Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I live within Sprint's service area, but the service (signal strength) is actually horrible in my little town. So bad, that I qualified for a free AirRave device. I wanted to support Palm Pre so, I went with Sprint anyway.

Now, Verizon actually has very good signal strength in my town. BUT, I am not able to subscribe to their service because I guess we are not in their service area.

Is there a way around this restriction? Just curious...
    If you're not in a Verizon service area, how can you tell they have a better signal?
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    if they have a signal, you must be in their service area...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Good question
    I'm basing off of their service coverage map on the website, which shows that my city is in their "digital coverage (red)" area.

Secondly, my brother has Verizon and gets excellent coverage when he visits.

But, when I type in my zip code to purchase their service, it says that they don't offer any plans for my area.

It's not the end of the world, and I'm sure that there are some legal and competitive factors involved -- I was just wondering if there were any 'work-arounds'? I've been waiting for AT&T service, but the Verizon pricing is much better!
    Go to a Verizon Store. thats the best way
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Go in, get a phone and try it where you live. If it works, great. If it doesn't you can always return it within the first 30 days and cancel your contract. You might want to double check with your brother, and make sure he is getting a true Verizon signal, and not some other carrier.

FWIW, my brother lives in an area where Sprint shows no service coverage, but he gets reception through US Celluar. That didn't stop a Sprint corporate store from selling him a phone. Now they're hassling him because he spends so much time roaming.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Typically that means Verizon isn't licensed to sell in your zip code... What you could try to do is go to a nearby town to buy, but I kind of doubt they will sell to you either because your billing zip would be what they base the sale off off. You could try to use a relatives address or something for billing purposes....

Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    Good question
    I'm basing off of their service coverage map on the website, which shows that my city is in their "digital coverage (red)" area.

But, when I type in my zip code to purchase their service, it says that they don't offer any plans for my area.

It's not the end of the world, and I'm sure that there are some legal and competitive factors involved -- I was just wondering if there were any 'work-arounds'? I've been waiting for AT&T service, but the Verizon pricing is much better!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Just a quick followup....I called Verizon. They said that they would indeed ship me a phone, although the number would not be local. It is "extended" coverage, which, I'm guessing means that they are using US Cellular towers (I wish Sprint would do that!). But he said that the data service would still be full 3G.

Wirefly.com has the phone for free with the same plan. They also said they would ship to me, but it required a few more 'strings'.
    Sprint does use US Cellular towers. When I'm in Cave Junction (in southern Oregon) at my brothers I am their territory. Works much better than AT&T and Verizon phones in the same area. He has Sprint phones and is getting hassled because he spends so much time roaming (even thought it was a local Sprint store that sold him the phone).

Just a quick followup....I called Verizon. They said that they would indeed ship me a phone, although the number would not be local. It is "extended" coverage, which, I'm guessing means that they are using US Cellular towers (I wish Sprint would do that!). But he said that the data service would still be full 3G.

Wirefly.com has the phone for free with the same plan. They also said they would ship to me, but it required a few more 'strings'.

Good question

If you set your Pre to Automatic, you're gonna pick up the same Verizon signal anyway.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I'm not sure that is the case for me. I've tried the "automatic" thing and called Sprint a few times. The only way for me to consistently have voice signal is to use the "RoamOnly" app, which of course, negates my data. US Cellular has excellent infrastructure in here in my area (rural Central Missouri), so I can only guess that they do not allow Sprint to piggyback off of their towers for data.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    OK...I'm feeling a little stupid here, but I just found another setting that I swear I never saw before

I can set my Sprint phone to "Roam Only" and then I found this setting below it called "Data Roaming." With both of those enabled, I can have great voice signal AND pull data while I roam. If this plays out, there's no need to switch from Sprint!
    yeah sprint roams on verizon network . just be careful how much data roaming you use , they can be a pain about it.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->