Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I feel the need to share my brother's story with Sprint he is in the process of right now. He has been a loyal Sprint customer for about 5 years and his wife 7 years.

    He works outdoors in an area up north. He used to have an older slider phone. He would get 1 bar of service which would drop calls... so he would manually switch to roaming which would give him full service and solve all of his issues. His contract stated "free and unlimited roaming". Well last November they wrote him a letter stating that he needed to stop manually roaming immediately... and that it's not really unlimited roaming if you read the fine print. Only a certain percentage could be, and he was over that percentage. So he stopped doing the manual roaming right away. Apparently, his phone was still jumping on those towers automatically on occasion.

    Now him and the wife want smart-phones, but their plan isn't up. Between the two they spent nearly $500 on blackberries, upgraded their plan, and locked in for another two years. Their plan guaranteed Sprint $1700 over those two years. Throughout all of this - nothing about the roaming situation came up. All seemed peachy.

    Now he gets a letter from Sprint saying that they are done. Service is being discontinued on the 14th of June. As of that point you will no longer be a Sprint customer - and we are waiving all early disconnection fees. They also claimed they had been "leaving messages" about the problem... none of which he got. He thinks they are lying about this.

    He tried going to a corporate store and pleading his case - to zero avail. He got one 800# which got him transferred to another 800# so on and so forth until a lady basically told him he was screwed. I feel really bad for him - because none of this seems fair.

    Thoughts? Ideas?
  2. ashykat's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    #2  
    This is nothing that I would consider unexpected. Unlimited roaming basically means that if your handset roams automatically you aren't charged extra for it. Most, if not all cell providers, require that your time roaming is less that 50% of your total talk/data time on the phone. It costs Sprint a lot more for you to roam because they have agreements with other providers to provide this. It was obvious to Sprint that they were roaming, I'm sure, because they probably didn't have any logged time on Sprints network. You can't have Sprint but force your phone to stay on Verizon's network without expecting some sort of repercussion. I'm not saying I like it, because I would absolutely rather pay Sprints prices than Verizon's, but it makes sense.

    It really does suck for your brother, but it seems that since even when he stopped the forced roaming he was roaming a lot. I think simply Sprint is not the network for him. Like I said, it sucks, but I don't think you could really expect anything else. I would recommend he uses different companies coverage maps to figure out who can give him better service.
  3. aliatgb's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #3  
    Is it so hard to figure out what to do? Have him sign up with the carrier that hes roaming on.

    Sprint was generous to release him of the contract without any penalty.

    Hardly a horror story, more like a reasonable response to a business decision that was losing sprint money.
  4. #4  
    that's good now he can start a new account with sprint if he wants or another carrier.
  5. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by aliatgb View Post
    Is it so hard to figure out what to do? Have him sign up with the carrier that hes roaming on.

    Sprint was generous to release him of the contract without any penalty.

    Hardly a horror story, more like a reasonable response to a business decision that was losing sprint money.
    I agree to this and sprint does mention something to the effect of 'we can terminate service at anytime, for any reason we see fit'

    That does suck for him tho and is a bummer to hear sprint letting people go, but yeah go to the competition.
  6.    #6  
    It just seems really crappy the way they handled it. He never got these supposed messages and now he's just done without a civil conversation.

    The "competition" up there are two small cell companies that charge an arm and a leg for data and only have a couple phones. Not even an option as the package would be like twice as much.

    He's likely going to go with Verizon...
  7. #7  
    This may have implications regarding tethering, i.e. it shows that Sprint is willing to terminate a customer for going over the "allowed usage" in fine print of an advertised "unlimited" feature (roaming/data). Has anyone yet heard of anyone being cut off in this way for tethering?
  8. #8  
    My brother lives in southern Oregon in a small town that only has US Celluar for a provider. When I visit him, I get my coverage through them for my calls. He was looking to get new phones, so I told him about how much I liked Sprint and the plans, yada, yada, yada. Bottom line, he went into the Sprint corporate store in the closest town, about 25 miles away and got three Blackberry phones on a family plan. They knew where he lived was not a Sprint service area. Nothing was said about roaming or anything, they were just pushing the Any Mobile, Anytime plans that had just been announced. Now he has gotten one letter telling him that he is spending too much time roaming and that they will cancel his plan if he doesn't limit his use. My question for him to ask Sprint was since they knew he lived in an area where he would be roaming most of the time, why did they sell him the phones? It seems that Sprint knows where they can and cannot reach, especially in small rural areas. This store was on the highway out of town to where my brother lives, for heaven's sake. He says he'll keep the service till they cancel it, but he won't pay for any termination fees.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  9. #9  
    Sipple, definitely a win win win!! for your brother and his wife. Since they were considering jumping in on smart phones, at least now they can find a carrier that has 3G service in their area so they can actually enjoy the benefits of a smart phone. Have you ever tried to look something up on the web while roaming?
  10. #10  
    I have never seen an unlimited option, ever. Not even the extremely old plans we see come into the store occasionally. Going back, the Free & Clear (2003), Fair & Flexible (2005) and Power Pack (2008) plans all had free roaming either included or as an add-on, but they were not unlimited. The limitations previously weren't hard set however, it was more of an abusers will be contacted type of thing. If you were roaming disproportionately you would be contacted.

    However several months ago this was changed and hard limits were implemented across the board to make it more transparent and easier to explain when people roam excessively. You are not charged once you o over the limit, and going over the limit occasionally won't get you contacted. However if you consistently roam excessively you are contacted. You are limited to either half of your minute allotment, or 800 minutes roaming, whichever comes first. It is still free roaming on almost all current plans, but it is not and has not been unlimited.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

    Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    I have never seen an unlimited option, ever. Not even the extremely old plans we see come into the store occasionally. Going back, the Free & Clear (2003), Fair & Flexible (2005) and Power Pack (2008) plans all had free roaming either included or as an add-on, but they were not unlimited. The limitations previously weren't hard set however, it was more of an abusers will be contacted type of thing. If you were roaming disproportionately you would be contacted.

    However several months ago this was changed and hard limits were implemented across the board to make it more transparent and easier to explain when people roam excessively. You are not charged once you o over the limit, and going over the limit occasionally won't get you contacted. However if you consistently roam excessively you are contacted. You are limited to either half of your minute allotment, or 800 minutes roaming, whichever comes first. It is still free roaming on almost all current plans, but it is not and has not been unlimited.
    Thank you for clearing things up! This is all good information. It's too bad that the whole 'Unlimited' advertisement is misleading... and it's also too bad that there was major miscommunication on Sprints end with contacting him. He put his and his wife's Sprint crackberries up on eBay and they sold instantly. He will be moving to Verizon within the week.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sipple31 View Post
    Thank you for clearing things up! This is all good information. It's too bad that the whole 'Unlimited' advertisement is misleading... and it's also too bad that there was major miscommunication on Sprints end with contacting him. He put his and his wife's Sprint crackberries up on eBay and they sold instantly. He will be moving to Verizon within the week.
    Roaming is not advertised as unlimited, it is advertised as free. You don't pay for roaming usage, so it is free.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

    Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  13. #13  
    Honestly I would keep calling until i got a sympathetic soul. I hang up at those without power. This is an easy win. He needs to play the victim, which he is. Call corporate office. Unless your brother is not being truthful, this is an easy win.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Honestly I would keep calling until i got a sympathetic soul. I hang up at those without power. This is an easy win. He needs to play the victim, which he is. Call corporate office. Unless your brother is not being truthful, this is an easy win.
    Recent news.

    He went to his local Sprint store and had the manager in charge on his side. They, together, called Corporate and had zero sympathy. Supposedly last year AT&T did this to roughly 40,000 customers... and this year it's Sprint trying to save money. He just happened to be one of them over the limit and they're dropping the hammer.
  15. #15  
    What would you say to someone in a Sprint store who sold a phone to someone who lives in an area where Sprint doesn't have service, yet has an agreement with the provider in that area to use their towers. That's the problem my brother is having. The Sprint store is 20 miles from where he lives, they are very aware that they don't have coverage there, yet sold him three blackberry phones and a family plan. No mention made about excessive roaming until he started getting letters from them.



    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    I have never seen an unlimited option, ever. Not even the extremely old plans we see come into the store occasionally. Going back, the Free & Clear (2003), Fair & Flexible (2005) and Power Pack (2008) plans all had free roaming either included or as an add-on, but they were not unlimited. The limitations previously weren't hard set however, it was more of an abusers will be contacted type of thing. If you were roaming disproportionately you would be contacted.

    However several months ago this was changed and hard limits were implemented across the board to make it more transparent and easier to explain when people roam excessively. You are not charged once you o over the limit, and going over the limit occasionally won't get you contacted. However if you consistently roam excessively you are contacted. You are limited to either half of your minute allotment, or 800 minutes roaming, whichever comes first. It is still free roaming on almost all current plans, but it is not and has not been unlimited.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  16. #16  
    hmm, my current situation is I've had sprint for 10years, and suddenly no service at my parents home when I go there. It always had service there, I have 4 lines and now there is no coverage at my parents home. Called sprint and they said they would look into it. Their map changed in 2days, service has not come back, but 4g is slated within 50 next month, maybe they will fix the tower here then.... Maybe...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions