1.    #1  
    I've been looking into possible internet options since I'm in a rural area with very little in the way of service. What little is here is overpriced plans that only get up to 1 MB/s. So, I just looked into the Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot by Sierra Wireless and it seems like a pretty good alternative.

I used Sprint's 4G map utility to see if I'm in the coverage area and it just so happens that I am. So, when I see the Mobile Broadband plan mentioning that 4G connections are unlimited data, while 3G are up to 5GB per month for $59 per month, I don't think that's too bad considering I should be constantly connected to 4G.

I would primarily be using it for general internet usage, though having at least 2 MB/s for online gaming over Xbox Live is also a priority. Given the reported speeds most have gotten while testing the Overdrive, 3-6 MB/s seem to be the average, which would be great!

So I have a few questions for the community and any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on getting into a Sprint store to ask a rep some of these questions, but I wanted to ask you all first.

1. Does anyone know of a way to do a "trial" on this and the service? So if this isn't the service that I really want and doesn't perform as I think, can I return it and get my money back/get out of the Mobile Broadband contract? This is probably something a rep would need to be asked, but I might as well throw it in here.

2. Has anyone else used this or another Sprint broadband service? If so, how would you describe the experience? Do you get consistent connectivity? How are your speeds?

3. Just for good measure, and I know I'm definitely NOT going to mention this to a Sprint Rep, but should Palm release a 4G WebOS device this year, would tethering that essentially yield the same results, with the added benefit of not having another service to pay for per month?

Thanks for any and all help!
    I have an overdrive. My experience is my first overdrive died on me with in the first 15 days of getting it. Sprint gave me a new one.

The overdrive is pretty neat due to the wifi and being able to connect up to 5 devices to it. Wifi range is good as well.

The downside is it does have some bugs to it. I find myself having to reset it every so often. It also becomes quite hot when used for long periods of time. I don't know if the heat will burn it up.
    We end up turning it off when not using the net.

Overall it's ok.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by edbbates11 View Post
    I have an overdrive. My experience is my first overdrive died on me with in the first 15 days of getting it. Sprint gave me a new one.

The overdrive is pretty neat due to the wifi and being able to connect up to 5 devices to it. Wifi range is good as well.

The downside is it does have some bugs to it. I find myself having to reset it every so often. It also becomes quite hot when used for long periods of time. I don't know if the heat will burn it up.
    We end up turning it off when not using the net.

Overall it's ok.
    Are you getting 4G connectivity? As in, if you go to Sprint's website and look at the map showing 4G coverage, and if it shows you in range, will you actually get better speeds?

I was looking around other forums and saw some people who said they got really poor results. Some got around 0.15 MB/s download speeds. I average about 0.80 with good reception through tethering, so that seems like a waste to me.

Thanks for the info and quick reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhefty89 View Post
    I've been looking into possible internet options since I'm in a rural area with very little in the way of service. What little is here is overpriced plans that only get up to 1 MB/s. So, I just looked into the Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot by Sierra Wireless and it seems like a pretty good alternative.

I used Sprint's 4G map utility to see if I'm in the coverage area and it just so happens that I am. So, when I see the Mobile Broadband plan mentioning that 4G connections are unlimited data, while 3G are up to 5GB per month for $59 per month, I don't think that's too bad considering I should be constantly connected to 4G.

I would primarily be using it for general internet usage, though having at least 2 MB/s for online gaming over Xbox Live is also a priority. Given the reported speeds most have gotten while testing the Overdrive, 3-6 MB/s seem to be the average, which would be great!

So I have a few questions for the community and any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on getting into a Sprint store to ask a rep some of these questions, but I wanted to ask you all first.

1. Does anyone know of a way to do a "trial" on this and the service? So if this isn't the service that I really want and doesn't perform as I think, can I return it and get my money back/get out of the Mobile Broadband contract? This is probably something a rep would need to be asked, but I might as well throw it in here.

2. Has anyone else used this or another Sprint broadband service? If so, how would you describe the experience? Do you get consistent connectivity? How are your speeds?

3. Just for good measure, and I know I'm definitely NOT going to mention this to a Sprint Rep, but should Palm release a 4G WebOS device this year, would tethering that essentially yield the same results, with the added benefit of not having another service to pay for per month?

Thanks for any and all help!

Why would you need 2MB/s for Xbox Live? You would only need like 1/8 of that maybe a little more.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    Why would you need 2MB/s for Xbox Live? You would only need like 1/8 of that maybe a little more.
    I say 2 MB/s because I find it to be best for optimal and smooth performance on games like CoD and Battlefield where you have a lot of people and one bad connection can hurt everyone.
    Speed isn't as much of an issue as latency is. Wireless latency is still fairly large. While WiMax tends to have lower latency than EVDO, it still isn't particularly low enough for intense gaming like CoD. Given an ideal situation it is awesome, but the latency will be what is going to annoy you, not the speeds probably.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Speed isn't as much of an issue as latency is. Wireless latency is still fairly large. While WiMax tends to have lower latency than EVDO, it still isn't particularly low enough for intense gaming like CoD. Given an ideal situation it is awesome, but the latency will be what is going to annoy you, not the speeds probably.
    Oh ok. Thanks!

And I went and got the Overdrive yesterday, but despite being in 4G coverage I have yet to connect to it. It always says "Searching for 4G network". It did go through once but I had no signal, maybe from weather. We'll see what happens.
  8.    #8  
    Just wanted to update this for anyone else considering the Overdrive.

It turns out my unit was defective and wouldn't read the 4G signal correctly, even in the store next to a working Overdrive. So, they swapped it out today and now I'm enjoying my newly founded 4G network from home. I did have to restart the device once because I believe in the process of driving across town it may have picked up a tower further from my house and attempted to try to connect to it over and over. After restart it had no problem connecting right away and giving me pleasant results.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/796724151.png

So, as an alternative to broadband and satellite ISP out here in the boondocks, the $59 per month isn't too bad of a price with speeds anywhere from 1 to 5 MB/s (maybe I'll see more as 4G increases).

EDIT: Right after this post, I ran another speed test for fun. I hit 7.91 MB/s on download. That is with a 40% signal strength on 4G. Not bad, eh?
    Last edited by bhefty89; 04/27/2010 at 11:30 PM.
    Glad to hear it was just a bad unit, there are always lemons that slip through.

I just got myself an Overdrive. We don't have 4G here in Tucson, AZ yet; but since I'm going to Atlanta next week I figured I'd upgrade and take a look while I'm there. So far I love the Overdrive, even with the same 3G network I've been using, can't wait to try the 4G network.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Glad to hear it was just a bad unit, there are always lemons that slip through.

I just got myself an Overdrive. We don't have 4G here in Tucson, AZ yet; but since I'm going to Atlanta next week I figured I'd upgrade and take a look while I'm there. So far I love the Overdrive, even with the same 3G network I've been using, can't wait to try the 4G network.
    I hope you get 4G soon. Nothing like unlimited data as opposed to a 5GB cap on 3G. If nothing else, I love the Overdrive because you an have 5 Wifi devices at a time on it. Easy!