Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Sprint doesn't have much choice here, they have to limit data usage at some point or the network would be overloaded. At least with 4G they let you go over 5GB and just reduce your connection speed rather than charging you for it like they do with 3G.

They are NOT guilty of false advertising. You still get an unlimited amount of data, they just reduce the rate at which you can use it once you go over 5GB. You said yourself that Sprint puts this information in their literature.
    True unlimited use of the 4G network would slow everyone else down. There has to be a limit somewhere. The only way that would work is if they had an amazing network setup that could handle all users maxing it out all the time. That would cost alot more then $60 a month...
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 02/12/2010 at 10:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I just want to point out that according to the screenshots you posted you're in SoCal. Checking Sprint coverage maps shows no 4G coverage in California. In fact with those speeds you're probably in a 1xRTT area. My point is that the screenshots you posted give no accurate indicator of 4G speed.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4gtester View Post
    I started service when it launched in Baltimore, Sep. 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    I just want to point out that according to the screenshots you posted you're in SoCal. Checking Sprint coverage maps shows no 4G coverage in California. In fact with those speeds you're probably in a 1xRTT area. My point is that the screenshots you posted give no accurate indicator of 4G speed.
    Socal is pretty close to Baltimore right?........ohh, wait.........dang, wheres my map.
    why would you ping LA if your in Baltimore for a speed test?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    why would u test ~550 miles away from your current location?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4gtester View Post
    as of 2/11/2010, Sprint 4g is very inconsistent. Sprint will start throttling your "unlimited" 4g connection after you have used about a combined total of 5 gigabytes of data download/upload usage, it is even stated in the new brochures which you can find at a local Sprint Store.

At the expensive $59.99/monthly rate, Sprint is outrages for even considering and implementing a automated service, which is handled by Clear/Sprint's computer servers based out of Southern California & Kansas City (Clear/Sprint's respective main headquarters), to dramatically downgrade the quality of your wireless internet connection and reduce raw download speeds.

The reality of the situation is Sprint sells consumers on false expectations. This is one of the reasons why Sprint will keep on bleeding subscribers like a stuck pig because consumers will expect Sprint to live up to their advertised "unlimited 4g" with "speeds up to 10 times faster than 3g" (which is about 10 megabytes per sec.) In return for consumers hard earned money, Sprint provides consumers with less than half the advertised download speeds & downgrades the "unlimited" 4g service to as tolerable as dial-up speeds.

Sprint receives an F for FAILURE on the launch of their 4g services.

http://i49.tinypic.com/mru6mt.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/69p84h.jpg
    For your information... EVERY carrier exercises this practice. Every carrier throttles and/or charges you after 5GB. It is their policy and it is industry practice.. Well in the USA anyhow.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    just go to Sprint News & Phone Reviews from SprintUsers and rant there, maybe they will care. sprint is treating me well ATM.
    To all of you asking why he pinged LA when he is in Baltimore, let me tell you something:

Those sites determine the location based on IP address. Therefore, on a cell network, where IP addresses can be registered to be in LA, it could actually be in use by a Baltimore user.

Also, to the OP, NO CELLULAR NETWORK is amazing enough for a ping of <100ms so far as I know.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    For your information... EVERY carrier exercises this practice. Every carrier throttles and/or charges you after 5GB. It is their policy and it is industry practice.. Well in the USA anyhow.
    I have 4g & I live in Austin, TX. When I go to speedtest.net or pingtest.net it shows my ip is based out of Kansas City , MO. Kansas City is Sprint's main headquarters. I just looked on Clearwire's website & they have an office in SoCal, not to say understand the whole process.

If you are having problems with your connection card you should call advanced tech support & have them attempt to resolve your issue. Advanced Tech Support # is: 1-877-809-6696. It could very well be your connection card equipment & if tech support can't take care of it on their end you may need to replace the equipment. Then go from there.

AND why is everybody getting so defensive if it ain't true? I would be frustrated too if my 4g connection wasn't working. 4g is the first of it's kind as far as taking wireless internet to the next level.

4gtester, let me know how Sprint takes care of it, I want to know if they will be able to resolve ur issue. Sometimes my connection drops a lot & I'm going to contact Advanced Tech support & c if they can take care of it.
    Last edited by g00glethis1; 02/12/2010 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    just go to [url= News & Phone Reviews from SprintUsers[/url] and rant there, maybe they will care. sprint is treating me well ATM.
    Just FYI. The link is to www.sprintusers.com, an independently owned and operated site it is NOT run by or beholden to Sprint is any way...I am a moderator over there. If you wish to post where Sprint will see it post on Sprint Community
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    That isn't totally true...

The real WiMax isn't even out yet, it's in Beta right now. Don't be bashing a technology that's still in its infancy.

The WiMax that we want is 100Mbps Down. by the end of 2010. There will be no delay's.
    4GTester

There is no throttle or limitation on 4G data usage, the only limitation is on 3G services, and the statement is that Sprint reserves the right to throttle your 3G service, not that they will throttle your service.

While service may be spotty in some areas remember that this is the 1st 4G network deployment in the US. When 3G services were launched around 2001 coverage was not as ubiquitous as it is today for ANY provider.

As far as pricing is concerned, $59.99 for 5GB of 3G is the going rate for Sprint, Verizon AND ATT. The only difference is, for an additional $0.00 you can get unlimited 4G service with Sprint. You are actually not paying any additional money for sprint's unlimited 4G service than you are for 5GB of 3G service.

As far as your test results, I agree that they are horrible. It makes me thing that you were either on 1xRTT, or really far away from the Wimax tower. I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your performance. I have a u301 in Philadelphia and consistently get 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up when I have 4 bars or more. When I have 2 bars of service I usually get between 2.5 to 3Mbps on the download and 1Mbps on the upload.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12