1.    #1  
    My dinner conversation with a Verizon Executive tonight involved the past, present and future of Sprint, Verizon, Palm, Rim, Clear (4g) and LTE (4g).

We started talking about the new decks we were both having built until I pulled my phone out to answer a call. That's when the fun started. We talked about Palm and I thanked her for Verizon finally giving Palm some needed support. She agreed with me in that Palm was the first true Smart Phone company and it has been sad to see the trading of hands Palm has gone through over the years. She too believes that Palm has the best OS on the market today and wishes that Android would be a single version, implementing some of the ideas of WebOS. There was talk about the Tether programs and how "V" had to switch to a no fee program for their customers because of the WebOS open source. When I asked if it also had to do with the outside community (without talking about us which she knows) she said that is one of two reasons. The other being how Sprint is hurting "V" in that area. Not a lot but it is there. Palm with WebOS is changing the way we look at the market and our plans. So you "V" customers can thank Sprint and the community here in part for that one.

Our conversation then led to Apple and how she HATES them. "That damn iPhone is killing the market" she said. I nodded and laughed. "I understand what you are saying. But there are big changes coming for the second half of this year like we have not seen in years. There is Clear and LTE with the 4g. The deal with Sprint and Walmart is still in talks" I said. Here is the good part. She looked me dead in the eyes with what look like fear and said "I hope and pray that it does not happen soon. It looks like it could and if it does "V" is dead in the water. We aren't ready for that". I said "V" had the chance to get in with the Clear group and declined in the end to go with LTE. Do you think that if the agreement with Walmart goes through that "V" will join in or try to mesh LTE with WiMax in some way"? " I don't know but they are looking at every angle of this. I think Verizon's just stubborn in thinking that they can do everything themselves" she replied. Kind of sound like Apple..lol

We talk a bit about the new phones and OS's hitting the market. These we have talked about here, so I won't go in depth. But there are several new phones from Palm ( I tried to pin down if there were 2 models, she smiled), Apple, Rim etc... 4G will hit the ground running and Apple might be with "V" but she seemed to imply that there are issues there. She kept saying how she hates that company.

The "She" is fairly high up the ladder in one of the big offices. So it was fun to pick that brain a bit. Maybe I can pick it some more this summer over a cookout on her's or my new deck.
    So there you have it. More talk but I thought I would re-pump the smiles for you all.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 04/15/2010 at 08:59 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Sounds like you could have a straight line to some new intel. The BEST part was another confirmation that Palm is going to release another phone
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by fonefanatic View Post
    Sounds like you could have a straight line to some new intel. The BEST part was another confirmation that Palm is going to release another phone
    That was cool. She knows I am big on palm and have been with Palm since the beginning, so it seemed more like "yes but I am not going to tell you smile" You should have seen her eyes over the 4g stuff. She freaked me out.
    As far as the straight line...well I think I was lucky. If I was not married I would dig deeper. I know I will see her again near the end of May or beginning of June.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    Nice... I hope that deal with Sprint and Walmart goes through, and Palm comes out with something bangin... and talk about "diggin deeper"... is she pretty hot or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by fonefanatic View Post
    Well, Palm *has* to release a new killer phone soon or they are simply dead in the water. The market is moving way too fast to expect a phone that is now a year old to be competitive (I don't really count the Pre+ as "new" ... it was a minor upgrade).
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Neva Eva Forget 1984 View Post
    Nice... I hope that deal with Sprint and Walmart goes through, and Palm comes out with something bangin... and talk about "diggin deeper"... is she pretty hot or what?
    Na. I would not say hot, she's ok. Nice to have dinner with. She is one of those talkers though. You know the type. Could be a girl or guy I guess that just like to hear themselves talk. So I took advantage of the opportunity. I just tried to steer the bus in trying to get you all something to smile about since this is the calm before the storm this summer/fall.

We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Na. I would not say hot, she's ok. Nice to have dinner with. She is one of those talkers though. You know the type. Could be a girl or guy I guess that just like to hear themselves talk. So I took advantage of the opportunity. I just tried to steer the bus in trying to get you all something to smile about since this is the calm before the storm this summer/fall.
    I know one at ATT but she is married
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    interesting. did you try serving some truth serum....ahem.....i mean alcohol?
    if the companys up for sale dosent mean its dead in the water how do you sound. Lets say HTC or someone buys Palm hypothetically speaking, and keeps Palms internals including Web OS and using a part or all of the Palm name. Then starts selling millions of HTC Web OS devices does that mean that company was still dead in the water. People sell for two reason either to help them out because the company is cash poor, (via Palm) or because they no longer want the business (which is not Palms case). Use your head next time you post a comment.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I sincerely doubt Verizon is actually all that concerned with Clearwire and any tower colocation agreement that Sprint might end up signing with Walmart. It would certainly give Sprint a boost in terms of 4G coverage, but they still haven't managed to colocate CDMA equipment on all of the iDEN towers they acquired through the Nextel "merger" five years ago. Verizon and AT&T have both managed to lock a lot of folks into two years with the Motorola Droid and the Apple iPhone 3G and 3GS. They have some breathing room, and given how poorly Sprint has executed in the past, I have serious reservations about their ability to manage both a bunch of capital intensive 4G market launches while simultaneously getting the word out about the Evo 4G.

That being said, it is clear that Verizon has acted like (and probably will continue to act like) a five year-old regarding Apple, the iPhone, and the iPad. Remember that Apple pitched the iPhone to Verizon first, and Verizon practically laughed Steve Jobs out of the room, which is why Apple ended up with AT&T. In the end, that made it easier for Apple to expand sales internationally, given they were already on a GSM platform — they never had to deal with CDMA (except probably in a few prototypes). Aat the end of the day, Verizon blew their chances with Apple, and they have spent all this time fuming (often quite publicly) over it, watching AT&T pick up millions of customers that they otherwise would not have picked up given the hit AT&T's reputation has taken over the (real or perceived, you pick) capacity issues.

In the short run, if Verizon is willing to play by Apple's rules, it makes sense for Apple to make the iPhone available on Verizon. Supposedly Apple has been working on getting a Gobi-like chip working in the iPhone, so that they can support both GSM and CDMA on a single hardware platform in the United States. Given AT&T's iPhone exclusivity expires soon, I think there's a chance we might see this device later this year, unless Verizon continues to try to play hardball with Apple. That's becoming increasingly disadvantageous for Verizon, frankly, and I'm sure Apple wouldn't mind essentially doubling its potential customer base, so I figure they'll eventually be on the same page.

Bringing all this back to Palm, though, as soon as the iPhone launches on Verizon, it becomes significantly tougher for a Verizon sales representative to get a customer to go with a Palm device (assuming the store representatives are even advocating for Palm at all, and we've pretty much seen, at Verizon, that they don't). This is why I don't hold out a lot of hope for the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus launch at AT&T; so long as there is an iPhone option at $99, it's a tough sale to get folks to consider any alternative, even if it's free after mail-in rebate.

If Palm gets a 4G device on Sprint around the same time as the Evo 4G (which is to say, darned soon), I think there's a possibility they'll continue to hang on to "going concern" status by the skin of their teeth. But they've really got to knock it out of the park with some new devices if they're going to get any further traction on Verizon and AT&T; even giving the phones away and making Mobile Hotspot free has only gotten them so far. But, all in all, I don't think we're going to see a mass exodus from AT&T or Verizon to Sprint because of the Evo 4G (or even any rumored Palm 4G phone), at least not based on what we know today. Too many folks are locked into contracts, Clear 4G coverage is still too limited, and there's a good chance you're going to need to lug a car battery around to power a hybrid 3G/4G smartphone.

All that to say, we'll see...
    ..... If ''v'' wasn't concerned about sprint and walmart collaberating on 4g then the eft hike ..........?
    Next time you see her, tell her that there needs to be a 4G WM7 device that carries the Treo form factor (but not the look and feel of the Treo Pro). Oh, and tell her to deny the device at the last moment so that Sprint will get it instead. I don't really feel like switching.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by justen View Post
    At the end of the day, Verizon blew their chances with Apple, and they have spent all this time fuming (often quite publicly) over it, watching AT&T pick up millions of customers that they otherwise would not have picked up given the hit AT&T's reputation has taken over the (real or perceived, you pick) capacity issues.
    Those capacity issues? They're real. (At least in SF and NYC). It got so that my AT&T Treo 650 was having trouble in SF. (yes, I hung on to it until I got a Pre+).

I know *plenty* of SF iPhone users (and developers) who have said that the very second there is an iPhone on Verizon they're jumping carriers.

There's plenty of AT&T hate out there for Verizon to capitalize on.