Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Sooo sprint calls when im in class and leaves a voicemail that im eligible for an upgrade press 5 to return call, i do so, im not eligible for an upgrade but i tell the lady i have been through 5 pres in 7 months and i think thats too high of a number. I get escalated and again...
    Finally someone asks me what i would like, i said not a refurbished pre, but a new one. They offer me a bb tour
    Kindfully reject the tour, stating i came from a bb, they offer to up my upgrade from what would have been june to now if i want to buy a new phone at customer price. Still not satisfied with that because it will still cost me some, the guy comes back and says i can get the upgrade and $10 off a month for 24 months...hmmm
    that doesnt sounds so bad and with the money saved over time i could buy a new device.
    So im at the point of keeping my pre, and chancing it wont crap out before june and act like i never called
    OR
    take the upgrade and money off and get a HTC hero or TP2 or new pre at new customer pricing
    OR
    Cancel my service and get a droid/iphone.
    Suggestions? input? ideas? i wold love to hear opinions of either, whether it would be worth swapping to a new device, or any upcoming information that may change my decision if anyone has anything to help me in this ultimatum sprint has placed me in, it would be appreciated. let me know guys, you all have shedded some light and helped me in decisions to purchase the pre, and other issues pertaining to it, so im leaving it open to the experts (you guys) HELP ME OUT?!! thanks
    Keep calling and complaining until they give you a new Pre and $10/month off your current contract. If they don't, wait until your contract is up and dump both the Pre and Sprint.

I love my Pre and Sprint, however, if I had to go through 5 phones, I would feel sooooo differently.

Good luck.
    dont take that upgrade. new phones are right around the corner
    wait for your current Pre to crap out, then call again and I'm sure they'll give you a new one at that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    dont take that upgrade. new phones are right around the corner
    And if you can wait we should start seeing this (C40) and/or 4g in the 4th quarter of 2010 or first two quarters of 2011.
    I have the same thing happening to me as well. Im on my 7th Pre which just crapped out. Sprint offered me a new Pre without having to pay out of pocket and giving me a refurb for the one that is broken. Somehow im going to end up with two pres. Keep arguing and they should give in. hope this helps.
    what was up with those 5 Pres?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    what was up with those 5 Pres?
    He must have "blowed-em-up"
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    He must have "blowed-em-up"
    ..No, not asking if he still has them...I was wondering what were the issues?
    I am always befuddled by these sort of threads... how is it possible that some people still have their "launch-day" Pre (I'm still on the same Pre I bought in July), and others have been through 5+ Pres? The numbers and probability make no sense.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Its a problem with the refurbs. they dont inspect them well enough. I had my launch day pre for 6 months before the speaker blew. then I had to go through 6 refurbs til I got one with no major issues.

Its really a shame. It makes it seem like the build quality is bad, but really its just lazy inspectors sending out phones that already had problems.
    to the OP: it sounds as though you are too picky. Do not get another Pre unless it is new. Otherwise get something like the iPhone or an HTC device...you'll be more satisfied.
    I'd wait for new phones that are right around the corner. Hopefully Palm will launch a new WebOS device with decent build quality.
    to the OP: it sounds as though you are too picky. Do not get another Pre unless it is new. Otherwise get something like the iPhone or an HTC device...you'll be more satisfied.
    ROFL a HTC device. hero sw is garbage. you will have to wipe your phone once a week. touch pro 2 battery last 3 hours and is on windows sw. htc snap is even weaker then the touch pro 2. HTC has yet to amaze me with any device. blackberrys are faithful but i love my pre. i can do hardware repairs on it so i got no complaints!
    Quote Originally Posted by dynastyisp View Post
    ROFL a HTC device. hero sw is garbage. you will have to wipe your phone once a week. touch pro 2 battery last 3 hours and is on windows sw. htc snap is even weaker then the touch pro 2. HTC has yet to amaze me with any device. blackberrys are faithful but i love my pre. i can do hardware repairs on it so i got no complaints!
    The OP never answered what was wrong with the phones. He flew into this thread, dropped his **** and left....didn't even bother to explain.

I assume that all the problems are user-induced. Go get something with a metal case so you can hammer nails into the wall with it at the same time....or learn how to manage a high-tech device.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    The OP never answered what was wrong with the phones. He flew into this thread, dropped his **** and left....didn't even bother to explain. ...
    He doesn't have to explain. He was asking for advice. Instead of bagging on him for exchanging his phone, which was the right action at the time in his mind, an oh-yeah, Sprint agreed, maybe you should offer some advice.

Wait for the updated Sprint Pre. I agree whole-heartedly that the inspection process for refurb Pre's sucks. However I still have two originals and am just now having trouble with getting stuck in headset mode. I hope I don't have to exchange mine until I can get the new one.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Here is my 2 cents...

I bought 2 Pres about two weeks after launch (one for me and one for my wife). I am now on my third Pre. The first one had a screen defect. It was replaced with a refurb. I have to agree with the poor QC on refurbs. The refurb I got had a nasty oreo, the backlights on the keyboard didn't work, the screen wasn't lined up right so light would shine through the side and it would not charge a battery. Needless to say it lasted me one day and I demanded very nicely that Sprint replace it with a new Pre, which they did. No problems since. My wife has had no problems with hers.

If Sprint is not willing to give you a brand new Pre, I would wait until the Pre's successor is released hopefully around June. I am disappointed with the Pre's build quality but absolutely love WebOS.

GOOD LUCK!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I am always befuddled by these sort of threads... how is it possible that some people still have their "launch-day" Pre (I'm still on the same Pre I bought in July), and others have been through 5+ Pres? The numbers and probability make no sense.
    Most people won't empathize with someone who is having problems if they themselves haven't had problems. It is funny how one can rationalize since they haven't had problems then somehow there aren't any problems. Or they want to know what the problems are so they can quantify them and give them some kind of meaning in their own mind to find out if the person was actually having issues or causing the issues.

I can tell you this, I have 3 Pre's on my account, and all 3 had problems. I have had, in all, 9 replacements between them, with only 2 replacements being new phones, which one of the new replacements had a screen just crack from normal use. There are issues with the build quality on the Pre, but Palm is doing as Microsoft did with the Xbox 360, just releasing the phone and hoping to work out these issues on the production line (my speculation), when in reality the issue is with the design.