1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

I'm here in North America with Bell Canada and I am pretty sure that these guys are capping my EVDO data during the day. Myself and another Pre user (and precentral member) have experienced the same thing. Net2Streams will fail out after a few minutes, I'll struggle to load up PreWare, Youtube and other data related services seem to run a bit slower or not at all.

Is anyone else thinking that they are being capped? Is it even fair/legal for them to do that? I don't recall signing up for a plan that limited my usage during any specific time. I'm not impressed at all by the fact I can't stream radio during the day. For a few weeks there (up until about a month ago), things were great everyday! Now it seems like they are introducing some measures to prevent so much network traffic :/ or can someone put me in the know?
    Last edited by futurepr0n; 03/04/2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Sorry.. Missed a few things.
    I don't know about your specific issue, but I am almost positive that Sprint can throttle data usage if they want to. Did you read the 'Acceptable Use Policy'?
    Definitely notice capping during business hours (8-5) on Bell... slow page loading and downloading of any content.

I wonder if Sprint does the same thing.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  4.    #4  
    no I did not, however its a real **** move on their parts if this is the case. I pay to use the network. If applications designed for the phone can't run properly and the reason is the carrier is at fault, I dont know.. I would compare it to getting half cooked food from a resturante you ordered at.

I can't stream radio like I said, this works later on in the night, and weeks ago I never had an issue - EVER! With the lower bit rates it should be a non-issue (talk radio). I just wondered if anyone else speculates that this is the case, or knows for sure.

Do you notice your data being throttled in certain applications? As I said, I had difficulty loading preware up until I upgraded to the most recent version, which now loads slower than it will later on in the night, but it wont fail out like it used to. Also even bringing up the web browser and going to facebook, or trying to load TweeFree would often just hang before ever finishing loading, even after reboots.
    I don't think they are throttling. 3G bandwidth is shared with other cell phone users, and during the day it is likely that a lot of people are using it at the same time, therefore slowing it down. So if a lot of people is using the bandwidth in your cell sector, then every body gets slowed down. Same thing happen in highways at rush hour.
    it may be worth mentioning that the cutoff is very abrupt.. at almost exactly 8 and exactly 5... that seems a little odd for just too much traffic.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    I am in downtown Toronto and have noticed the same sort of things just started happening very recently. Preware getting stuck, and even lightweight pages taking a long time. I hadn't noticed a time-of-day correlation and I am going to start testing. Is everyone experiencing these problems in Toronto or elsewhere?
    One of the key pieces of info from the Acceptable Use policy is where it says that Sprint reserves the right to throttle data during peak hours to ease network congestion. I would assume that 8 to 5 would be peak hours...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    One of the key pieces of info from the Acceptable Use policy is where it says that Sprint reserves the right to throttle data during peak hours to ease network congestion. I would assume that 8 to 5 would be peak hours...
    That is true, but the topic is about Bell Canada, not Sprint.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    That is true, but the topic is about Bell Canada, not Sprint.
    Bell, as with all wireless providers, has a very similar policy.

"We may take measures including temporarily reducing data throughput for a subset of customers who use a disproportionate amount of bandwidth."
    I should mention that I think I have determined my particular problems seem to stem from a recently developed dead zone in a part of downtown Toronto. I just happen to both live and work in this area, and my network connections are slow to unachievable. I continued to experience this almost no network connectivity during evenings and over the weekend (indicating it's not a prime-time problem for me) until I left my home neighborhood, and then all was well.
  12.    #12  
    hmmm.. but even that
    "We may take measures including temporarily reducing data throughput for a subset of customers who use a disproportionate amount of bandwidth."
    just means if I was abusing my data plan I would be throttled, where as, I'm consistently under my actual data limit (on my 500mb plan)..

It's a bit odd.. because it is almost arbitrarily cut off at 8:30 AM, and maybe back up at 4:30 PM. I wonder how they would handle the data on there 3G internet sticks or whatever that enables Internet access to laptops and the likes.. How can they limit all their users like this and its acceptable?

Anyone who used to be with Rogers ever experience anything like this?