Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    hey there. im looking at some sprint palm pre's and currently on verizon network. i called up verizon and asked if i had purchase a palm pre that used to be on sprint newtwork if I could add it to verizon and they said no due to software. were they lying so i'd spend money on a pre plus, or is it possible?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    For the most part ya they are telling the truth.
    Why would you want a Sprint model on Vrz anyways?!? The Plus is a little bit better phone (with it's own minor issues as well) and it seems backwards that you would want to go that route.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    i'm stuck in contact till the end of this year. i can buy a refurb or used palm pre for $100-200 and use it till my contract ends. pre plus sell's for way more. so what's the less part that they're lying about? is it possible?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Do you want to stay with Verizon or eventually switch to Sprint?
    I believe it's 'technically' possible but would void any warranties. Not a good route to go at all.. .
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I imagine as long as they will activate the serial number a Pre with the Verizon software loaded using WebOS Doctor would work just fine. Don't quote me on that but I'm pretty sure that is the case.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Also, if you could hook up with someone that is starting a new contract with Verizon they get a second phone for free or super cheap or something so may be you could help split the cost on that deal and still get a better priced Pre/Pixi Plus. Just a thought and not sure on that exact deal but Verizon is definitely hooking up new customers with sweet deals like that.. .
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    phone warranties? i've never used any warranty with the 8years + with verizon. i'm sticking with verizon. as my contract ends in dec i'll probably get a free new smart phone then, but would like to jump on the smart phone wagon now. i'd like to find out about being able to use a sprint pre on verizon now, before i go out and buy one. good idea about the check with someone getting a new phone.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    When you upgrade to a smart phone and realize how fragile they are you will know all there is to know about warranties and insurance. Just a reality with these delicate phones and the fact that the Palm models have had plenty of factory default issues, it's just good to have that piece of mind so Vrzn doesn't try and screw you over if problems do arise...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    thanks. i'll keep that in mind. anyone getting a palm plus anytime soon? they're doing a buy one get one.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by f1lm3r View Post
    thanks. i'll keep that in mind. anyone getting a palm plus anytime soon? they're doing a buy one get one.
    Try pushing the 'thanks' button. It's fun! jk

Seriously, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start a new thread seeing if anyone would like to go in on that 2 for 1 deal with you. I'm listening to PalmCast97 now and they mentioned if you but a Pre Plus or any other smart phone, you get a choice of 6 other smart phones for free.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    alright, cool.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    ..and I'll throw you your first thanks back at ya.

Welcome to the forums.
    He really didn't mention anything less. But Sprint will not activate a Vzw phone on their network, and Vzw will not activate a Sprint phone on theirs. They can tell that the phone is not one of theirs by the ESN or MEID of the phone. With CDMA phones, that is like a fingerprint that identifies the phone and ties it to a vendor. There have been discussions about changing those numbers via software but by the time you get done doing that, there is still a chance that Vzw won't activate it. From a technical point of view, it is possible. But from a business point of view, it probably wouldn't be worth it. I mean, what happens if someone at Vzw tells you they will do it, you buy the phone, and then someone else tells you they won't. You're stuck with a phone that won't work. You'd be farther ahead to find away to get the Vzw Pre, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by f1lm3r View Post
    i'm stuck in contact till the end of this year. i can buy a refurb or used palm pre for $100-200 and use it till my contract ends. pre plus sell's for way more. so what's the less part that they're lying about? is it possible?
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."