View Poll Results: What is the biggest problem facing Sprint in relation to future subscriber growth?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Customer Service

28 16.00%
  • Network Issues

23 13.14%
  • Handset Technology

32 18.29%
  • Targeted Advertising

60 34.29%
  • Bad Prior Experience

83 47.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Say what you will about Sprint. AT&T would be the #3 carrier if it weren't for the iPhone.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Sprint has better pricing structure and their network is on par with verizon. I've been a a sprint user for almost ten years, Lived in WPB FL and WV and have no problems with coverage. What they need is catchy Ads, that's what sells these days. People will buy crap in a bag if its popular.
    I don't know what they're doing wrong, but i have no complaints at all. I have no dropped calls, I pay less money per month that when I was with Verizon and the CS has been great. I want a phone service that allows me to make and receive calls, send and receive text messages etc., without causing me heartache and Sprint has risen to the challenge. What can I say! As of today I have no problems with Sprint at all.
    I was an old ATTWS customer back in 2001 when I first got my first cell in college. After ATTWS being sold to cingular and I was in the block to be sold to Alltel which only had roaming coverage in my area, I bailed to Sprint in 2005. While I've had my issues with their crappy phones, lousy rebate and retainers, I've rarely had problems with their customer service. I've actually had more success with Executive Services than I did with regular CS but sometimes, regular CS had competent people. The problem I had was when I would have data issues on my BB and the Tech Support refused to escalate to RIM when RIM was advising that the issue be escalated to them by Sprint.

If I were to fix Sprint in one area, it would be the phone selection and the speed of updates. It needs to have a larger selection and a shorter cycle of updates. Both ATT and VZW have more phone selection and faster update cycles than even the bare bones European carriers that I used when I lived in Spain.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Say what you will about Sprint. AT&T would be the #3 carrier if it weren't for the iPhone.
    You're proving my point. AT&T got the iPhone because it was a huge network with good coverage and used the GSM flavor of technology that is a global standard so Apple didn't have to build multiple flavors of radios and their associated sku's for global distribution.

You're implying that if Sprint got the iPhone they would be number 2, but that is not the proper lesson to learn. The right lesson is that Apple wouldn't want to launch the iPhone on Sprint because of the network and non-standard technology, and that underlying problem is why Sprint will always be a 2nd tier carrier or worse.

That whole experience is about to be replayed again with wimax and LTE. VZ's biggest problem was the choice of CDMA that restricted the ecosystem of devices that would be built for it. Sprint benefited a lot from VZ being on CDMA of course, and not just by roaming, but also because they got to ride VZ's coattails in terms of handset volume and chipset ecosystem.

Once VZ moves to LTE, they and AT&T and others will be sharing a common ecosystem on devices, and Sprint will be much more isolated on the handset side than ever before. Which carriers will Sprint be able to roam on? Not AT&T or VZ. As they move to 4G their footprint will shrink dramatically. Who will be building handsets just for Sprint's declining sub base with no ability to sell the same handset to VZ or anyone else? You think Sprint has a limited choice of handsets now? Just wait until the future.

And don't think this will be a long ways off. Vendors today are all looking to build new LTE handsets for VZ's LTE deployment late this year and in 2011. That means dual mode CDMA/LTE handsets for VZ, and probably the most advanced handsets first, will be showing up soon. But will they work on the Sprint system? The LTE capability will basically be just added expense for Sprint. Do you think that Sprint is going to add a lot bigger subsidy to sell phones with a lot of LTE logic that is inapplicable to their network?

So the quality of handsets available to Sprint today is the best it will ever be. It will start to sharply erode by the end of the year and be even worse next year.

This is why you will NEVER see an iPhone on Sprint. Not because Sprint is a 2nd tier carrier, but because they have made fundamental choices that have isolated them from the equipment ecosystem. And unlike VZ back in the early days of the 3G deployment, they don't have the best network in terms of coverage and the largest sub base to make up for ecosystem limitations.

So it's only going to get worse friends.

If you have a theory as to why my argument is wrong, let's hear it...
    I will agree that GSM is a international standard, it is not an American standard. CDMA is standard here and is used by every carrier other than AT&T. CDMA gets better penetration in rural areas (which is great cause where I live at&t is crap)and is a newer system than GSM. CDMA has increased security and lower power requirements.

AS for LTE, we are years from seeing network wide use. Verizon has stated they will start in late 2010 but it will take till 2013 before its widely used. AT&T has also announced they are going to use LTE as well. Now you thinking what about Sprint and it's love of WiMax, well they are also testing LTE technology so it's just as likely that they will be late to the party but they will be there. They've already built wimax networks in select areas but I don't think that they are in use yet.

Anywhoooo, The only reason AT&T got the iphone was it could be sold globally not just in America which keeps cost down for Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by onduvalst View Post
    I will agree that GSM is a international standard, it is not an American standard. CDMA is standard here and is used by every carrier other than AT&T. CDMA gets better penetration in rural areas (which is great cause where I live at&t is crap)and is a newer system than GSM. CDMA has increased security and lower power requirements.

AS for LTE, we are years from seeing network wide use. Verizon has stated they will start in late 2010 but it will take till 2013 before its widely used. AT&T has also announced they are going to use LTE as well. Now you thinking what about Sprint and it's love of WiMax, well they are also testing LTE technology so it's just as likely that they will be late to the party but they will be there. They've already built wimax networks in select areas but I don't think that they are in use yet.

Anywhoooo, The only reason AT&T got the iphone was it could be sold globally not just in America which keeps cost down for Apple.
    You're not correct I'm afraid. It's true that Sprint and VZ use CDMA, but AT&T and T-mobile, and MetroPCS, and several other players all use the GSM family of technologies. GSM stands for Global Standard for Mobile. With the exception of parts of Korea, everyone else in the world uses GSM. That creates a huge ecosystem for GSM and limits CDMA.

Given that T-mo, AT&T, VZ and pretty much everyone else in the world except Sprint are moving to LTE, the ecosystem for Sprint is going to be much smaller than even CDMA was.

It doesn't matter that VZ's build will take a few years. They will want to introduce dual mode handsets as soon as possible so that as their network is built out, subs will be able to take advantage of it. That decision has an immediate impact on handsets that Sprint can tag along with.

I just don't see anyway out of the hole for Sprint.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I had a whole big post about the reasons why I think you are mistaken about the technology, but I realized it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Do you really think people research the technology and roadmaps before they get cell service? No, they want good coverage, good voice quality, good customer service and a fair price. Sprint delivers on all of these points though their old reputation for bad customer service still haunts them.

My point earlier about AT&T was literal. I'm not saying "What if the iPhone had come to Sprint...", I was saying with no iPhone AT&T would be the less crappy version of T-mobile. AT&T was bleeding customers just like Sprint before the iPhone came out and since they have done very little to improve their network or pricing in the last 3 years I think there would have been a mass exodus to VZ and Sprint. But history is written and the iPhone is a great device and it's the "In" thing to have, so AT&T gets to suck up all that business, good for them. Now if only they would do something with all that money...
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by onduvalst View Post
    CDMA is standard here and is used by every carrier other than AT&T.
    Every other carrier? Standard? Wrong. CDMA market share in the US is only 50%. In the world market, CDMA market share is barely over 10%! It absolutely cannot be called "a standard" by any stretch, and with it's severe limitations it is inferior to GSM.

GSM has a whopping 70% world market share for a reason. Well, several reasons: stronger cellular signal, simultaneous voice and data, reliable SMS delivery, seamless multiple call management, worldwide roaming, SIM card portability to other gsm devices--just to name a few.

CDMA in its present form is losing market share big time. Just in the US alone, CDMA has a NET MONTHLY LOSS of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of subscribers to GSM carriers.

CDMA is certainly part of what Sprint has done wrong.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    I think Sprint needs to market a lot in young audience (see tmobile nba commercials, AT&T carry over minutes, Verizon family etc) and please Sprint why oh why you back at the bottom of JD Power customer satisfaction survey? That is one thing you want to avoid.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I had a whole big post about the reasons why I think you are mistaken about the technology, but I realized it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Do you really think people research the technology and roadmaps before they get cell service? No, they want good coverage, good voice quality, good customer service and a fair price. Sprint delivers on all of these points though their old reputation for bad customer service still haunts them.

My point earlier about AT&T was literal. I'm not saying "What if the iPhone had come to Sprint...", I was saying with no iPhone AT&T would be the less crappy version of T-mobile. AT&T was bleeding customers just like Sprint before the iPhone came out and since they have done very little to improve their network or pricing in the last 3 years I think there would have been a mass exodus to VZ and Sprint. But history is written and the iPhone is a great device and it's the "In" thing to have, so AT&T gets to suck up all that business, good for them. Now if only they would do something with all that money...
    I know you are Sprint store manager, so this is hard for you to deal with. But you really should read what I said about the technology. The issue here is the size of the handset ecosystem. If 90% of carriers are using GSM, and 10% are using CDMA, then the economics of handsets and who new cutting edge handsets are developed is going to really be driven by where the volume is, and that's not CDMA.

If AT&T had not gotten the iPhone, T-mo probably would have, because Apple's view has always been global and therefore really didn't want to invest a lot in CDMA. You keep seemingly focus on AT&T being "lucky" in getting the iPhone, but luck has nothing to do with it. Apple's choice was not random.

