Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One of my friends went in to a Verizon store today and was told they had stopped offering the Pre Plus in store there, and that in the next few weeks, Verizon was going to stop offering the Pre Plus at all.

Has anyone else heard this? Is Verizon really dropping the Pre Plus already? Before the Pre Plus even launches on AT&T?
    Follow me on Twitter

GTalk: thomascoe1

Black Sanyo Katana --> Blue Sanyo Katana --> Sanyo VI-2300 --> Blue LG Rumor --> Blue LG Rumor --> Palm Pre --> Palm Pixi --> Samsung Nexus S 4G
    that's just because the salesman doesn't make as much on a $49 phone. He is selling what pays, not what fits the customer...
    rule of thumb...

the last person to be briefed on product strategy and be generally on top of market forces would be someone working at a retail store selling phones.

I'm sure they are nice people, but their job is to sell what they have, and sell what pays. They aren't paid to be strategic thinkers that forecast marketing trends to people coming in to upgrade... Just sayin'
    I concur, VZW sales rep did everything in his power to sell me on the HTC Incredible and stop looking at the Pre. I admit is has a nice browser, but I still like the Pre better.
  5.    #5  
    Actually, correction: The Verizon rep said Verizon was getting rid of the Pre Plus entirely in a few DAYS.
    Follow me on Twitter

Black Sanyo Katana --> Blue Sanyo Katana --> Sanyo VI-2300 --> Blue LG Rumor --> Blue LG Rumor --> Palm Pre --> Palm Pixi --> Samsung Nexus S 4G
    Oh and best of all the Pre had GPS turned off so if you tried to compare Navigator to Google maps on Droid you got...can't find location. Maybe this should be under devious VZW sales reps.
    vz is trying to become synonomous with android the way iphone is associated with at&t.

the droid costs more, has a higher commission, and has marketing momentum.

droid is the easy sale, like blackerry used to be. The reps can't help it.

unfortunate, but true. And even if they dropped tthe Pre, your friends phone would keep on working. My centro worked long past when verizon stopped carrying it. In fact, it still works.
    I wish we could get preware on the store phones somehow... We could stop by and soup them up.

as it is I like to set up links to precentral and send text messages that talk about cool features. Just walk in. And text yourself from each display phone!

now I could only figure out how to overclock them!
  9.    #9  
    I know it'll keep working if they drop it, he's just worried about actually GETTING it. He's not eligible for an upgrade until late this month, so if they stop carrying the Pre Plus before then, he won't be able to get one
    Follow me on Twitter

trust me, they have plenty!
    This does sound correct after the phone call I just got... see my other post:

(can't post a link yet so some mod needs to fix this)

cdma-north-america/247368-attn-verizon-customers-10-off-your-service-forget-about-gps.html
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 05/20/2010 at 08:03 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I personally work for Vz and I can attest to the fact that they won't drop the Palm line , not for awhile yet. I do agree the sales ppl do push the better selling products more, al about the their cut. Sure am glad I don't have to deal with that,LOL.But seriously don't worry, the Palm line will be with BigRed atleast till years end .
    Well, I am thomasacoe's friend, and I got a Pre Plus (High fives, everyone!) However, the sales rep at my local store said that Verizon was, indeed, in the process of dropping the Pre and Pixi Plus. Apparently, they launched a promo where that anyone could upgrade to either Palm device, no matter their current upgrade availability- looks like there was truth to that rumor. He said that the plan was to have the Palm devices totally dropped by the middle of next month, not like the rep at the other store I went to's few days to a week.
    He said that this was due to the HP-Palm buyout, and that Verizon was apparently going to carry whatever new smartphone they cooked up.
    Now, I hate to start rumors, but if you ask me, this sounds like Verizon knows that HP/Palm has a new a new device in the works- and that it's gonna be out before/around the time they run out of Pre/Pixi stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by F6F Freak View Post
    Well, I am thomasacoe's friend, and I got a Pre Plus (High fives, everyone!) However, the sales rep at my local store said that Verizon was, indeed, in the process of dropping the Pre and Pixi Plus. Apparently, they launched a promo where that anyone could upgrade to either Palm device, no matter their current upgrade availability- looks like there was truth to that rumor. He said that the plan was to have the Palm devices totally dropped by the middle of next month, not like the rep at the other store I went to's few days to a week.
    He said that this was due to the HP-Palm buyout, and that Verizon was apparently going to carry whatever new smartphone they cooked up.
    Now, I hate to start rumors, but if you ask me, this sounds like Verizon knows that HP/Palm has a new a new device in the works- and that it's gonna be out before/around the time they run out of Pre/Pixi stock.
    Welcome to PreCentral.

I wanted to verify that this is a Verizon corporate store and not a third-party seller.
    the pre has been out for a year next month so a new phone coming out by the end of next month is not all that unbelievable .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Made a few calls to my wireless brethren, he did say Palm was gonna be around for along while, he could neither confirm nor deny that VZW was getting the next Palm product.So I proceed to give him a hard time about being on the fence, he says that is the best he could do atm due to ongoing talks between Palm and VZ.One other thing that he said was that Palm sales as a whole are up in the Midwestern region of the US for VZW. Wish they were up all over personally. So take the info for what it is worth,sounds like something is definately going on we just need to wait it out .
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrose001 View Post
    Made a few calls to my wireless brethren, he did say Palm was gonna be around for along while, he could neither confirm nor deny that VZW was getting the next Palm product.So I proceed to give him a hard time about being on the fence, he says that is the best he could do atm due to ongoing talks between Palm and VZ.One other thing that he said was that Palm sales as a whole are up in the Midwestern region of the US for VZW. Wish they were up all over personally. So take the info for what it is worth,sounds like something is definately going on we just need to wait it out .
    Do we keep paying them for the service we aren't getting while we wait? That's the part I don't get. We keep getting these, "it'll be OK" statements while we keep paying for stuff we aren't getting. GPS isn't a kudos on the phone that we should be thankful to possibly have. It's something they advertise as available, which it isn't.

All I know is, the corporate level has no interest in anything with Palm phones. They are pushing the Droids and did not have any plan available for Palm other then telling me to get some other phone.

I think the only thing we do know about what Verizon is doing is that nobody has a clue and everyone thinks they do and we are going to pay the most for it and wait the longest and get lied to. But at least we can count on all of that...
    I don't think Verizon will drop Pre/Pixi-plus phones. Infact they may run out of their Palm branded Pre/Pixi-Plus phones, or stop selling those till they get a HP emblem on those beginning in August. Pre/Pixi-Plus are too good to be served as base models in HP/Palm line, and Verzon also understands that. And if Pre/Pixi-Plus models continue to serve as base models for the new HP/Palm line of 'smartphones', then it is implied the new smartphones' from the HP/Palm line are all going to be high-end models. So in the long run VZ will continue to sell Pre/Pixi-Plus phones as base models.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Welcome to PreCentral.

I wanted to verify that this is a Verizon corporate store and not a third-party seller.
    This is an authorized Verizon retailer.
    Sorry for the delay, and glad to be here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast