1. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Now, this is probably a pretty rare situation, but it is possible, under the right circumstances, which are as follows: my wife had a Samsung Cleo with just a straight minutes/text plan, and she found a Pre for sale locally (a woman won it from a radio station giveaway), BNIB, never activated.

Short version:
    - convert from an existing phone
    - activate online
    - run activation bypass tool
    - doctor to latest version
    - enjoy the phone

I used the Bell online tool to activate it, but couldn't get by the Palm Profile setup, since you need a data connection to set it up. I used the Palm Activation bypass tool to get past that, and setup the wifi without too much trouble (except for the 63 char random wifi password I have...) but then I had to re-run the FirstUse app. I tried the patch to enable it but it didn't work. Eventually I found out how to do it manually, and got it to show up so I tried running it, but it just hung forever. I tried it again later and it worked, so I setup the profile as well.

Then I realized it was only running WebOS 1.1.0 (even before a launch phone!) but I couldn't get the OTA update to work (I don't think that version supports WiFi OTA updates) so I doctored it to 1.4.0 (I thought I had the latest 1.4.1, didn't notice until it was done) which worked fine, except that it screwed up the phone activation somehow, so it would constantly flip online/offline, and in the ##DATA# menu, the MEID was gone. I screwed around with it for awhile but got nowhere, and as it was late Sunday by this point I figured I'd call C/S on Monday. On a lark I did a 'check for updates' and it came back with 'update 1.4.1 is available', so I updated, and once it came back up after the update, the phone portion was fixed and everything worked perfectly.

Now it's got Uber-Kernel and all the (what I consider necessary) patches, now I just need to get her contacts off the old phone and I'll be done!

In hindsight, if I had doctored it to 1.4.1 as the first step, then done the activation, it probably would have worked better, I just never figured the OS would have been that old.

Hope this helps someone in the future, as it took me all day to find the right info. If anyone wants specific information, just ask.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    I bet you get a bill for the data usage!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

you should definitely check your account and see if you have incurred any data charges... before the bill gets too high.
    I used a whole 10 megs last months, I wonder why i pay Bell for 500megs, I would like to disconnect and only use wifi which is 99% of the time.. I would forsure like doing this when i go back to Fido with a GSM version in the near future, hopefully 3 or 4 months.

edit: I think it's stupid that they make you have to have data, I should be able to use any phone I want and just turn off Data, but they are all greedy,
    Last edited by Greg Mair; 05/17/2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I used a whole 10 megs last months, I wonder why i pay Bell for 500megs, I would like to disconnect and only use wifi which is 99% of the time.. I would forsure like doing this when i go back to Fido with a GSM version in the near future, hopefully 3 or 4 months.

edit: I think it's stupid that they make you have to have data, I should be able to use any phone I want and just turn off Data, but they are all greedy,
    Will somebody please explain to me what is the point of having a Pre if you dont have the data?

Being connected to the cloud all of time is the biggest selling point!

I mean why not just buy an ipod touch if you only want wifi
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Will somebody please explain to me what is the point of having a Pre if you dont have the data?

Being connected to the cloud all of time is the biggest selling point!

I mean why not just buy an ipod touch if you only want wifi
    I'm not quite sure... Maybe if you have constant access to a wifi network.

I agree with you though. The Pre really needs a constant data connection to function. Otherwise, it's kinda useless...
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post

Start tethering and you'll see your usage up the roof.

I used to rack up 300+ MBs on Fido with my 6GB.

Guess I need to start going to desktop versions of pages instead of mobile. I'm only using 48MB in about 2 weeks.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  8. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    The phone is for my wife, she most likely will not use data outside the house, the phone portion works fine everywhere, she mostly does texting, plus the price was ridiculously good, so it was pretty much a no-brainer. If we have to put it on a data plan, fine, but there is really no need.

And no, the phone is not useless without data, it just changes your usage pattern. But if your usage pattern didn't include data usage to begin with, what are you missing exactly? Also, it's nothing like an iPod touch with wifi, if you are going to make an analogy, then say 'you might as well get an iPhone with no data plan', which is more to the point, but equally silly.

I didn't start the thread to debate the merits of data versus non-data plans, I just wanted to let people know that it's possible. As I said, it's a pretty rare situation, but if it helps the next person who wants to do it, great!

Tom
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Now, this is probably a pretty rare situation, but it is possible, under the right circumstances, which are as follows: my wife had a Samsung Cleo with just a straight minutes/text plan, and she found a Pre for sale locally (a woman won it from a radio station giveaway), BNIB, never activated.

Short version:
    - convert from an existing phone
    - activate online
    - run activation bypass tool
    - doctor to latest version
    - enjoy the phone

I used the Bell online tool to activate it, but couldn't get by the Palm Profile setup, since you need a data connection to set it up. I used the Palm Activation bypass tool to get past that, and setup the wifi without too much trouble (except for the 63 char random wifi password I have...) but then I had to re-run the FirstUse app. I tried the patch to enable it but it didn't work. Eventually I found out how to do it manually, and got it to show up so I tried running it, but it just hung forever. I tried it again later and it worked, so I setup the profile as well.

Then I realized it was only running WebOS 1.1.0 (even before a launch phone!) but I couldn't get the OTA update to work (I don't think that version supports WiFi OTA updates) so I doctored it to 1.4.0 (I thought I had the latest 1.4.1, didn't notice until it was done) which worked fine, except that it screwed up the phone activation somehow, so it would constantly flip online/offline, and in the ##DATA# menu, the MEID was gone. I screwed around with it for awhile but got nowhere, and as it was late Sunday by this point I figured I'd call C/S on Monday. On a lark I did a 'check for updates' and it came back with 'update 1.4.1 is available', so I updated, and once it came back up after the update, the phone portion was fixed and everything worked perfectly.

Now it's got Uber-Kernel and all the (what I consider necessary) patches, now I just need to get her contacts off the old phone and I'll be done!

In hindsight, if I had doctored it to 1.4.1 as the first step, then done the activation, it probably would have worked better, I just never figured the OS would have been that old.

Hope this helps someone in the future, as it took me all day to find the right info. If anyone wants specific information, just ask.
    It just happened to me, I erase the app et data in the device info and it deleted the palm profil.

So the phone stop working and all it wants to do is create a palm profil which was not possible. I wanted to follow the step giving here, but I didn't have wifi at work. So I contacted the Bell customer service, he activated my data plan and I was able to go through the palm profil activation step.

Someone is selling the pre used for 100$ here in Montreal. This phone don't hold much value here.

I agree with the previous post, can we have more detail of the steps?

example: how do I run the firstuss app? How do I create a palm profile manually?

because that can happen to me again, and it would be nice how to turn the wifi manually.

Thank you
    Last edited by fanfaron; 09/03/2010 at 09:08 AM.