And this trend is about to be played out again, and this time it's LTE vs Wimax, and unlike with CDMA, there is no Verizon on Sprint's die of the equation. How many advanced handsets will be made for Sprint when literally every other carrier in the US will be deploying LTE networks?

Look at how limited the handset choices are for iDen. That's what Sprint's Wimax handset portfolio is going to look like.

I think we can agree that lack of compelling handsets is a big problem for Sprint. My point is that gap is not going to close, but will get worse and worse, and that is not good for Sprint in attracting high ARPU users who want the latest in technology. Sure, Sprint can always grab subs by charging bargain basement rates on old style devices. But these are all low ARPU users.

And what's the point of deploying a 4G network is the only devices on it will be low powered windows mobile handsets that can't take advantage of 4G speeds and are much more expensive than their more advanced competitors because the high volume semiconductor market is being driven by LTE?

That's why technology matters, not what consumers analyze in terms of pluses or minuses, but what the handset ecosystem builds to, or in Sprint's case, what they don't build to.

You just can't keep making bad choices over and over and not suffer for it.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I could pick apart every argument made here against Sprint. Chances are good it wouldn't make a difference. You have your mind made up. I'll simply ask that you wiki Wimax and Wimax2 and google HTC Supersonic and read the articles. Look at Sprint/VZ/AT&T's phone lineup pages and compare the phones, Sprint is a lot better than you think on phones.

I have worked for Sprint for 3 years, but I've been a customer for 10 years and I have never had a complaint about my service or cost per month. If I felt Sprint was going to fail I wouldn't be working there and I'd own a iPhone.
    I could pick apart every argument made here against Sprint. Chances are good it wouldn't make a difference. You have your mind made up. I'll simply ask that you wiki Wimax and Wimax2 and google HTC Supersonic and read the articles. Look at Sprint/VZ/AT&T's phone lineup pages and compare the phones, Sprint is a lot better than you think on phones.

I have worked for Sprint for 3 years, but I've been a customer for 10 years and I have never had a complaint about my service or cost per month. If I felt Sprint was going to fail I wouldn't be working there and I'd own a iPhone.
    One wimax phone does not make an ecosystem. And that phone will be expensive because of low volumes.

In any case, my point was that Sprint's selection of phones is going to get a lot worse once LTE devices begin being deployed. It's as good as it will ever get right now. Every quarter moving forward the number of advanced handsets will decline. Sprint's 4G phone line is going to look a lot like the kind of phones you can get on the iDen network.

Do you really believe Sprint will have a ton of advanced really popular handsets that speak wimax when EVERYONE is deploying LTE? We can agree that Sprint is alone on this choice right (like they are on iDen)?
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    Every other carrier? Standard? Wrong. CDMA market share in the US is only 50%. In the world market, CDMA market share is barely over 10%! It absolutely cannot be called "a standard" by any stretch, and with it's severe limitations it is inferior to GSM.

GSM has a whopping 70% world market share for a reason. Well, several reasons: stronger cellular signal, simultaneous voice and data, reliable SMS delivery, seamless multiple call management, worldwide roaming, SIM card portability to other gsm devices--just to name a few.

CDMA in its present form is losing market share big time. Just in the US alone, CDMA has a NET MONTHLY LOSS of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of subscribers to GSM carriers.

CDMA is certainly part of what Sprint has done wrong.
    If you talk to the "experts" most have said that CDMA is, overall, better technology and has a better future for upgrades and expansions. So why did GSM win in much of the world? Answer is government subsidies and regulations, especially in Europe, designed to benifit local companies and keep out the US carriers that were tyring to get their foot in the door which, at that time, were CDMA based. Most of the stated advantages of GSM are quite possible on CDMA and are not the reason GSM in dominant but exist as a result of the dominance.
    I used Cingular back in 1992. When At&T bought them out, I tried to upgrade my phone and the CS was terible. After three days of trying to upgrade to a basic cheap phone, I left. The first store I came to was Sprint. I pulled in and have been with them every since.

Their customer service has improved and they give good employee discounts. I get 15% off. I pay $33 each for five smart phones on the familly plan. So my total bill is a little over $165 dollars. No other carrier can come close to that for five phones. You cant even get five iPhones on one plan.

Every time ive called, they take care of me. My daughter broke three phones in a row, I called them ready for battle. The girl gave me two free upgrades just for our trouble. Always call or chat with them on the internet. The stores are useless.

As far as signal goes, Sprint use to have problems, but I travel all over the country and have no issues. I always have a signal. Inside or outside of building makes no difference. Even the 3G coverage is good in most areas. The only time I ever loose signal is one of my contractor is way out in the country, in a metal building. No one get a signal in there. Its definately a dead zone. AT&t, VZ, or Sprint doesnt make a diference.

Sprints issues are based on past issues. People remember. Its like I would never go to At&t again no matter what. Its based on my past experiance and how they gave me the runaround. How does Sprint change this? Im not sure they can. You can dismiss 4G all you want, but its the future and Sprints the only one who has it up and running. As soon as Clearwater gets Houston up and running, I'll be hooking up. Cant wait for unlimmited 4G on my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    One wimax phone does not make an ecosystem. And that phone will be expensive because of low volumes.

In any case, my point was that Sprint's selection of phones is going to get a lot worse once LTE devices begin being deployed. It's as good as it will ever get right now. Every quarter moving forward the number of advanced handsets will decline. Sprint's 4G phone line is going to look a lot like the kind of phones you can get on the iDen network.

Do you really believe Sprint will have a ton of advanced really popular handsets that speak wimax when EVERYONE is deploying LTE? We can agree that Sprint is alone on this choice right (like they are on iDen)?
    You are correct at this point in time. But things change quickly. If clearwater gets the system out quick enough and people realize the implications. Not needing home internet anymore, ect. Clearwater could be looking good to other companies. Especialy if the Pre2 comes with Wimax in June. So talking about things two years down the road is realy short sided. I usualy hedge my bets with the dog in the lead. At this point that Sprint and Clearwater. Of course they may run out of gas and fall off the map. Who knows.

Your also correct GSM dominates the world market, but there are companies and governments questioning the technology, especialy with the receint security issues discovered. While this does not affect the US GSM market, it does affect other countries. So we may be seeing changes there too. Its not likely, but you never know.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I love sprint and my palm pre, no complaints here
    Unfortunately I think the issues that Sprint have are primarily based on people past experience and the Sprint brand having bad recognition. I think the only way to fix it is to rebrand the company, change the name and create a new brand that the new Sprint can start from scratch on with public opinion. Yes us tech-oriented people will know it was Sprint, but the average Joe who just thinks "Sprint sucks" won't look into it and will give Sprint a second chance on a fair playing field.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    I used Cingular back in 1992. When At&T bought them out, I tried to upgrade my phone and the CS was terible. After three days of trying to upgrade to a basic cheap phone, I left. The first store I came to was Sprint. I pulled in and have been with them every since.

Their customer service has improved and they give good employee discounts. I get 15% off. I pay $33 each for five smart phones on the familly plan. So my total bill is a little over $165 dollars. No other carrier can come close to that for five phones. You cant even get five iPhones on one plan.

Every time ive called, they take care of me. My daughter broke three phones in a row, I called them ready for battle. The girl gave me two free upgrades just for our trouble. Always call or chat with them on the internet. The stores are useless.

As far as signal goes, Sprint use to have problems, but I travel all over the country and have no issues. I always have a signal. Inside or outside of building makes no difference. Even the 3G coverage is good in most areas. The only time I ever loose signal is one of my contractor is way out in the country, in a metal building. No one get a signal in there. Its definately a dead zone. AT&t, VZ, or Sprint doesnt make a diference.

Sprints issues are based on past issues. People remember. Its like I would never go to At&t again no matter what. Its based on my past experiance and how they gave me the runaround. How does Sprint change this? Im not sure they can. You can dismiss 4G all you want, but its the future and Sprints the only one who has it up and running. As soon as Clearwater gets Houston up and running, I'll be hooking up. Cant wait for unlimmited 4G on my laptop.
    My pre's touchscreen died this weekend so I went to the Sprint store to get it checked out. I've had mine since the release and has been problem free. So they took my phone in to check it out and told me to come back in about an hour. When I got back, they had a new pre waiting for me with all the apps and contact information back up. I was expecting to pay for the repair or replacement but they just apologized for the malfunction of their phone and sent me on my way with no money out of my pocket. That's Customer Service. I've been with Sprint for over 9 years and never had a problem with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by gk1118 View Post
    My pre's touchscreen died this weekend so I went to the Sprint store to get it checked out. I've had mine since the release and has been problem free. So they took my phone in to check it out and told me to come back in about an hour. When I got back, they had a new pre waiting for me with all the apps and contact information back up. I was expecting to pay for the repair or replacement but they just apologized for the malfunction of their phone and sent me on my way with no money out of my pocket. That's Customer Service. I've been with Sprint for over 9 years and never had a problem with them.
    That's all well and good. But again, you're proving my point. My experience is that Sprint CS is pretty darn good. Improving CS is not fixing Sprint's problem, which is an inadequate network, limited number of advanced handsets, isolated ecosystem, and spectrum that doesn't penetrate indoor spaces well.

Fixing an already fixed CS will not address these failings!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast