1.    #1  
    finally got a chance to demo the overdrive running on the 4G network here in Houston. To describe what it was like in one word...unbelievable.

It is way faster than I and probably you are expecting cell phone data service to be. Everything you previously though about cellular data needs to be washed away to begin to understand what its like. Think cable internet or faster.

I was expecting something thats slightly faster than 3G with improved ping times. What i got was something that is faster than my cable internet at home with twice as fast ping time. I averaged 6.9mbps and 100ms ping time.

After realizing how freaking fast it was i decided to put it to work. I broke out the ole ipad, opened up the netflix app, and immediately started watching happy gilmore. No lag, no wait. Its like cable internet.

I have posted a few pics and video from the experience. Bottom line, 4G is truly some next level stuff. You need to get ready to rethink what your going to do with your mobil device. Insta streaming full HD netflix and youtube while on a cellular data service is now a reality. Palm needs to get the C40 out soon so i can watch HD netflix during workout.

speedtest1:
    http://www.l337tech.com/wp-content/u...5/cimg0122.jpg
    speedtest2:
    http://www.l337tech.com/wp-content/u...5/cimg0123.jpg

video:
    http://www.l337tech.com/wp-content/u...5/cimg0115.mp4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Better faster bandwith always comes down to one thing: MOAR Pr0n!!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    lol

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Seeing as I live in the Houston area (Sugarland to be exact) this news makes me VERY happy. Can't wait to get a 4G device, preferably a palm one at that.
    7mbps down/600kbps up is very good. Eat that WiMax haters.

Here is Sprint 3G in comparison.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/808688036.png
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I am very much in favor downloading my pr0n at faster speeds on the go. Nothing like a little pr0n torrent dl with the morning coffee while heading to work :P
    I am losing my mind at an alarming rate . . . Actually, I'm not really alarmed at all.
    Yeah... thats about as fast as they said it would be. Not really up to home Wifi download speeds, but still amazing. I'm pretty excited for a 4g phone. I would totally have gotten the overdrive 4 years ago (I had those lousy 3G Sprint Cards ), but now I'm getting 20Mbps DL speeds at home for about the same price as an Overdrive. Sure its not portable, but most of my internet perusing is done at home anyway.

In fact, I would totally get the Overdrive right now just for kicks if it were in my budget.
    ....imagine hotspot with 4G
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo9 View Post
    ....imagine hotspot with 4G
    it would be totally sick...that is why it's so hard for me not to buy the EVO 4G, knowing that it's coming with hotspot. Palm need their 4G phone quick or they may loose a lot of users to the EVO 4G.

Super PreKernel app

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Seeing as I live in the Houston area (Sugarland to be exact) this news makes me VERY happy. Can't wait to get a 4G device, preferably a palm one at that.
    I'm in katy, that test above was done in katy....thats right down the road from you so be ready for some speed!

Super PreKernel app

YESSSSSS I can not wait until we start seeing 4G phones and the possibilities are going to be endless.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    I was at the Houston Art Car Parade and several of the events surrounding that this weekend and the Clear people were hanging around showing of WiMAX. It looked pretty fast and I even got a sweet green koozie. Does the clear logo not look alot like the Sony Ericsson logo?
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Hey, OP, I'm wondering about the ping times with 4G. You said you average 100ms. If you run a ping -t google.com, what's the lowest you'll get? Does it ever go below 100ms? Conversely, is it often that it spikes up and has a really high result?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!
    Quote Originally Posted by imekul View Post
    Hey, OP, I'm wondering about the ping times with 4G. You said you average 100ms. If you run a ping -t google.com, what's the lowest you'll get? Does it ever go below 100ms? Conversely, is it often that it spikes up and has a really high result?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!
    It would be better for him to ping his gateway to get an accurate ping time of the wireless link only.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Yeah, good point!
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how quickly Houston's 4G network took to get up to this quality? I live in San Antonio, and we have 4G, so I bought an Overdrive hotspot. I want to use the 30-day money back guarantee because it sucks. Speed varies between 800k and 3000k, and disappears COMPLETELY indoors, in any building. That speed with the lack of indoor use is not worth $60 a month to me. I'll probably give it 20 days or so, towards the end of the return period, just to see if they are improving at a rapid pace or not.