Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    A buddy of mine called Verizon yesterday to get a Pre and Pixi using the BOGO offer. He talked to a total of 6 reps over 2.5 hours and every single one of them tried hard to talk him out of getting a Palm phone. They gave him a serious hard sell for the Droid and told him garbage like:
    • The Pixi is too small and uncomfortable
    • The Pre doesn't work well with Gmail but Droid does
    • Switching smartphones is hard and you won't like the Pixi
    • The Pre's keyboard is terrible... Droid's is a lot better

If he didn't absolutely know he wanted to switch to WebOS from Blackberry, he probably would have changed his mind and gotten something else. I can only imagine what the average buyer goes through. How the heck are Palm phones supposed to do well on Verizon if they practically refuse to sell them?!
    My best guess is that Verizon has a much better deal with Motorola for the Droid as far as sales incentives go, either for the company as a whole (so they are told to push the Droid) or specifically as commissioned sales go for each rep. Granted I don't work for Verizon, so I don't know whether they do anything like that.

Personally from what I've read around the net it looked like Verizon got scared when Palm announced the Pre on Sprint. They then said they were going to be carrying the Pre (personally I don't think they were going to even think about it before they saw how many people were looking at getting one on Sprint). They then decided they had to have the Pre, or one-up Sprint (by getting the Pre Plus). At the same time they are carrying the Droid which as we have seen is being marketed much more heavily.

To me, working in the industry, it seems like Verizon talked Palm into giving them the Pre Plus and are now essentially just sitting on it and going with what they were going to do before anyway (promote the Droid). They don't seem to really care about the Pre Plus or Palm at all, all they cared about was taking wind out of Sprint's sales with the original launch of the Pre. They successfully did that by saying they were going to carry the Pre (and then so they weren't flatly lying about it, had to get Palm to make a deal for something like the Pre). If Verizon starts promoting the Pre more heavily I am wrong, but considering what I've seen for advertising and what I've read about experiences around the net I don't think Verizon could care any less about what happens with Palm, the Pre, or anything WebOS.

Verizon always carries Palm devices after the competition and they have never really done anything to promote them over any other device. Sprint launched the Treo 755p in May 2007, while Verizon launched it in December 2007 (5 months later). Sprint launched the Centro in October 2007, and is still carrying it for those who want one. Verizon launched the Palm Centro in June 2008 and has discontinued the model. That is an 8 month windows between when Sprint launched the device and when Verizon picked it up, and Verizon supported it for a much shorter period. If you think Verizon cares about Palm at all you are kidding yourself, all they care about is taking the wind out of the competition.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    the reps have been selling the droid as the second coming for awhile. Its easier to sell what you know than something new. Bet their WebOs training and material (signs and contests) could fill a cubicle, while their droid meetings take entire teams off the floor for hours, and everything in the center says "droid does" and every team leader and supervisor has one.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    While I agree with you the generally, Verizon is pushing the Droid over the Pre, I have to say that I have been seeing a TON of the "smart enough for mom" commercial on TV during some big-name shows, such as Lost, Chuck, Tonight Show, Today, etc. if they didn't want to sell it at all, they wouldn't have wasted all that money on advertising, right?
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Audemars02, that's a good point. I'm glad to hear that the "mom" commercial are prevalent. And as Dieter posted the other day, Verizon's YouTube channel is actually themed with Palm phones, so clearly they are pushing them somewhere at Verizon.

It just make it all the weirder that the Verizon sales reps would actually try to change someone's mind when they ask for a device by name. And not just a little promo for the Droid... but 6 reps!
    WebOS devices are not getting that push because the Droid moves units they found a slogan that works(droid does) and now they are going to milk that cow dry :-D so everything else gets scrap priority.
    Wow interesting because I got that response from Palm when I was thinking about the Palm Pre +. I am looking at the Droid now for my own reasons, but I thought that was really lame to do. I was going to contact Verizon & talk to theor reps.
    Well, the droid is exclusive to VZ. If they get you to decide on the droid, then you will have to go with VZ, which is what they care about. if you decide on the Pre, then you could change your mind and go with Sprint.

Carriers always push devices that they have exclusives on a lot harder then devices that others also offer. It's just the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Well, the droid is exclusive to VZ. If they get you to decide on the droid, then you will have to go with VZ, which is what they care about. if you decide on the Pre, then you could change your mind and go with Sprint.

Carriers always push devices that they have exclusives on a lot harder then devices that others also offer. It's just the way it is.
    Quote for Truth. iPhone anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    My best guess is that Verizon has a much better deal with Motorola for the Droid as far as sales incentives go
    Wrong; there is no incentive for the reps to sell any PDA/Smartphone over the other. There is a strong push company wide to promote pda/smartphones as a whole, but not one over the other.

The unfortunate thing is, the reps were given computer based learning on the new Palm devices, but not much more than that.

I'm personally very excited about the Pre....mine should be delivered as I type this. I could care less about any ugly, oversized Android device.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I dont care what anyone says, they shouldnt be actively swaying people AWAY from Palm phones. If someone comes in to buy a Palm phone and you switch them over to Droid, that really ****es me off.

All the advertising is null if it brings them into the store, and then they are swayed (with misinformation) away from Palm.

Verizon is really the worst company out there as far as customer service nowadays. They need to look at how that affected Sprint a few years back. Maybe customer service should be more of a priority. If they didnt have a bunch of braindead retar/ds working at Verizon, maybe this wouldnt be happening so much.
    sorry to say but vzw will not help palm out until palm gives them a incentive to sell the phones! the pre is a ton of phone but no palm support to vzw. sadly its easier for vzw to watch palm sink rather then help them out. survival of the fittest and right now palm is way out of shape!
    I agree with your statement dynasty, but your definition of the survival of the fittest is slightly off (mine was too, before my biology course). Survival of the fittest does not mean physically fit - it means whichever species is more adapted and "right" for their environment will survive and reproduce. The use you used works, but the statement that palm is out of shape is where the improper definition is used.

Sorry - I am a biology police officer =P
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I've had the opposite experience when I called Verizon today to upgrade to a Pre Plus. The guy sounded very enthusiastic about the Pre Plus, and pretty much gushed praise when I said I was interested in upgrading to it (from a Centro). Granted his perception may have been colored by the fact that he actually owned one, but it was still nice to hear someone in Verizon being positive for a change.
    1) The assumption that if it's Google, it must be good

2) The mistake that people make when they, for some ungodly reason, assume that in todays society when you go into a phone store the reps will have ANY idea what a phone is much less what it's capable of.

3) The Droid very likely has higher profit margins for stores. Generally things that cost more have a higher profit margin anyway.

4) Verizon is, no doubt, pitting the Droid against the iPhone. For obvious reasons that I don't need to state, it would explain why the Droid is the only thing that comes out of a Verizon salesperson's mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    the reps have been selling the droid as the second coming for awhile. Its easier to sell what you know than something new. Bet their WebOs training and material (signs and contests) could fill a cubicle, while their droid meetings take entire teams off the floor for hours, and everything in the center says "droid does" and every team leader and supervisor has one.

Wow... You're right on the mark...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...91021-1557.jpg

Just few weeks ago we had a dinner with my team and some of the company leadership... And honestly... I would guess that there were maybe 20 of us at the long table... And unlike most meals where having a cell phone out at the time would be considered rude, pretty much everyone had their phone out (what else would you expect from a table for of Verizon employees). I would have to say that there were 15 or so Droids, a handful of BlackBerry's, and only two Pre Plus phones (mine and an associate director's).

My point with that little story is that employees are just as much into the Droids as customers are.

And of course its definitely easier to sell something you're comfortable with, as opposed to attempting to sell the benefits of something you're not so familiar with.

So if you're speaking to someone... Whether its over the phone or in the store, and if you ask for their opinion, it only makes sense that they go with what they have or are comfortable with.

Now I personally have both the Moto Droid and the Pre, and think they're both great devices. And if ever trying to sell one, won't push one over the other, unless I think its to the customers advantage.
    Hi guys,
    you may have seen the thread http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...zon-store.html. If you or a friend knows the address of the store where you went, please feel free to rate the store in that thread. Once we get alot of input in one place, its more likely that the info could be of use.
    i'd think verizon would want the Pre to sell like the Droid because it offers a chance to make more more on data plans with Mobile Hotspot...
    Easy : BUILD QUALITY (TM)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!