1.    #1  
    I've been a happy US Cellular customer for about six years and have been lusting over the Pre/WebOS since it was announced. Verizon's recent price drop and offers made it too hard to resist any longer, and I signed up over the weekend. I am incredibly happy with the phone (other than battery life) but I'm struggling with the reception at home. Where my US Cellular phone has always had full strength in and around my house, my Pre typically sits at one to two bars. I talked to a co-worker today who lives a couple miles from me, and he said he gets even worse reception to where he drops calls occaisonally. This makes sense because the cell tower is further from him than I am. Still, I'm only about two miles from it as opposed to 1.5 from the US Cellular tower. I haven't dropped a call yet, but the signal strength meter never gets above two bars when I'm on the phone and there were some times when the call quality suffered.

I'm wondering if any Verizon customers could offer suggestions. Is it worth it to contact VZW and complain about the poor signal? Should I suck it up and deal with it? Or should I port back to US Cellular? I have until May 2nd to decide, though if I'm going to port back I will probably do it in three weeks to avoid last-minute problems.

As much as I love the Pre, if it's not going to function as a phone I'm afraid there isn't much point in keeping it.
    I just think it really is just verizon crap service. I carry with me at all times my sprint pre and a company verizon phone, and most of the time I need to use my sprint pre to call some of my customers. My girlfriend has the same problem with her droid where she can't get signal any where at most places we go, which I always tease her about with the can you hear me know thing lol. I think it is safe for me to say that about 80% of my time with her my sprint pre always has a higher signal then her verizon droid
    Last edited by swieder; 04/06/2010 at 01:17 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  4.    #4  
    I'm already paying $100/month for service, and I'm in a city of 10,000 people. I don't see why I should have to buy one of those. Yes, I know it's an option, but it's ridiculous that I should need it.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    get use to it verizon sucks in every experience I have ever had with them.
    I find your situation interesting. Coming from Alltel, I'll admit that I was not excited about this transition, however, I've yet to have a problem with reception. If anything it has improved in some settings, my office primarily.

Give them a call, maybe they can update your PRL. Your phone may be trying to read from a different tower than the one you are physically closest to, for some odd reason.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Call Verizon CS and let them know about the issue. It might just be a problem with the tower that is servicing your house. Unlike Sprint, Verizon actually cares about having great coverage so they will most likely file a trouble ticket and investigate the problem. If you are able to reliably make/receive calls in your house then don't worry about only seeing 1-2 bars. With CDMA service (like what Verizon/Sprint/U.S. Cellular use) you can reliably make calls even with no bars sometimes. However, if you are having signal issues in places you frequent then I would suggest porting back to U.S. Celluar.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I was responsible some years ago for debugging signal problems with pager service at my job. Not only is proximity to cell towers a consideration, but also bandwidth in use and structural interference such as steel elevator walls. What we did to resolve the problem was to install a repeater locally. I doubt Verizon will do that for a single customer, but maybe if you get enough people in your neighborhood to complain. Definitely call VZW and ask them for help. If you get a less than helpful person, call again and call again until you get someone who is helpful. thorne
  9.    #9  
    I went home for lunch today and took a different way back to work than I did to get home. Interestingly, when I get to the city limits the signal drops down to two bars, getting worse as I get closer to Lake Michigan (I live in a port city north of Milwaukee). It really seems like they positioned the tower to cover the interstate, and as you drive towards the lake the elevation drops and degrades the signal as it's trying to get through buildings, trees, and earth.

I talked to my co-worker again, and he admitted that he's never called. I will call, and he wants to know what the result is, after which he will also give them a call.
  10.    #10  
    I called CS and after reprogramming the phone three or four times they opened a trouble ticket. I'm going to tell my co-worker to call in tomorrow too. I'm not all that hopeful since they can't just build a tower overnight.

I do have a couple of co-workers that have Sprint in the area and are happy with them. Maybe I'll port back to US Cellular and wait to see what they do with 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by hetfield View Post
    I've been a happy US Cellular customer for about six years and have been lusting over the Pre/WebOS since it was announced. Verizon's recent price drop and offers made it too hard to resist any longer, and I signed up over the weekend. I am incredibly happy with the phone (other than battery life) but I'm struggling with the reception at home. Where my US Cellular phone has always had full strength in and around my house, my Pre typically sits at one to two bars. I talked to a co-worker today who lives a couple miles from me, and he said he gets even worse reception to where he drops calls occaisonally. This makes sense because the cell tower is further from him than I am. Still, I'm only about two miles from it as opposed to 1.5 from the US Cellular tower. I haven't dropped a call yet, but the signal strength meter never gets above two bars when I'm on the phone and there were some times when the call quality suffered.

I'm wondering if any Verizon customers could offer suggestions. Is it worth it to contact VZW and complain about the poor signal? Should I suck it up and deal with it? Or should I port back to US Cellular? I have until May 2nd to decide, though if I'm going to port back I will probably do it in three weeks to avoid last-minute problems.

As much as I love the Pre, if it's not going to function as a phone I'm afraid there isn't much point in keeping it.
    I've been on Verizon for more than 5 years, and I've seen this in my house. What I've found is that as long as I have at least 1 bar, everything is fine. The call quality is excellent, the internet response is fine. I made a big stink about it to Verizon, and they actually had a technician come to our neighborhood to investigate (because we can actually see the tower from our deck). BTW, this isn't the first time Verizon sent someone out to a location where I had a consistent issue (there were two spots on a highway where the call was guaranteed to drop but only travelling north - not south...) They didn't send the little guy in the grey shirt and glasses, but they did send someone - I was impressed.

Anyway, they determined that there where no coverage issues in my neighborhood. They sent me another phone (back when I had a Centro) and eventually I dropped the subject because it wasn't affecting call quality.

So I suggest that you make test calls to land lines and other users to see about call quality. Run around the house to see if calls drop or cut out, and also call Verizon support to make sure they check or any problems the towers.

And, be sure you do the (*228) thing to update roaming from your house. I don't know why, but that always seems to be a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by hetfield View Post
    I called CS and after reprogramming the phone three or four times they opened a trouble ticket. I'm going to tell my co-worker to call in tomorrow too. I'm not all that hopeful since they can't just build a tower overnight.

I do have a couple of co-workers that have Sprint in the area and are happy with them. Maybe I'll port back to US Cellular and wait to see what they do with 4G.
    Probably safe to say you won't see 4G in your area if you are in US Cellular territory. Have you tried "roam only" to see if it picks up the US Cellular or Sprint tower as a roaming partner for Verizon? That would be pretty funny...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    So I suggest that you make test calls to land lines and other users to see about call quality. Run around the house to see if calls drop or cut out, and also call Verizon support to make sure they check or any problems the towers.

And, be sure you do the (*228) thing to update roaming from your house. I don't know why, but that always seems to be a good thing.
    It is affecting call quality, but I haven't had any calls completely drop. As part of the trouble ticket, they asked that I flag any calls that are problematic by dialing *** after each one.

I did the *228 thing probably a half dozen times yesterday. I think it's really going to come down to using the phone a lot over the next three weeks and deciding then if I can live with the annoyances.

BTW, thanks to everyone for their input so far.