Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Well,
    I got the Palm Pre on Sprint back in November and love the phone even though I'm on my second one and it suffers from the dreaded USB cracking. But the reason I'm leaving Sprint is when I am at my desk my signal sucks. It works well everywhere but around my building. Sprint engineering indicates we should be all green in the area but due to the building construction or something, it just doesn't work well. My battery gets chewed up by 2:00 or 3:00 pm most days.

I tried Airrave and it couldn't get out on my corporate network so that was not an option. Sprint offered to cancel my account completely which I accepted since they were offering no ETF. Feel bad for Sprint though because the phone was free through our business account.

Anyways, I'm going with the Verizon service and Pre Plus. My personal Blackberry Tour gets 4 bars, 3G service at my desk. Weird to that engineering stated in the area that the Sprint tranceivers are on the same tower as Verizon's.

Have others ever had issues like this? Building issues?
    No building issues with my 8 month old Pre, reception is very good in SoCal, AZ and NV (travel for work), never leaving Sprint. What's wierd, I actually get better reception in my house that I did with my Verizon phone.
    Had no problem getting Verizon signal here at home, but Sprint signal was almost zero. Was offered a Airave and now have 5 bars all the time. That along with wifi makes it perfect. My husband works in a metal building and cannot get any signal at all. He just puts his phone on airplane mode until he goes outside otherwise the phone would be looking for a signal all day and die.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Have you tried just using WiFi?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    My office does not allow WiFi. Unfortunately.
    Opposite for me, here. Almost everybody I know has Verizon, and I can point out plenty of areas where I get 3 bars or so, while they're dead in the water. I'm actually the only one that gets signal from northern Vermont to Pittsfield Mass without a hiccup.
    what about putting it in 'roam only' mode at work? it should use verizon's network instead of sprint's.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    what about putting it in 'roam only' mode at work? it should use verizon's network instead of sprint's.
    I was going to suggest this as well. The force roam patch is perfect for just those situations.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    But will I have data if I put it into Roam Only?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    You should get data if you put it in Roam Only. I have done this and recieved data via Verizon. Just make sure you have data turned on.

Why go to Verizon and pay more when you can roam on their network for free with Sprint?

I personally use the "Advanced Phone Menu" patch. It combines the "Phone Radio Toggle" (turns the phone radio on/off), "Data in Device Menu" (can turn data on and off - this is good when you go international and DO NOT want data while roaming), and the "Roam Only in Device Menu" (Toggles between Always/Never/Auto) patches.

Edit:
    Always = Always Roam, aka Verizon always
    Never = Never Roam, aka Sprint always
    Auto = Automatically choose the "best/strongest" signal, but this seems to default to Sprint even when the Sprint signal is really weak. Basically, if the phone detects even the slightest Sprint signal, it will go with Sprint.

-Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    You should get data if you put it in Roam Only. I have done this and recieved data via Verizon. Just make sure you have data turned on.

Why go to Verizon and pay more when you can roam on their network for free with Sprint?

I personally use the "Advanced Phone Menu" patch. It combines the "Phone Radio Toggle" (turns the phone radio on/off), "Data in Device Menu" (can turn data on and off - this is good when you go international and DO NOT want data while roaming), and the "Roam Only in Device Menu" (Toggles between Always/Never/Auto) patches.

Edit:
    Always = Always Roam, aka Verizon always
    Never = Never Roam, aka Sprint always
    Auto = Automatically choose the "best/strongest" signal, but this seems to default to Sprint even when the Sprint signal is really weak. Basically, if the phone detects even the slightest Sprint signal, it will go with Sprint.

-Kevin
    +1
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Well, data roaming was turned off so I'm installing the patch to see what happens. thanks for the suggestions. I too agree that I want to keep the plan since it is superior to Verizon from a price and feature perspective.

I will report back.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Wow, you guys are freaking awesome!!!!! i Have four bars roaming on verizon sitting at my desk and my data works!!!!

I have thanked you but THANKS from the bottom of my heart. Now i need to call Sprint and make sure they don't kill my account at the end of the month.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    ya, I used the roam-only patch for quite some time when I first got the pre. I would always drop calls in my bedroom (in the basement), so the roam only patch fixed that.

I found out I could get a free airave from sprint so I did that, and it works great.

I'm glad that woeks for you. I have heard that sprints signal doesn't penetrate walls as well as verizons. Not sure if that's true but it seems to be the case for me.

this is what I love about the pre. If you have a problem, someone heee will help you fix it.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    We'll see how long they let me roam before sending me the roaming notice. I used 684mb of data last month but only 38 minutes of voice (since I couldn't use my phone). I will switch the phone out of Roam Only when I leave the office at night.
    i have a pre for my daily life but when i get home i have no service in my house. i connect the internet to wifi which helps but my family has to text me to get a hold of me otherwise i wont know that that called me until i got upstairs or leave my house. sucks but it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by dynastyisp View Post
    i have a pre for my daily life but when i get home i have no service in my house. i connect the internet to wifi which helps but my family has to text me to get a hold of me otherwise i wont know that that called me until i got upstairs or leave my house. sucks but it is what it is.
    Get the airave! it will give you 4-5 bars in your home. We have it and love it. It has worked PERFECT from from day one (4 mos ago).
    Ahh, thats too bad! I personally love Sprint but I have had a building issue(literally just one), which is this one Japanese supermarket in San Jose but Verizon doesn't really get signal in there either so I'm chalking it up to horrible building... That is weird though. You'd think Sprint would do some more testing on their end to see which areas aren't penetrating and then possibly consider putting a repeater of sorts.
    Ahh, thats too bad! I personally love Sprint but I have had a building issue(literally just one), which is this one Japanese supermarket in San Jose but Verizon doesn't really get signal in there either so I'm chalking it up to horrible building... That is weird though. You'd think Sprint would do some more testing on their end to see which areas aren't penetrating and then possibly consider putting a repeater of sorts.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywaller View Post
    Wow, you guys are freaking awesome!!!!! i Have four bars roaming on verizon sitting at my desk and my data works!!!!

I have thanked you but THANKS from the bottom of my heart. Now i need to call Sprint and make sure they don't kill my account at the end of the month.
    You're very welcome. Glad to help. Sorry for the delayed response, I've been going crazy at work lately. I finally got a break since I've been snowed in for 2 days now.

FYI, I switched to the "Device Menu Megamix" patch from the "Advanced Phone Menu" patch.

-Kevin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast