Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    So before the HP/Palm merger I was under the assumption Palm would probably die out and was planning on going to the HTC EVO 4G when it launched, not because I care for Android, simply because it seemed logical if Palm was going to be sold to a company and WebOS (the main thing I love about my Pre) was going to be scraped.

Now that we know WebOS has a secure fate, I decided I will stick it out with Palm like I have done.

Anyways, so a week ago my 2nd Pre was stuck in headset mode. Sprayed compressed air, doctored the phone, did everything suggested and still it didnt come out so I took it to Sprint and after the techs had a chance to check it out they order me a replacement.

Replacement comes in (Refurb ) and right as I get home and take a call I realize the damn MIC is dead, no one can hear me. Wasn't about to get back to Sprint for a few days after this but when I go back they didn't even bother checking my phone the lady just ordered a replacement and took my word that the device was screwed up.

All she said to me was "ya if your mic is dead we can't fix it so I'll just order a new one."

It seems to me like they are trying to get the inventory of the Pre out ASAP maybe because Palm is about to drop something new?

Just thought I'd share.
    I think they are trying to move inventory because they have a metric-***-ton of unsold Pre that Sprint needs to move. I don't think a new device is going to happen during the summer months.

Although, if Palm could leak a render, that would be super awesome of them. It has been a long time since any info came out of them.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I think they are trying to move inventory because they have a metric-***-ton of unsold Pre that Sprint needs to move. I don't think a new device is going to happen during the summer months.

Although, if Palm could leak a render, that would be super awesome of them. It has been a long time since any info came out of them.
    That is logical and could be very true, I do hope I get a new Pre this time and not a replacement, but apart from the MIC issue my replacement did seem sturdier than my previous Pre.

At this point I'm not even really concerned if they launch anything new since I'm just glad that WebOS is safe.
    my plan is to buy the evo and then when a new webos phone comes out i will just ebay the evo and buy the new phone.
    If i do it right, I will probably break even
    Quote Originally Posted by richardschris View Post
    my plan is to buy the evo and then when a new webos phone comes out i will just ebay the evo and buy the new phone.
    Except for the fact that you'll hate Android.
    they are most likely going to get the plus...

a new phone, from what I recall should be hitting sprint near the end of summer, or early fall..
    I don't think HP has said what they are gonna do with Palm ... I could of missed it though... Don't assume anything is safe.. You know what they say if you Assume...
    I couldn't imagine HP would purchase Palm for $1.2 Billion just to scrap it. They could have watched from the sidelines as Palm imploded for free, but they didn't...thank goodness!
    That's a good plan, but I'm thinking the Pre2 will be too expensive without the new contract discounts.

I'll probably get an Evo and then jump back to Palm (or whoever has the best phone) after another 12 months.

What I really want is a Webos tablet!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    I don't think HP has said what they are gonna do with Palm ... I could of missed it though... Don't assume anything is safe.. You know what they say if you Assume...
    What HP will do with Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I have played around with android alot, and the only thing i really dont like about it is the lack of 3d games, im addicted to settlers and nova lol.
    They are just moving inventory. It's no secret the Pre hasn't sold well. It's no secret that the Pre is due to be replaced. Put two and two together and it just makes sense.

OP, your plan will work out fairly well. The EVO will have strong resale value, particularly the first six months. It really will depend on what the retail price is on them. Android is a very nice operating system and a strong competitor to WebOS. I own both a Pre and a Hero and enjoy them both.
    the evo swap on ebay sounds like a good idea. Just might do it myself. I gotta have that bigger screen.GOTS TA!!
    Should be interesting to see how many people planning on selling the EVO on eBay for a new palm device will actually do it. EVO looks amazing, and I can't think of anything else to put in a phone. Can't wait for it to come out. If/when Palm comes out with a new device I will definitely play with it, but wouldn't be able to justify a switch unless the new palm device has all of the features of the EVO plus webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    And how do you know that?

I have played around with android alot, and the only thing i really dont like about it is the lack of 3d games, im addicted to settlers and nova lol.
    ExZeus Arcade - Android app on AppBrain

Android apps by Gameloft

Android apps by Glu Mobile

Edit: some more for you

http://www.appbrain.com/app/Mag3DLite.SF3D

http://www.appbrain.com/browse/dev/EA+Mobile

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.deckeleven.windsofsteel

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.gamevil.zenonia

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.com2us.caligo
    Last edited by Complex Pants; 05/01/2010 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post

All she said to me was "ya if your mic is dead we can't fix it so I'll just order a new one."

Just thought I'd share.
    This is old news since in January of 2010 my Pre broke I went in for someone to look at it and they said that they could not open the Pre. Its an old policy. On the upper right hand corner there is palm sticker covering a screw to assure that no one has messed with the phone.

Now with HP buying Palm I think the earliest we will see new hardware would be for the holidays or early 2011 since the number one aim of HP for now is getting a tablet out of the door as soon as it is feasible.Of course if palm has already finished all work on the device and is ready to introduce it on the anniversary of the Pre than we might get lucky, although I have a feeling it wont be on Sprint and if it is... then we might not see it till the holidays since the Evo 4G is clearly Sprint's number one focus for the summer.
    If sprint really had that much pre stock, they'd drop the price down from 150.
    not at my sprint i went because my power button didn't work at all and my touchscreen acts up and i cant receive calls well if i happen to open my phone app while a call is incoming then it'll show other than that it wont ring or show that i have a call or vibrate or anything. my keyboard randomly stop working and bla bla bla w/e the point is i went and they literally did nothing.... i waited 3 hours to be told oh we cant do anything (even though i have insurance) they said i have to call sprint or asurion or pay them 120 for a replacement...... they guy was a moron too btw, he tells me "oh you jailbroke your phone...." im respond (sarcastically) "yeah 'cuz i have the palm ipre, you dont have to jail break the palm pre thats the beauty of it" then he looks at me feeling stupid and say "well we cant help you but if it makes you feel better you can speak with out tech." he basically told me the same thing so i called sprint and will be getting a new one on tuesday free of charge because i explained how the people at the store treated me. anyways hopefully i don't get fired by tuesday for not receiving important calls.....

sorry for the rant im just highly upset that i wasted my time and my aunts time for nothing.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    And how do you know that?
    I don't. It was witty. All jokes aside though, there have been alot of threads about people who've jumped to different phone OS's that have regretted doing so. Android is like WinMo touched up and tweaked to look good. Only Google can do WinMo much better than Microsoft.

Anyways, there is no true substitute for webOS's elegance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast