1.    #1  
    see the attached Is Sprint Ready for War? (S)
    Sprint will be first to market with 4G smart phones. However unless they can improve WiMax before AT&T rolls out LTE, they will lose in the long run. LTE's base specs are better then WiMax from what I've read.
    I had read something awhile back that Sprint/Clearwire said if WiMax does not pan out to well for them, it will only be a software change on the system to convert to LTE. The phones would be another story though. Maybe there should be dual WiMax/LTE phones just in case.

Clearwire says it's not married to WiMAX for 4G, would be easy to switch -- Engadget
    Sprint keeping its options open with LTE? -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    Sprint will be first to market with 4G smart phones. However unless they can improve WiMax before AT&T rolls out LTE, they will lose in the long run. LTE's base specs are better then WiMax from what I've read.
    Not at all true. WiMAX and LTE use essentially the same core technology. The higher level protocols are different and implementations will be different for carriers as ATT/Verizon will be using 700Mhz frequency but with less spectrum, only 25Mhz if I recall. Sprint/Clearwire is using 2.3Ghz but with much more spectrum, like over 100Mhz, which means far more capacity to share.

The lower frequency allows for penetration in buildings but has other issues in high speed. Sprint has all that spectrum (technically enough to do 1Gbps shared) but has challenges with building penetration. The answer to both issues is MIMO antennas, which we may not see till next gen of 4G (both LTE and WiMAX). Ultimately supplying enough backhaul to each site to provide enough bandwidth is the ultimate challenge, whether LTE or WiMAX.

We should want WiMAX to succeed though because it is more consumer friendly. WiMAX is controlled by IEEE, same as WiFi, which the consumer electronics industry is already tied into. LTE is controlled by the gastapo telcom companies (3GGP)... the ultimate controlling entity of the universe.

If Sprint/Clearwire changes to LTE down the road, it won't be due to technology challenges (which are literally the same). They may change if LTE has more momentum than WiMAX, especially in the States. And it probably would be easy to do.

But I'd rather see WiMAX succeed. ATT/Verizon don't want WiMAX to succeed because they have no control over it.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I want whatever has building penetration to succeed.

My Pre's battery knows Sprint doesn't have that. : /
    ^MIMO (smart) antennas will help with building penetration at 2.3Ghz. The challenge for 700mhz frequency is getting high throughput when there is a lot of bouncing going on - apparently less of an issue at 2.3Ghz. There is apparently no perfect frequency range when it comes to 4G. There are plusses and minusses to both. MIMO antennas will help both issues.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    i don't want them to beat everybody else.
    i want them just to survive so there will be less people on the network and faster speed for me
    Last edited by Warblad13; 02/24/2010 at 12:46 PM.