1.    #1  
    I'm moving for work and will not be living in a Sprint serviced area...although their map says I'm in roaming, I get no signal. AT&T is the main player there with T-Mobile having pretty good service, but spotty.

I called Sprint about the Airave and was told it does not work in that area and they will let me out of my contract with no ETF. I told them I would rather not, since it would only save me $20/month (I still have other lines on my account) and where I'm working and where my family is, and pretty much anywhere in Texas I go does have Sprint service.

I'm basically needing a phone where I live. I'm probably going to try purchasing the Airave on eBay and giving it a try. My problem, though, is how can I get it so that my work can call a local number and ring both phones and my friends and family can call my old Sprint number and get both phones.

Is this something Google Voice can do? Do y'all think I should just cancel my Sprint phone and go with AT&T? I LOVE my Pre and going with AT&T, while I'd LOVE an iPhone, I do not want to pay $85+/month for it. I do get a 10-15% discount with T-Mobile, and their plans are less than AT&T, so I may just go with them.

Just thought I'd get y'all's opinion on the matter.
    get a prepaid phone for local calls and petition like crazy for a skype app!!!!
    If possible I would be patient and wait until att evenutally gets palm phones
    The Airave will work. It is hooked to the internet so as long as you have it connected to the internet it will work but only if your near it. You could add another line to the sprint Family plan with a more local number. The problem is cost. If you go this way you will incur a cost for the Airave, a second phone a fee of 4.99 for the Airave on each phone that uses it. There is the additional 19.95 after the first 2 phones on the Family Plan. As Mrloserpunk said you could just get a prepaid for the local area and be done with it. In the end it looks like the least costly.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    If possible I would be patient and wait until att evenutally gets palm phones
    I'd love to, but I'm sure there are a few people that would like to call me.
    problem is you are in sprint coverage according to their maps. Have you tried flipping to roam only on all phones capable?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    I'd love to, but I'm sure there are a few people that would like to call me.
    Have your phone set to forward calls to your pre-paid phone
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    problem is you are in sprint coverage according to their maps. Have you tried flipping to roam only on all phones capable?

+1

We want them!!!
  9.    #9  
    When I was there looking for an apartment, I didn't know I was going to have this issue until I was there. I had my Pre to "automatic" mode but could not do roaming only as I couldn't download the patch (I think I remember seeing one).

Sprint said the Airave doesn't work in all areas. Even though they said this, do y'all think I should be able to use it? If it doesn't work, I can always sell it on eBay to get my money back.

As far as prepaid goes, is there a way that I can set my Sprint phone to forward my calls to the prepaid if I'm not in coverage with Sprint? If I could get Google Voice and set that up with the local work number, would that ring both phones if I have it set up that way?

And, my bro's girlfriend gave me this cheap-o t-mo prepaid. It has a SIM card with $3 worth of minutes on it. I'll use that to try out the service on Friday. Then to find a phone that's at least close in features to the Pre but inexpensive. I don't think I can handle using a dumb phone after using Treos and Pres.
    I think this is where google voice would be a viable option for having a local number...
    Yes google voice would be a good bet here for fwding calls and ringing both phones at once... of course you would have to dump all of your contacts to google to fwd specific numbers only to one phone or another, or both etc.
    Airave requires your zipcode to have an e911 provider. Each Airave comes with a gps receiver and gps antenna; this is to detect your address (technically most important part - being the zipcode). Only if Sprint is hooked up with an e911 provider in your area can you use an Airave (although I've earnestly been trying to hack mine to see if there is a way around this). Good luck with the move.
    The Airave probably won't work. The GPS receiver required for E911 and FCC licensing will show you are not in a Sprint service area and it won't ever lock, meaning you can't use it.

Using unconditional call forwarding on your Sprint phone would cost $0.20/min. Busy/No Answer call forwarding used for third-party voicemail services does not cost extra.

Google Voice is a very good alternative in this particular case. It would take a bit more to setup since you would instead have to give everyone your GV number, but after that it is pretty easy to change which phones that number rings through to, etc.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Sprint stop charging $.20 for call forwarding last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    The Airave will work. It is hooked to the internet so as long as you have it connected to the internet it will work but only if your near it. You could add another line to the sprint Family plan with a more local number. The problem is cost. If you go this way you will incur a cost for the Airave, a second phone a fee of 4.99 for the Airave on each phone that uses it. There is the additional 19.95 after the first 2 phones on the Family Plan. As Mrloserpunk said you could just get a prepaid for the local area and be done with it. In the end it looks like the least costly.
    Sprint frequently gives free airaves and free service if you have bad reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
    Sprint stop charging $.20 for call forwarding last year.
    No, Sprint stopped charging for call forwarding for No Answer/Busy (also known as conditional call forwarding). Unconditional call forwarding is still $0.20/min.

The only exception is the Simply Everything plan.

Support - Article
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malyshka View Post
    Sprint frequently gives free airaves and free service if you have bad reception.
    I received mine for free and I have no 4.99 fee on any of the 3 phones. Sprint has a record of me calling them about the service for about 10 years. I have even worked with a few cell tower techs out here to get a cell realigned. It is just a dead spot between two towers. I can walk 2 houses in any direction and service is perfect. Just seems to be a hole right here.

As said in the above post see that you have the Simply Everything plan. Take a look at your plan. Look at the features. You should find included call forwarding at no charge. You could always call sprint and ask them about the fees. They should tell you no forwarding charges of any kind on national.

We want them!!!
    Interesting responses, I'm not with Sprint, but I noticed several things with the op.

1) Sprint realizes there's a huge coverage hole in that area & is willing to waive the ETF.

2) Sprint is unwilling to suggest the Airave as an alternative.

3) T-Mobile is spotty.

You may like the Pre, but there's no way it's going to work well (even with the Airave) much beyond the vicinity of your home. A great phone that's useless is no better than a bad phone that's useless.

Call forwarding may or may not work, depending on where the forwarding takes place. But you're still using something other than the Pre to take calls. With multiple steps along the way that can break down.. I doubt any carrier has call forwarding set up as any kind of permanent solution. Especially cross carrier. And you'd now be paying for the Sprint plan plus the pay as you go phone.

If you go with a GSM phone, you say T-Mobile is pretty good, but spotty, coverage. You need to decide how spotty the coverage can be & still be acceptable. That's kind of subjective based on how much you need your phone & how you define "spotty".

You're moving to the area for work. That sounds like it's at least long term, if not permanent. But only you know that. If you're there for, say, 6 months, your decision ought to be different than if you're going to be there for a year or two, or longer.

For myself, my phone is important to all aspects of my life. So, for me, a good phone with a solid carrier is essential. The selection of pay as you go phones isn't anywhere near as good as what's available for contract phones. But that's my take on it. Whatever you decide, be sure it's a decision you'll be comfortable with.
    Phones: Cingular 8525, GSM Treo Pro, Tilt 2