Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE: The conflict has been resolved by Sprint. Please look here if you are interested in how it was resolved. Thanks all for your opinions and feedback.

Hey all,

I have a problem.

I have one line on Sprint and one on AT&T. I want to combine the two lines to just have one service, one bill. Personally, I really like my Pre and want to stay with Sprint for as long as possible, so I want to switch my AT&T line over to Sprint. Keep in mind that either of these lines will incur termination fees for switching.

I spoke with AT&T and they told me that they will credit me back the Sprint termination fee if I was to switch over to AT&T (one phone call).

I have been speaking with Sprint for the past 2 days and no one is willing to fight for my business (6 calls). They admit that they can't do anything about the termination fee from AT&T.

My situation breakdown:
    AT&T -> Sprint:
    ETF: $200
    BB Tour: $200
    Activation: $37
    Shipping: $13

Total: $450 lump sum, $130/month after

Sprint -> AT&T:
    ETF: $200 (-$200 credit)
    dumbphone: Free
    Activation: $30

Total: $30 lump sum, $90~ /month after that

Since I can't afford AT&T's data plan, I will have to get a basic plan with unlimited texting for around 90 for two lines from them.

So, switching to Sprint costs me 450 bucks, switching to AT&T costs me 30.

I have tried over 7 times now (I called once more while typing this post) and spoke with elevated management (or something like that) and apparently, they want me to switch over to AT&T too.

Am I in the wrong to ask Sprint to try to compensate me for the AT&T Termination fee? Is it not fair to them? Should I just let go of my precious Pre and live life with a dumb phone?

What do you guys think? Or, what would be a better way of asking Sprint to help alleviate the pain of the $450 to switch over to Sprint?
    Last edited by SirataXero; 02/22/2010 at 06:05 PM.
    I guess Sprint are really not obliged to pay your termination fees - It's quite a large sum to be fair. I can understand your irritation though, especially since AT&T have offered to pay your Sprint termination fees.

Could you compromise and move to AT&T and spend a little extra to buy an unlocked Palm Pre?
    Neither comapny has to credit the ETF of the other... I'm actually surprised that AT&T is willing to.

That being said, I believe Sprint to be a better value overall, however if you're going to go with a non-data plan on AT&T, then you may save money that way... of course you couldn't pay me enough to switch to AT&T.

I would look at the way you WANT to use the phone and find the best value based on that.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Seems a bit of apples to oranges as far as the phones go... switch to sprint and buy a bb tour vs switch to at&t and buy a dumb phone. Is it cheaper to wait out the AT&T contract and then switch so you're not paying the ETF?
  5.    #5  
    I completely understand that Sprint is not obliged to pay anything.

I just thought they'd want my business. I mean, I've been a loyal customer. I have their second highest plan, i'm paying $70 every month, on time. I just hoped they could provide me with an incentive to stay. Like AT&T is providing me with an incentive to switch.

I really don't want to switch to AT&T. It's more of a personal 'vendetta' then it is anything else. I also can't afford unlimited data and text on an AT&T Family plan, so I'll have to downgrade. .

Has anyone gotten an unlocked GSM Palm Pre and activated on AT&T yet?

*SIGH*

I REALLY want to avoid AT&T... : /
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Seems a bit of apples to oranges as far as the phones go... switch to sprint and buy a bb tour vs switch to at&t and buy a dumb phone. Is it cheaper to wait out the AT&T contract and then switch so you're not paying the ETF?
    The contracts are both practically brand new.

The Sprint contract is 5 months old, the AT&T contract is 2 months old.
    Sounds like you would not be happy at all with both lines on AT&T. I say wait it out or bite the bullet to go to Sprint. But then, it's your money so it's easier to do.
    look at it this way by staying on sprint you can keep your pre which will save you the 350+ that it runs unlocked while avoiding going to at&t and downgrading your service plan hope this helps
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    Neither comapny has to credit the ETF of the other... I'm actually surprised that AT&T is willing to.

That being said, I believe Sprint to be a better value overall, however if you're going to go with a non-data plan on AT&T, then you may save money that way... of course you couldn't pay me enough to switch to AT&T.

I would look at the way you WANT to use the phone and find the best value based on that.
    I agree neither company has to, and I was surprised AT&T offered this as well, but once they did I've kinda been enticed (that was the point right?). It's actually the only reason I'm even considering AT&T (and a dumbphone).

Yeah, Sprint is the better value over all, which is why I want to stay with them as long as possible. That $450 is just too huge of a barrier for me (i'm a student).
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    at&t has to pay people to switch to them... interesting
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Sounds like you would not be happy at all with both lines on AT&T. I say wait it out or bite the bullet to go to Sprint. But then, it's your money so it's easier to do.
    haha. I would not be happy with AT&T (and a dumbphone) at ALL. I was on AT&T before with a Treo 680, didn't have any complaints, but I just don't want to go back. I WAS very happy with Sprint... Waiting it out is kinda long (~18 months) and that's a VERY Expensive bullet to bite... : /

Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    look at it this way by staying on sprint you can keep your pre which will save you the 350+ that it runs unlocked while avoiding going to at&t and downgrading your service plan hope this helps
    Well if I did switch to AT&T, I wouldn't get an unlocked Pre for a while (since it runs $350 and the whole reason i'd switch to AT&T is that I can afford it).
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    at&t has to pay people to switch to them... interesting
    hahaha, well I saw it more as "We know Sprint is gonna screw you over with $450, let us make the switch the other way a lot less painless for you..."

I'm almost positive that they have to pay anyone to switch over (who's NOT getting the iPhone).

Would AT&T even have 1/10th the customer base they do now if they didn't have an iPhone?
    Maybe you are going about this the wrong way, try sprint retention one more time. Instead of asking for them to pay you to ETF out of AT&T, ask them to credit you $20 a month to "add" a second 2 yr contract. Even if you can get them to credit you $10/month you are half way to where you realy want to be.

Just a thought, I'd like to hear what you finally get worked out with sprint since this sounds like what you want to happen.

Good luck
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty B. View Post
    Maybe you are going about this the wrong way, try sprint retention one more time. Instead of asking for them to pay you to ETF out of AT&T, ask them to credit you $20 a month to "add" a second 2 yr contract. Even if you can get them to credit you $10/month you are half way to where you realy want to be.

Just a thought, I'd like to hear what you finally get worked out with sprint since this sounds like what you want to happen.

Good luck
    That's actually a decent idea. I would be a lot more enticed to stay with Sprint if they were willing to offer that. Shouldn't they have brought that up though? I wasn't adamant about getting exactly $450 credited back to my account, when I called. I told them to please just give me some options, make it easier for me to stay and I definitely will. They just kept repeating that they (paraphrased: ) don't want my service and going to AT&T would be best (/paraphrase).

Do you think I should specifically bring it up? "If you offered me $20 off/month to add a new line, I'll stay with you" kind of a thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey all,

I have a problem.

I have one line on Sprint and one on AT&T. I want to combine the two lines to just have one service, one bill. Personally, I really like my Pre and want to stay with Sprint for as long as possible, so I want to switch my AT&T line over to Sprint. Keep in mind that either of these lines will incur termination fees for switching.

I spoke with AT&T and they told me that they will credit me back the Sprint termination fee if I was to switch over to AT&T (one phone call).

I have been speaking with Sprint for the past 2 days and no one is willing to fight for my business (6 calls). They admit that they can't do anything about the termination fee from AT&T.

My situation breakdown:
    AT&T -> Sprint:
    ETF: $200
    BB Tour: $200
    Activation: $37
    Shipping: $13

Total: $450 lump sum, $130/month after

Sprint -> AT&T:
    ETF: $200 (-$200 credit)
    dumbphone: Free
    Activation: $30

Total: $30 lump sum, $90~ /month after that

Since I can't afford AT&T's data plan, I will have to get a basic plan with unlimited texting for around 90 for two lines from them.

I have tried over 7 times now (I called once more while typing this post) and spoke with elevated management (or something like that) and apparently, they want me to switch over to AT&T too.

Am I in the wrong to ask Sprint to try to compensate me for the AT&T Termination fee? Is it not fair to them? Should I just let go of my precious Pre and live life with a dumb phone?

What do you guys think? Or, what would be a better way of asking Sprint to help alleviate the pain of the $450 to switch over to Sprint?
    That's weird, because just last month my Sprint rep told me that if I had anybody who wants to switch, that Sprint would pay the termination fee.

Good luck with whatever you do. Obviously, right now, ATT = No Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post

So this is just the cost to switch, right? And, you're saying you would have to get a non-data plan on AT&T (but could afford the data plan w/ Sprint)?

I think you need to look at amortizing the cost over the course of a year (more?) ... and compare apples to apples. I suspect one reason AT&T is willing to cough up money up front and Sprint isn't is because their rates are so much higher and they know they'll get their money back over a few months. Not so true with Sprint. I can't really fault them since they're giving you such a good rate to begin with.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    That's weird, because just last month my Sprint rep told me that if I had anybody who wants to switch, that Sprint would pay the termination fee.

Good luck with whatever you do. Obviously, right now, ATT = No Pre.
    WHAAATTTT!!!!! x Infinity!!

Are you SERIOUS?

That is unbelievable. That makes me so incredibly mad you can't understand.

As stated, I've been on the phone for the past two days (over 10 times) requesting that the ETF would be the LEAST of what they could do for me and I would stay with Sprint, and they so adamantly refused. I have contacted them through email, voicemails to the managers, Tech Support, Customer Service, Retentions, and probably 2 or 3 other departments I'm not even aware of.

I've heard of people getting different results after calling back a couple times, but this is incredibly ridiculous!
    Yep, "if you would be willing to work with me, I will add a second smart phone line and enter into a 2yr contract for that second line." It is going to cost me my $200 ETF fee to move my wife/gf over and if you will offer me a $10/month credit for my 2 yr contract I will give you all my smart phone business "and be another "happy, satisfied customer".

If they say no, follow through with service retention. Make sure you tell the 2nd level the reason you are leaving is that you want a single billing and AT&T is willing to credit you Sprint's ETF to get all your business, but you would rather stay with Sprint. Hope that they work with you, but for the money, why not. 2yrs with out a smart phone.

It seems like it is hit or miss with customer service. In the last year I've dealt with a lot better individual's. I've also followed up with a manager that flat out lied to me/ didn't follow up/ didn't follow through with our recorded phone conversation. Make sure you ask for the retention reps personal ID number in case you get a follow up survey call. I was called back after I politely explained how let down I felt and betrayed by the manager who did not address my problem and did not call me back within 48 hours as I was promised.

Good Luck
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    If you were to compare apples to apples. Staying with Sprint and keeping your Pre. vs Switching to at&t and a similar data/messaging plan, Sprint over the coarse of the 2 yr contract is going to save you far more than your termination fee. The retention department at Sprint may be able to do something for you as someone else has mentioned.
    Personally you could not pay me enough to switch to at&t.
    I think its totally fair for sprint to not offer to pay part of the termination. Why would you get into an ATT contract 2 months ago? You made your bed sort to speak.....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast