no hassle.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    any idea how this works on VZW? Thinking about getting a pixi plus also.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yes, you can switch easily on the Sprint website. They say it takes up to a few hours to switch, it's never taken me more than 5 minutes.

If it's a device that has already been activated on your account in the past, there's no fee or anything, you could theoretically switch back and forth as much as you want.
    This has pretty much cemented my decision to get evo. If I could switch my phone every month or even every week? That's basically what I wanted to do anyway... the cloud would make it easy.

Also, I just watched the iphone 4 video and must say that every one of their "world changers" is on the checklist of reasons I'm buying the evo. i will say it certainly is eye pleasing though.
  10.    #10  
    Is the inactive phone still accessible as a PDA?
    Hey BigNoze, I'm unknowing about Google Voice. Would you explain how you use it?
    Pre for work, EVO for weekend. That's the plan...
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    Is the inactive phone still accessible as a PDA?
    Yes, should be able to access wifi.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    Hey BigNoze, I'm unknowing about Google Voice. Would you explain how you use it?
    Can't speak for the Pre/Pixi, but my old 800w is being used as a PDA, wifi works fine on it. Two different radios.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post

Wow that's great...If I have a Pre and also a very small cell, when I do not want a very obvious phone on my belt, (for example, when I am where a suit or anything tailored that would look obvious if I wore the Pre on my belt), I can switch back & forth?? Great to know!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    You know, I've never thought about what happens with a Pre if another phone is activated in its place. I know it won't start from scratch (new or following a trip to the doctor) without a cell signal... So, I assume it will just give a network error if you active a different phone and then try to make a call or access 3G?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic