Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sprint customers...if you have remourse in not getting the Total Equipment Protection plan (TEP) Sprint is running a promo through March to add TEP regardless when you bought your phone.

Reading the forums, the Pre is prone to issues that sometimes gets replaced under mfg'res warranty....but what if you break, loose or abuse your device? Sprint TEP covers that...even water damage....and in some cases, you can talk Sprint into crediting the $100 deductable on smartphone claims ($50 for non-'advanced' phones).

Deal link though DealNews. See the dealNews/Sprint link for qualifications.
    I highly recommend anyone with a smart phone to have this insurance. I have used it several times for other phones and once for the Pre. It's a great value if you ever run into problems.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by superdog87 View Post
    I highly recommend anyone with a smart phone to have this insurance. I have used it several times for other phones and once for the Pre. It's a great value if you ever run into problems.
    In the course of having TEP over the past 5 years, I've:
    • Replaced a Treo 700 my wife threw at a wall
    • Replaced a Mogul my wife dropped on the concrete
    • Replaced a Treo 800w my wife ran over with our mini-van
    • Replaced a Pre my wife spilled coffee onto
    • Replaced my wife's replacement Pre left in her pocket when she jumped into a swimming pool
    • About to replace my wife's 3rd Pre after countless drops onto the ground

I think in all those replacements, I've only paid a $50 deductable once without getting a compensating credit from Sprint.
    Sprint will sell you a referb Pre for $120.00. That's only $20 more then the current deductible. Save your money.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    • Replaced my wife's replacement Pre left in her pocket when she jumped into a swimming pool

I think in all those replacements, I've only paid a $50 deductable once without getting a compensating credit from Sprint.
    Good god...time to replace the wife! Except you might pay more than $50 with attorney fees.

Anyway, definitely get the insurance. It's worth every penny.
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Everything Data $69
    Damn really? If thats the case I might as well drop the insurance down some then.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeremi View Post
    Damn really? If thats the case I might as well drop the insurance down some then.
    I can confirm that to be the case here in the Lou.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Sprint will sell you a referb Pre for $120.00. That's only $20 more then the current deductible. Save your money.
    +1. not to mention basically everyone on sprint w/ a pre is sprint premier and eligible for early upgrade pricing on new phones.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I would like to let everyone know that dealing with Asurion was a HUGE PITA. And I'm not the only one that thinks so. I went through 5 refurbs before I was sent one without any problems.

The refurb Palms they send out are crap. At least you can check it out at Sprint when you purchase it.

Wow, Sprint reimbursed you? cus I had to fight them tooth and nail to get them to reimburse me half of my $100 deductible. And the only reason they gave me that was because I caught them in a lie. they told me it was an insurance problem, when in fact, it should have been replaced free under manufacturers warranty.

I have said my piece, now you need to decide. Just remember this, these people do this to make a profit. If this was a good deal for you, they wouldnt make a profit.

Trust me, its not a good deal!
  10.    #10  
    What's the process?? What do you need to do/talk to?
    If the damage to the phone was not intentional (water, physical, lost...) then you qualify for advanced exchange most of the time. Sprint likes to make you go through the insurance part, but the truth is you pay a fee for the insurance company and part fee for Sprint's advanced exchange. The advanced exchange through Sprint is 100% free. Anytime my phone gets messed up, it's free as long as I didn't cause the damage. The one time I had to use the insurance part, Sprint did offer to upgrade my phone or receive a $100 credit. I upgraded my phone.
    its not just about replaceing,,its good to know what ever the issue,,just walk into the repair location,get it looked at and if possible,,fixed,,with out paying anymore. That's good piece of mind for 7 freaking dollars a month.
    It isn't setup the way this post makes it sound. I wish I could find the chart we use in store to explain the differences, but I can't seem to remember where it is located on Sprint.com (it's easier to see visually in a chart).

Here's essentially the same information, but not as easy to read. I'll see if I can find the link, or copy it onto here when I have it in front of me.

Normal Wear & Tear
    Repairs and replacements due to non-physical damage issues such as mechanical or electrical failures not covered by the manufacturer's warranty, routine maintenance, and failure from normal wear and tear.
    TEP = $0 deductible
    ESRP = $0 deductible
    ERP = $99 for Phones or Mobile Broadband Cards, $119 for PDA Smartphones
    No Coverage = $99 for Phones or Mobile Broadband Cards, $119 for PDA Smartphones

Physical Damage
    Repairs and replcements due to damage such as cracked or broken housings, cracked or separated hinges, cracked or bleeding screens, cracked or broken lenses, and broken or bent ports or pins.
    TEP = $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible through Asurion.
    ESRP = $99 for Phones, Mobile Broadband Cards, $119 for PDA Smartphones
    ERP = $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible through Asurion.
    No Coverage = $99 for Phones, Mobile Broadband Cards, $119 for PDA Smartphones

Damage Beyond Repair
    Replacements due to damage such as liquid damage, damage beyond repair, loss or theft.
    ESRP = Full retail price, or applicable upgrade price.
    No Coverage = Full retail price, or applicable upgrade price.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Wow. In spite of all the negative aspects of Asurian I see posted, this seems like a good thing, now that Ilve had multiple refurbs.

I worry about what will happen after I'm out of manufacturer's warrenty. If someone like me (who babys the phone) can experience so many build issues, it might be worthwhile.

btw: after much research here about which insurance would be best- I opted for Best Buy. A little more monthly, but seemed the better coverage. I went away on an extended trip & got cancelled for an administrative snafu (thiers) they never fully explained.

According to the rep, my CC card # would not charge, although it worked just fine for the Pre purchase, as well as the initial insurance sign-up. And it worked fine everywhere I used it while traveling,
    oops, posted too soon...anyway, they would only 'reinstate' me if I brought my phone in for inspection, to make sure it was in original condition. Too late, I already had several issues, even though I had decided to live w/ them.

I fought the good fight, seeing as this had nothing to do w/ insufficient funds (my bank says no charge attempt ever presented) but decided to call it a loss, after spending too much time on it.

I will likely sign up for TEP now, if they're opening enrollment. I hate insurance, but it's a necessary evil. I ran the numbers, and at the rate of fails, it would be advisable, for me.
    I dropped my inusrance after being unemployed for a while and trying to cut cost . After getting a job back I tried to add it back and they told me NO. this is great. I added the inusrance back . I had used this insurance in the past and its worth it. Not just replacments but repairs. I had a button issue with my PRE and went to the sprint store. they told me if I had the insurance they would fix it OR just give me a new one but there was nothing I could do other then send it in for repair and pay for the repair. Glad to have the insurance back.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I finally turned mine into asurion last week, completely painless, quick got a brand new phone next day, but it came with no charger, they said it would. So I called and they were very nice and offered to send me one, but I told them I didn't need it, I was just keeping mine. And she went on to tell me to keep my battery too. Because all they need back was the phone with back cover.

for those complaining of refurbs, if they do not tell you prior to paying deductible that you will be getting a refurb, it will be new, if you are not told prior and in fact you do receive a refurb, call immediately. On their website deep in fine print I found that useful bit of info. (that they are required to tell you prior to paying the non-refundable $100).

totally worth it for me, because I am not the primary line on account, for the 1 year discount prices for primere accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post

Does your wife send Sprint an X-Mas card every year thanking them for their outstanding replacement plan, or do you have to do that for her as well?
    I'm speaking from experience. Dog eats phone beyond repair. Go to Sprint repair center. $120 cash for referb Pre. To me this makes the Asurion insurance obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl
    It isn't setup the way this post makes it sound. I wish I could find the chart we use in store to explain the differences, but I can't seem to remember where it is located on Sprint.com (it's easier to see visually in a chart).

Here's essentially the same information, but not as easy to read. I'll see if I can find the link, or copy it onto here when I have it in front of me.

Normal Wear & Tear
    Repairs and replacements due to non-physical damage issues such as mechanical or electrical failures not covered by the manufacturer's warranty, routine maintenance, and failure from normal wear and tear.
    TEP = $0 deductible
    ESRP = $0 deductible
    ERP = $99 for Phones or Mobile Broadband Cards, $119 for PDA Smartphones
    No Coverage = $99 for Phones or Mobile Broadband Cards, $119 for PDA Smartphones

Physical Damage
    Repairs and replcements due to damage such as cracked or broken housings, cracked or separated hinges, cracked or bleeding screens, cracked or broken lenses, and broken or bent ports or pins.
    ESRP = $99 for Phones, Mobile Broadband Cards, $119 for PDA Smartphones
    No Coverage = $99 for Phones, Mobile Broadband Cards, $119 for PDA Smartphones

Damage Beyond Repair
    Replacements due to damage such as liquid damage, damage beyond repair, loss or theft.
    ESRP = Full retail price, or applicable upgrade price.
    No Coverage = Full retail price, or applicable upgrade price.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I'm speaking from experience. Dog eats phone beyond repair. Go to Sprint repair center. $120 cash for referb Pre. To me this makes the Asurion insurance obsolete.
    Sorry no. The 120$ does not cover water damage or board-level damage. A broken screen, yes. A charging port broken off the main circuit board, no.
    Since the phone has a 1-year warranty the best option is actually the $4 a month ERP (Equipment Replacement Plan) since it's the "Insurance" part of the TEP plan.

Phone Protection Solutions
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast