Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I've been on this site since I got my pre back in sept 2009. I enjoy webOS, and also this forum (great stuff, just haven't posted til now).

However, about 2 months ago my earpiece speaker died, which prompted me to do the standard action, of calling up the search feature in the forums and look for a fix. found a few threads, but it turns out my issue is actually the physical hardware is faulty and it needs repair. Phone wasn't actually stuck in headset mode, the speaker blew.

So for the last 2 months I've been battling back and forth with bell over getting this dealt with. So far:

-been lied to about who handles the warranty (bell said talk to palm, spoke to palm and they said talk to bell)
    -been lied to about the process of getting it fixed/replaced
    -told two times its been shipped and should be here in "48 hours" (first time was 2 months ago, and again a week and a half ago)
    -still have no working phone

I'm at my wits end here, I want the phone for its OS, but I'm sick of the hardware and sick of bells games.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else has had a bad experience similar to this, and what worked/didn't work for them. What are my options with proceeding with Bell/Palm. Is there a way out of the contract because of this? Is it possible to switch hardware manufactures with bell (as in they give me a different phone)?

And lastly, I hope this acts as a warning for those who may be considering a switch to this handset and carrier. I was never told about any insurance when I switched over, they said there's a standard 1 year warranty. And now that I actually need service, I'm given the run around and left in the dark. I'm 1/6th of my way into a 3 year contract and this is the treatment I get as a customer.

I hope this isn't taken as trolling or being redundant in any way, I'm genuinely looking for experiences and advice with this, I've received none elsewhere.
    If I read your post correctly, you waited 6 weeks between being told you phone shipped and would be there within "48 hours"? Why wait so long? If your speaker is out, what good is your phone? I would have been on the phone screaming at them for some sort of resolution. Do you have the option of going into a phone center? I'm not familiar with Bell so that may be a dumb question. But it sounds like you've been more than patient.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    All my friends told me not to go with Bell and I did anyway for this phone. Bell made a thing about how they were improving customer service over the past couple years. Maybe not. *sigh*

All I have is general advice. Contact the Better Business Bureau of Canada and file a complaint. I've heard good things about them helping to resolve such issues. Generally they are going to want to know that you have tried contacting the business at least twice about the problem, etc. I've also had good luck with PlanetFeedback.com with some companies. It worked for a friend with Cingular in the U.S. a few years ago when he had a similar situation.

Unfortunately these options take time (though you should expect a reply with in a week or two for either). You might try just going into a Bell store and speak to someone in person if all you've done so far is call phone service.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    If I read your post correctly, you waited 6 weeks between being told you phone shipped and would be there within "48 hours"? Why wait so long? If your speaker is out, what good is your phone? I would have been on the phone screaming at them for some sort of resolution. Do you have the option of going into a phone center? I'm not familiar with Bell so that may be a dumb question. But it sounds like you've been more than patient.

here's what happened.. I figured my phone couldn't be fixed by the the suggestions in the forum, so after 2 days of no speaker, I went into the store to see about getting it repaired.

at the store, I was told I'd have to send it in and would take more than 2 weeks to fix, so I went home to back up my usb contents etc.. when I went back in a few days later, they told me a replacement would be shipped out in 48 hours..

2 weeks go by I contact them saying I'm still waiting, they said they'd look into it and get back to me.

weeks go by again, and I contact them, and they say the "request for replacement is sent out".

more time passes, and still no replacement, so I ask again, and they tell me they have no way of finding out or confirming its being sent or when.

basically after 2 months give or take, I'm just sitting around waiting. I've just been told I can go get a loaner phone in the meantime.. first time they mentioned that was an option.

its been mostly me waiting and told its been shipped (no way of tracking or confirming if it was though). I'm at their mercy it seems, and I don't like it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rajpaul View Post
    All my friends told me not to go with Bell and I did anyway for this phone. Bell made a thing about how they were improving customer service over the past couple years. Maybe not. *sigh*

All I have is general advice. Contact the Better Business Bureau of Canada and file a complaint. I've heard good things about them helping to resolve such issues. Generally they are going to want to know that you have tried contacting the business at least twice about the problem, etc. I've also had good luck with PlanetFeedback.com with some companies. It worked for a friend with Cingular in the U.S. a few years ago when he had a similar situation.

Unfortunately these options take time (though you should expect a reply with in a week or two for either). You might try just going into a Bell store and speak to someone in person if all you've done so far is call phone service.
    Thanks for the tip.. I've thought of contacting the BBB, but I didn't expect that anything would come of it. Good to know they can help possibly.

I've gone in a couple times but it seems to be after the corporate accounts people have already left (its a corp deal from my employer). I guess one of the reps is no longer working there.

It seems to be that Palm is holding things up. The last rep I talked to last nght (from the bell store) said that the replacement request had been sent out to Palm, but after that its out of their hands. And now I'm reading on this forum, that the pre's are on backorder or replacements are on backorder. I wonder if this suggests a new batch of pres, or perhaps they're just cutting off supply from lack of demand.
    Usually how Palm works is, if you complain to the BBB, it gets escalated to corporate office, so you have to call another number.

Happened with my TX back then, sent me a broken unit and it was 1 day past the warranty.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Usually how Palm works is, if you complain to the BBB, it gets escalated to corporate office, so you have to call another number.

Happened with my TX back then, sent me a broken unit and it was 1 day past the warranty.
    good to know.. so if it comes to a BBB complaint, it should be filed for Palm or Bell?
    Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    good to know.. so if it comes to a BBB complaint, it should be filed for Palm or Bell?
    I'd say in your case it's Bell, since seemingly they are the ones toying you around.

In my case only Palm was involved so it went there.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

You'd file a BBB complaint against Bell because, as Toni pointed out, they are who you are working with and, importantly, they have acknowledged responsibility for resolving the problem.

Good luck.
    I'm exactly in the same boat as tedrampart. About a week ago, my loudspeaker has gotten all distorted to the point that I cant use the speakerphone feature, also notifications are all distorted also. So a couple of days ago, I went back to Costco to exchange my phone as I have the extended service plan. I to got the runaround. They tell me there that they can not help me as they do not handle repairs, that I have to go to an actual Bell store, and they would help me out. They said something about that it being Bell's and Palm's rules. Sooo, I go over to the Bell store. They tell me that they would have to send the phone in for repairs. I said that I can't be without a phone as it is my only life line as I dont have a landline. They said they would be able to give me a loaner but they did not have any Palm Pre's at the moment???!!! They also said that if it is determined that it was damaged by misuse or water I would be charged 400 dollars for a new phone *** is that??!!! They also suggested I could phone Bell Service and they would send me out a new phone and then I would send mine in. Dont like that idea considering how many people seem to get a phone that fails right out of the box. The rep also said that they couldn't understand why the Costco kiosk would send me to them when I had the service plan. My girlfriend went and talked to a rep there and she was told my service plan comes into effect once Palm's original warranty runs out! So it does me absolutely no good right now.
    I am really reluctant to phone Bell cause I know I would get that exact runaround that tedrampart is experiencing, plus probably ending up talking to someone that I cant understand or know what I'm talking about. Haven't done to much digging into this, but already I'm frustrated with this crap.
  11.    #11  
    it really seems that between palm and bell, they've determined the best way possible to screw over their customers.

I'm sad to hear you're having the same headache I'm facing. Did they atleast send a replacement request to the "repair centre"? (I'm not sure what they mean, but my correspondence with them constantly includes this centre. Bell's? Palm's? who knows..)

This has got to end, but seeing as how bad telecommunications in Canada is right now, I don't see Bell getting any better.

Good thing I'm locked into 3 years of this rubbish.
    I had a very similar experience with bell. It's absolutely terrible.

I've toyed with writing was oosterman (or w/e his name is) on a number of occasions explaining how god awful using bell is. Not only that, they have screwed up my bill 4 out of the 6 months I've been with them! And all times, the same problem.

Absolutely terrible. It's shocking that they have ANY customers.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  13.    #13  
    you mean the Wade Oosterman? I've thought of that too, but I'm not sure what good that would do.. but anything is better than nothing. the more complaints the better. My employer tells me that Bell also has an ombudsman number that can apparently help, but she hasn't given me the number. When/if she does, I'll post it here too.

I'm going back into the store tomorrow to grab a loaner since it doesn't look like my new one is coming anytime soon. If I can dig up any info from the rep while I'm there, I'll post it.
  14.    #14  
    So I just got my replacement today, seems its just a big waiting game.

I'm still concerned over the service I received, and feel like they still need a complaint filed somewhere.
    I still say GSM Pre can't come soon enough. My Fido contract was up, I was that close to switch to Bell and buy a Pre, but luckily gave up the last minute, called in Fido to get some credits for next few months instead. So many complaints about Bell it's just doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

Weeks of April 26 - May 10 can't come soon enough...

I've had the same problem getting a replacement... it's been 2.5 months for me. So effing ****ed about this all!

Bought my Pre back in September and then around Christmas the touchscreen completely stopped working. I could see everything but it wouldn't react to any input. So basically I couldn't do anything. After power cycling it a few times I haven't turned it on since since it was completely useless. Couldn't even unlock it.

After getting the run around from a few Bell stores saying that I had to deal with Bell myself, I called Bell on the Dec 28th and they said they would send a replacement right away along with a box to return my broken phone.

I waited a week or two before calling back... they then said the Pre was on back order and they didn't know how long it would be. After much arguing I got them to refund the data portion of my plan for January. I called several times with the same answer in Feb before they finally said i could go get a loaner phone. After going to two Bell stores which both said they had no loaner phones availible I was about to give up.

I then went to the Bell website to check on the status of the repair and it said that the phone had been sent out and was in the mail. After seeing that it supposedly was on it's way I didn't bother keep searching the city's Bell stores to try to get a loaner.

Anyways, after another week or two of waiting I checked the status of the repair again online and it said "repair process completed" or something like that. I had no phone nor had I been contacted in any way even though they had my correct address and alternate phone number. I called into Bell again and they said that the phone was sent out but never was properly delivered and so it was sent back to their warehouse. They now had to open a new repair order and I'm once again at the back of the que and the Pre is on back order again. So ****ed off!!!

I looked into cancelling and starting over with a new carrier but Bell refuses to waive the $300 fee to get out of my contract. If they did I would have just ditched on this whole process months ago.

I'm at the point where I may just cancel out of spite... this is getting ********! Although they are giving me a discount on Data, I'm still paying ~$45 month for airtime that I can't use.

Anyone have any insights into what I can do?
    Last edited by Agent Imperial; 03/22/2010 at 02:31 PM.
    It's now been 3.5 months and I have finally recived a replacement Palm Pre.

It's been a friggin nightmare.

Now when I went to activate my replacement Pre after using a loaner phone (some POS flip phone from like 5 years ago) they won't give me back my unlimited data plan that I had before. They say it's not offered any more, so now instead of unlimited for $45/mth i'm paying $50/mth for 1gb.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This whole process has been a complete disaster.
    Please dont take it out on Palm, but Bell.

I am on them with the Pre but only because I get a MUCH discounted rate through my Teachers Union.

They are a complete disaster of a company and I honestly think the only reason they still are doing OK is because of all of the Union connections that they have in Canada, and people going with them for a discounted rate.
    The current status of your repair is:

Phone is being inspected/repaired.

Thank you for visiting bell.ca.

Back to homepage

will this be there for 3 months or they actually did start working on it?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    my replacement came within 1 month after pestering the same store over and over again. I had a samsung Q as a replacement and it was horrible. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast