Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    This is no longer true. I can get a full EVDO signal when I switch to roam only on my Sprint Pre. Sprint gets full 3g roaming on Verizon and vica versa.

The only reason to use Verizon over Sprint is if you have no Sprint coverage where you live causing you to use more than half of your call minutes roaming which Sprint frowns upon. Another reason to use Verizon would be if you get a great corporate discount. Those are the only reasons I can think of.
    Really? That's not my experience with the pre. Roaming definitely seems 2G with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Not everybody pays $40 more for Verizon. In my case, with a family plan, I actually save about $35/month with Verizon compared to Sprint. On top of that I was getting bad reception and dropped calls with Sprint at my house. Verizon is flawless. I was able to switch to Verizon without paying any ETA and got a mcu better phone in the Verizon Pixi Plus compared to the Sprint Pre. Sprint completely blew it with the the no WIFi Pixi decision.

So, for some of us it is about better coverage and a better phone for less money. Hard to argue with that.
    Thats one thing about Sprint is that they force a data plan on everyone with their family plans.. It's still cheaper for me to be with Sprint because I only have one line that doesn't require data. That and I get a good discount through my employer, and the Any Mobile, Any Time is a KILLER feature. I think I use about 2k minutes/month on Any Mobile, Any Time these days..
    Not everybody pays $40 more for Verizon. In my case, with a family plan, I actually save about $35/month with Verizon compared to Sprint. On top of that I was getting bad reception and dropped calls with Sprint at my house. Verizon is flawless. I was able to switch to Verizon without paying any ETA and got a mcu better phone in the Verizon Pixi Plus compared to the Sprint Pre. Sprint completely blew it with the the no WIFi Pixi decision.

So, for some of us it is about better coverage and a better phone for less money. Hard to argue with that.
    Id have to see your bill! there is no way you have a data plan w/ verizon and are saving 35.00 over a sprint plan. I call BS! Whether its a family plan or not!
    I want Plan details! minutes,data,messaging? and your ETF is almost double Mine!

Now if its about coverage where you live thats fine, but you are not saving money on V over Sprint if you have unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    Thats one thing about Sprint is that they force a data plan on everyone with their family plans.. It's still cheaper for me to be with Sprint because I only have one line that doesn't require data. That and I get a good discount through my employer, and the Any Mobile, Any Time is a KILLER feature. I think I use about 2k minutes/month on Any Mobile, Any Time these days..
    That is not true! Sprint has an everything messaging family plan that does not include Data!

And Sprint doesnt force you to have a Data plan unless you are using a smart phone that it constantly using data!

I have 5 lines, All w/ data, unlimited messaging,1500 landline minutes, TEP on 2 phones, And 10.00 per month for 6:00pm night and wknds.
    I get an 8% discount for 5 lines and my total bill is less than 200.00 per month.

W/ verizon I would be paying 350.00 w/o nav which I have for free w/ Sprint.
    Last edited by 2sslow; 02/13/2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Id have to see your bill! there is no way you have a data plan w/ verizon and are saving 35.00 over a sprint plan. I call BS! Whether its a family plan or not!
    I want Plan details! minutes,data,messaging? and your ETF is almost double Mine!

Now if its about coverage where you live thats fine, but you are not saving money on V over Sprint if you have unlimited data.

That is not true! Sprint has an everything messaging family plan that does not include Data!

And Sprint doesnt force you to have a Data plan unless you are using a smart phone that it constantly using data!
    I have an Everything Data Family Share 1500, and all my lines are forced to have a data plan(essentially), since I pay 20/line for any line I add instead of 10/line like the Everything Messaging Family. Granted 20/line isn't bad at all but I was sorta hoping they could just yank off data and make it 10/month.. I could live with that.

I see the point you're trying to make but depending, if one person has a smartphone and the rest are featurephones, that 20/month/additional line isn't cheap. With the ED Family Share, every line gets unlimited data, but you pay for it in higher additional line costs, and you can't take it off.

Oh, and nice avatar. Think I've seen that somewhere... :P
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    You should do a little more research before calling BS. This topic has come up many times on thee forums and is related to how Sprint forces everybody on the family plan ppay for data if you have just one smartphone on the contract.

It is pretty straight forward for a family of three:

Verizon:

$70 Verizon basic family with 550 minutes and 2 lines
    $10 3rd line
    $30 for data services for the Pixi Plus
    $5 for my daughter to get 150 SMS messages.
    $115

Sprint:

$130 Sprint EDF data/messages for family with 1500 minutes and 2 lines
    $ 20 Additional line
    $150

So, I save $35/month by going with Verizon instead of Sprint. I was able to get out of my Sprint contract with a $0 ETF adjustment because they changed my contract -- giving me grounds to cancel without a fee. This is also well documented in these forums.

So, I saved money on my bills, got better coverage and got a better phone for close to a zero cost trade if I sell my used Spint Pre for just $150.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    You should do a little more research before calling BS. This topic has come up many times on thee forums and is related to how Sprint forces everybody on the family plan ppay for data if you have just one smartphone on the contract.

Verizon:

$10 3rd line
    $115

Sprint:

$ 20 Additional line
    $150

So, I save $35/month by going with Verizon instead of Sprint. I was able to get out of my Sprint contract with a $0 ETF adjustment because they changed my contract -- giving me grounds to cancel without a fee. This is also well documented in these forums.

So, I saved money on my bills, got better coverage and got a better phone for close to a zero cost trade if I sell my used Spint Pre for just $150.
    thats not even close to being a comparable package. With your Sprint plan, you have 1000 more minutes, unlimited texting, and unlimited data, and free navigation. Why dont you add those extras in and see what you'd be paying then?

Thats like me saying I save 100 per month over Verizon because I have their $40/month basic plan and I compare it to Verizons $140/month data plan.

Its apples and oranges.

I can guarantee you there is not a single plan Verizon offers that is cheaper than the same thing at Sprint. Unless you work for Verizon and get some strange employee discount or something.

Verizon:

$10 3rd line
    $115

Sprint:

$ 20 Additional line
    $150

You have less than a third of the minutes and only have 150 texts!
    not exactly apples to apples!
    But hey if it works for you then Great!

I stand corrected.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    thats not even close to being a comparable package. With your Sprint plan, you have 1000 more minutes, unlimited texting, and unlimited data, and free navigation. Why dont you add those extras in and see what you'd be paying then?

Thats like me saying I save 100 per month over Verizon because I have their $40/month basic plan and I compare it to Verizons $140/month data plan.

Its apples and oranges.

I can guarantee you there is not a single plan Verizon offers that is cheaper than the same thing at Sprint. Unless you work for Verizon and get some strange employee discount or something.
    Why should should I add stuff that I do not need? We don't use the minutes we already have with Verizon, only I need data, only my daughter needs texting and none of us needs navigation. Sprint forces everybody in the family to pay for all of that stuff with their family plans.

I was trying to find the cheapest plan that meets my needs and Verizon blows Sprint away.
    Why should should I add stuff that I do not need? We don't use the minutes we already have with Verizon, only I need data, only my daughter needs texting and none of us needs navigation. Sprint forces everybody in the family to pay for all of that stuff with their family plans.

I was trying to find the cheapest plan that meets my needs and Verizon blows Sprint away.
    Personally, I left VZW for the Pre, but if I could have waited for the PrePlus, I would still be with VZW. VZW gives service and although they gut every phone like AT&T, your phone works, you have coverage, and you have good customer service. Until I switched to Sprint, I was unaware of the difference in cost and I would have never switched just to find out.

I think it's preference like asking someone why Coke or Pepsi. It's a choice and it's not always about cost.

The man is right. getting features for free that you don't care about is fine, but don't force include them in comparisons either. I have a nexusone with google maps that has full navigation for free. I never use Sprint nav - why am I being forced to pay for it?
    150 Texts? My daughter would burn thru that in a couple of days. Plus that's for texting inside the Verizon network (I know, used to be a Verizon subsriber), they still charge you per text outside of their network. Plus no vavigator? Verizon nickel and dimes you to death.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    You have less than a third of the minutes and only have 150 texts!
    not exactly apples to apples!
    But hey if it works for you then Great!

I stand corrected.
    I think the point he is trying to make is that because of Sprint's "one size fits all" approach to their plans, Verizon ended up being a better deal for him. The plans may not exactly be "apples to apples", but they are comparable since that's the only Sprint plan that would have worked for him. Not everyone with a family plan needs 1500 minutes, unlimited texting, and data on all their lines but with Sprint that's the only option you have. Verizon lets you put just data or texting on just one line if that's all you need, so for some people it ends up being cheaper.

I don't think there's any doubt that Sprint is the better deal if you want a family plan with all the features on all of your lines.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    150 Texts? My daughter would burn thru that in a couple of days. Plus that's for texting inside the Verizon network (I know, used to be a Verizon subsriber), they still charge you per text outside of their network. Plus no vavigator? Verizon nickel and dimes you to death.
    It is really 250 text messages. The idea is that we don't her to be texting as little as possible. The first month we didn't have texting she had a data bill for $12 -- mostly from others sending her messages. $5 seems like a great deal to contain costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Just one of my daughters would blow through that in an hour! not kidding.

Total for my 4 teen daughters is an average 20,000 texts per month.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    That's only valid if you live in or often travel to areas of the country not serviced by Sprint. And even then, you are able to roam for free with Sprint if necessary.
    Not necessarily free, if you are on Sprint and you roam it comes out of your daytime minutes. Imagine this: you make a call to your buddy's cell phone at 10pm on a Saturday. You should be able to talk as long as you want (nights and weekends, mobile to mobile). Not so if you are roaming. My friend lives out of town where Sprint coverage sucks but she works where coverage is fine. She always talked at home at night (roaming) and got burned pretty bad on her bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Why would anyone pay $40 more per month to use Verizon over Sprint?

Because people are under this misconception that:

A) The carriers network's are really that different

and, more shockingly pathetic:

B) Having 3G coverage in the desert is worth the extra $40 a month

I've used all four carriers, folks.
    The only differences are the phones. [well that is, unless I'm in Egypt and then I get 3g with Verizon [zmogz!]
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 02/25/2010 at 09:30 AM.
    I have been with Sprint for a while and I can tell you that we did have problems with them before with the bills. We always had to watch them every month or else we would end up paying for stuff we shouldn't have. Stuff like paying for night time minutes when that was included in my plan. But just as we got fed up with that they introduced the unlimited plans and we have not had any significant problems with them since that. F U C K Verizon, they are killing Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmprotection View Post
    I have been with Sprint for a while and I can tell you that we did have problems with them before with the bills. We always had to watch them every month or else we would end up paying for stuff we shouldn't have. Stuff like paying for night time minutes when that was included in my plan. But just as we got fed up with that they introduced the unlimited plans and we have not had any significant problems with them since that. F U C K Verizon, they are killing Palm.
    As true as the billing problems in the past Sprint has had...Verizon is definitely the king of nickel and diming.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I got a buddy that had been with Verizon for 12 years... His contract was to be up this June but his phone was up for a replacement (plus it was having problems) they asked me about my plan and phone with sprint

I gave the details of the plan "simply everything data family 129/mo and he was shocked b/c that was what he was paying for 2 phones with NO data on verizon

he went to a verizon store explained the situation to the sales rep, she said "we can do something for you let me talk to my manager" went to the back and came back and said, "I can't believe it but my manager said we can't come close to that so go to sprint!"

this was a week ago yesterday (Wednesday)!!!

he now has a Palm PrPrPr&#$275$; &$amp$; $Pixi$ $on$ $a$ &$quot$;$simply$ $everything$ $data$ $family$ $plan$&$quot$; $for$ $129$/$mo$

btw they both LOVE their Palms
    Palm m515 } Moto Q9c } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } bought a Palm Pre off of Ebay } that died } downgraded to an HTC EVO 4G } holding out hope for another WebOS device (also Preordered a Touchpad and have had it ever since the first day it came out!)
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Because people are under this misconception that:

A) The carriers network's are really that different

and, more shockingly pathetic:

B) Having 3G coverage in the desert is worth the extra $40 a month

I've used all four carriers, folks.
    The only differences are the phones. [well that is, unless I'm in Egypt and then I get 3g with Verizon [zmogz!]
    So, what you are saying is that I am under the misconception that:

When I sit at my desk at work, I don't have Sprint service, but I do have Verizon service?

Hmmm ... Thanks for the tip.
    Nicky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast