Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Having a new PrePlus would be nice, but why would anyone pay $40 more per month more for the unlimited Voice, Text, Data, and Nav to use Verizon over Sprint?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Network coverage.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Network coverage.
    That's only valid if you live in or often travel to areas of the country not serviced by Sprint. And even then, you are able to roam for free with Sprint if necessary.
    Other than that, with all things being equal, I have absolutely no idea why anyone would choose Verizon over Sprint. Sprint includes almost everything. With Verizon, "There's a fee for that."
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I would add you could be unlucky enough to live in an almost dead spot like my folks do. At Christmas, the best I could get was 1 bar in their house (talk about a dead battery quickly . If I drove a mile down the road - 5 bars.

But I agree 100% with all things been equal. Where I live its no contest; full coverage pretty much everywhere - save the money and go with Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    That's only valid if you live in or often travel to areas of the country not serviced by Sprint. And even then, you are able to roam for free with Sprint if necessary.
    Other than that, with all things being equal, I have absolutely no idea why anyone would choose Verizon over Sprint. Sprint includes almost everything. With Verizon, "There's a fee for that."
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I would add you could be unlucky enough to live in an almost dead spot like my folks do. At Christmas, the best I could get was 1 bar in their house (talk about a dead battery quickly . If I drove a mile down the road - 5 bars.

But I agree 100% with all things been equal. Where I live its no contest; full coverage pretty much everywhere - save the money and go with Sprint.
    The nice thing about that situation too is that in many cases, sprint will give you a free airave to use in your home. Not much consolation if you don't have high speed internet, but it's there if you need it.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I would have loved to get sprint for their plans, but I live in a former sprint affilate market, with a population , metro wide of 400,000 and no evdo at all, thats ridiculous. , plus coverage here is not that great for sprint. but if I lived in a place with good coverage i would get sprint.
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    The reason I choose VZW over sprint is my Home town at the time the only thing that worked was VZW waaaaay before all the roaming agreements came around. If you had Sprint you were "Analog Roam" in my home town. So I've always stayed with Verizon. Plus I now just have to pee and moan and I get a new phone darn near any time I want. I resigned my 2 lines when the droid came out and got me and my wife one and did it again when the pre, pixi launched.

So in a calender year I've had 5 resigns and they have given me the new phone I want. Storm, Storm 2, Tour, Droid, Droid Eris, Pre, Pixi. So I'll spend that extra 40 bucks if I can have a new phone when I want
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Having a new PrePlus would be nice, but why would anyone pay $40 more per month more for the unlimited Voice, Text, Data, and Nav to use Verizon over Sprint?
    I'm wondering the same thing. I thought we were in a reccesion. I guess people have money to waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    First off, it's the network stupid. Look at this map:
    Sprint - Nationwide Coverage and look at the green areas. That's Sprint.

Look at this map for VZ: http://phones.verizonwireless.com/3G...verizonmap.jpg

Additionally, even in an area that has Sprint coverage, Sprint's signal at PCS band doesn't penetrate structure nearly as well as VZ's 850 Mhz signal, and their 700 Mhz spectrum that will have LTE deployed on it next year will be even better. So indoor coverage is great for VZ.

Secondly, with the exception of the Pre, Sprint has a much more limited set of handsets available than Sprint does. And the most advanced phones will almost always launch on VZ or AT&T first, again, with the Pre excepted.

Paying less doesn't help you if the service sucks where you use it, and you can't use the device that you want.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    First off, it's the network stupid. Look at this map:
    Sprint - Nationwide Coverage and look at the green areas. That's Sprint.

Look at this map for VZ: http://phones.verizonwireless.com/3G...verizonmap.jpg

Additionally, even in an area that has Sprint coverage, Sprint's signal at PCS band doesn't penetrate structure nearly as well as VZ's 850 Mhz signal, and their 700 Mhz spectrum that will have LTE deployed on it next year will be even better. So indoor coverage is great for VZ.

Secondly, with the exception of the Pre, Sprint has a much more limited set of handsets available than Sprint does. And the most advanced phones will almost always launch on VZ or AT&T first, again, with the Pre excepted.

Paying less doesn't help you if the service sucks where you use it, and you can't use the device that you want.

Don't call people Stupid that just shows your own stupidity.

it may be the network but I know for one fact that in my office that my Sprint Pre has WAY better than ANY VZ phone that has been there. They always have to go stand by a window and I can get service and Data service anywhere in the building! But I am not an ***** and I know that it all depends on your location.

But I would Much rather have Sprint even if the coverage was more spotty (which it isn't) than deal with VZ.

I also know that EVERYBODY has their own personal preference and that is your own freedom.

I Say... ENJOY the Pre it is an AWESOME phone and can't wait till Monday for the 1.4 WebOs to come out
    Palm m515 } Moto Q9c } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } bought a Palm Pre off of Ebay } that died } downgraded to an HTC EVO 4G } holding out hope for another WebOS device (also Preordered a Touchpad and have had it ever since the first day it came out!)
    One reason I think is that years ago Sprint service was not up to par compared to Verizon. When I was with Sprint 10 years ago, everytime I left the greater LA area I was roaming and back then that got really expensive fast! I started a job where I traveled alot in CA, AZ and NV, so I had to can Sprint for Verizon. When I decided to to try Sprint last June, I told the Sprint rep that I would try the Pre with Sprint service for the 30 day trial period (kept my Verizon phone active, if I did not like Sprint I was only out $35) , I mean that's how leary I was of Sprint from my past experiences with them. But I have to admit, Sprint has really improved their network and after using them now for 8 months I cannot tell any difference between Sprint and Verizon except my pockets have more money in them now. These days, many people only know the old Sprint and are afraid to switch over regardless of how much money they can save.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Not everybody pays $40 more for Verizon. In my case, with a family plan, I actually save about $35/month with Verizon compared to Sprint. On top of that I was getting bad reception and dropped calls with Sprint at my house. Verizon is flawless. I was able to switch to Verizon without paying any ETA and got a mcu better phone in the Verizon Pixi Plus compared to the Sprint Pre. Sprint completely blew it with the the no WIFi Pixi decision.

So, for some of us it is about better coverage and a better phone for less money. Hard to argue with that.
    I am with Verizon because I get a really good discount on my service through my employer. I pay under $100 a month for 2 lines, both smartphones, and minimum text plans on both (we really don't text that much, we use email). Also, since just about everybody we call is on Verizon, we never come close to using up or minutes, so earlier N&W is not really a need for us. I have no need for turn by turn nav on my phone, google maps works just fine for me as I have a Garmin that I use in the car anyway. So don't assume everybody pays full price on Verizon. Also, don't assume everybody needs unlimited everything. Actually, I would venture to say most wireless customers probably don't.

Also, Verizon has grown in our area by taking everybody else over. Here in Omaha (700,000 metro area), there is only Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and US Cellular as major carriers along with some pre-paid carriers. Alltel was actually a major player here and dominated rural coverage. Verizon just bought them out. AT&T is just not that good here. US Cellular is ok, but always a few months behind the major carriers when it comes to any cool phones. Sprint for a long time was just not that good around here. They were fine in the city, but if you got out of the city, it was very spotty for a long time. Even just a few years ago, if you went west of Lincoln on I-80, you were roaming. They are probably better now, but until Verizon gives people a reason to leave, they are unlikely to do so. And price alone won't make people look elseware, poor service experiences have to cause some of that churn. The only thing I see that could turn some people off to Verizon is their new policy of forcing data plans on some feature phones. Time will tell.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I agree. The #1 reason I'm with sprint is their prices. The coverage here is excellent. I def wouldn't pay $40 more per month so it works in my basement. I have a free airave for that anyways. To the above poster, I have a close plan to yours. I have 2 lines on family plan. Unlimited text tho, and unlimited data. So I get more than you do. And I only pay $76 per month. So I'm still saving 20/month over you and I get more than you. I'd say that's a win-win for sprint.
    I switched from Sprint to Verizon and actually saved money. I had 450 minutes and unlimited data with sprint for 69.99 for my treo but also had a 60.00 charge for my usb aircard. Now with Verizon I have the pre+ (better phone) for 99.00 and the hotspot for 30 bucks more so I'm saving 10 bucks, also the insurance is 6 bucks instead of 7 bucks with sprint. They also are giving a corporate discount of 20% so I will save even more on my next bill.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Why don't so many people understand that (for some of us) our network choice has EVERYTHING to do with where we live and/or travel to?

I had Sprint for several years. The service is terrible where I live and work. Verizon service is far superior ... FOR ME! That doesn't make it the right choice for anyone else. But, it IS the right choice for ME.
    Nicky
    Coverage. Plain and simple.

Yes you can roam for free but unless you're in a former alltell market you will roam at 2g speeds not 3g. Sprint has never had 3g roaming agreements. When LTE rolls out we'll all still be roaming at 2g while a true VZW customer will have LTE.

I use sprint because they had the pre first, its cheaper, and I work in a former Alltel market so I roam at 3g speeds. While at home I use Wi-Fi. Once a 3g airave is released I'll snatch one up.
    I agree with everyone that said coverage. Sprint coverage is pretty good (could be better) where I live. Verizon on the other hand has great coverage where I live. I know many say you can roam on verizon but its not the same. I've had many situations where my call drops because I may only have between 0 -1 bar of service. If I switch to roam only then it works fine, so its a good option to have ....But you tend to miss calls or drop calls before you force it to roam only.
    Quote Originally Posted by vteclipsegs View Post
    Sprint has never had 3g roaming agreements.
    This is no longer true. I can get a full EVDO signal when I switch to roam only on my Sprint Pre. Sprint gets full 3g roaming on Verizon and vica versa.

The only reason to use Verizon over Sprint is if you have no Sprint coverage where you live causing you to use more than half of your call minutes roaming which Sprint frowns upon. Another reason to use Verizon would be if you get a great corporate discount. Those are the only reasons I can think of.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I think the real reason is that sprint still has a bad name. Whenever I bring it up at work I always get three to five people willing to tell me the horror stories of dealing with sprint. Either they would overcharge and it'd be a fight to correct it, or a discount would be promised but it would take a call each month for three or four months before they would partially discount it, though it'd take a few more months to get it fully discounted.

I had the problem of dealing with them, when they changed their name to embarq, for internet, and it was hell, eventually I gave up and just canceled, after paying nearly 60 bucks a month when I had been told it would only be 25.

I gave them another chance and am happy about it, but I don't feel any real loyalty since they screwed me over once before, and many of my co-workers are unwilling to go back for this reason, they would gladly pay 20-50 dollars more just to be sure they aren't gonna be screwed out of that money anyway.

I think sprint really made a mistake with they're lousy customer service and it's still haunting them.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast