1.    #1  
    I am in a "fringe" Sprint coverage area. Sprint customer service says that the reception will not get any better, so I should either migrate to Nextel (Sprint provides a brand new phone) or cancel. I really do not want to cancel and go with another provider, mainly because of the rate plans with Sprint.

Does anyone have any experience with a 1900 mhz repeater and the Pre? Like the zBoost or something along those lines? Do they help or are they a waste of time?

And before anyone throws out the idea of the Airave, I can not use it. No DSL or cable connection where I am located. I am currently using Verizon Internet running off old Alltel towers. Sprint says the connection is not reliable enough for the Airave to be usable for me.

So that leaves me with only one option to keep my Sprint Pre, the 1900 mhz repeater. Any one ever try one?
    I would love to know this also, please post if you get any info.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    why not get an airwave? I live in a fringe area too - Airwave is fantastic! I think the newest ones even support 3G data. Mine only does 1x but wifi fixes that easy enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by spineinky View Post
    why not get an airwave? I live in a fringe area too - Airwave is fantastic! I think the newest ones even support 3G data. Mine only does 1x but wifi fixes that easy enough!
    Well... OP said the Airrave wasn't an option...
    Quote Originally Posted by spineinky View Post
    Dial-up and Satellite are my only options at home, and Satellite Internet is way too expensive.
    Well, Nextel isn't an option. They are still running on the iDEN network and don't have any good phones...

Have you considered switching carriers? Since you have no coverage, I'm sure Sprint will let you out of your contract. Does Verizon or AT&T have good coverage where you live?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Well, Nextel isn't an option. They are still running on the iDEN network and don't have any good phones...

Have you considered switching carriers? Since you have no coverage, I'm sure Sprint will let you out of your contract. Does Verizon or AT&T have good coverage where you live?
    if the op can't afford satellite internet he most certainly can't afford at&t or big red
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Why only get a 1900 mhz amplifier. I got the Wilson Desktop repeater and am happy iwth it. I had 2 bars outside the house and spotty reception in the house. Brick and stone make very good signal attenuators. I put the antenna in a window and have 5 bars inside the house now. going to try to improve the antenna location to get above the trees and other buildings.

There are several options and you can build your own system. If you need hi-gain you can get a yagi antenna and pull in a really fringe signal.
  9.    #9  
    I would love to get the Airave. Does anyone know if it will run ok on Verizon internet? I have no DSL or cable option. The Verizon aircard connects at about 1.6 mbits down and 700 k up without amp or antenna.

As for switching, can't go to AT&T they have absolutely no 3g service, and I refuse to pay Verizon more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by arkieboy View Post
    I would love to get the Airave. Does anyone know if it will run ok on Verizon internet? I have no DSL or cable option. The Verizon aircard connects at about 1.6 mbits down and 700 k up without amp or antenna.

As for switching, can't go to AT&T they have absolutely no 3g service, and I refuse to pay Verizon more money.
    It isn't going to work very well, if at all. The latency of a mobile broadband network makes it not viable for VoIP really.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)