Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I am planning on making the switch from the Sprint Palm Pre to the Pixi Plus on Verizon, so I dropped by the local Verizon Store in Cupertino, CA this evening and learned a few things.

- GOOD: the new devices were at the very front of the store

- GOOD: for those interested in the Pre Plus it does have a sturdier feel and the LED looks better than the button in my opinion

- GOOD: I was told that the way the Hotspot plan works is that it can be pro-rated -- but the max GBs are also pro-rated, so there are cases where you would be better off just paying for a full month

- BAD: the Verizon phones do not have Yahoo IM. I showed the sales person Yahoo IM on my SPrint Pre and she was surprised

- BAD: apparently the $30 data plan will not work with Exchange ActiveSync,; I was told that I need to get on the $45 plan. I'll definitely try the $30 plan before coughing up $45

I was going to make the switch today, but need to get more information about what's up with Yahoo IM and and the $45 data fee for ActiveSync
    This is contrary to what I have heard. I thought the $45 plan was for Blackberry service and that the $30 plan would be fine for EAS.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    This is contrary to what I have heard. I thought the $45 plan was for Blackberry service and that the $30 plan would be fine for EAS.
    I hope you are right. I've heard both stories. That is why I will try the $30 before just dropping $45/mo. I have a hard time believing that Verizon can actually enforce such a policy. I think the ATT and Sprint both have similar policies, but pretty much everybody ignores them. Blackberries are the one standout, since you have to get the special BIS or BES or whatever services.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    as far as BlackBerry goes, there are two offerings. BES (corporate) and BIS (personal).

BES = 45 dollars a month
    BIS = 30 dollars a month

for Windows Mobile, Android and WebOS phones, it's Unlimited Data Usage (corporate) and Email And Web For Smartphone.

UDU = 45 dollars a month
    EWS = 30 dollars a month

EAS = UDU = 45 dollars a month.

WHY Verizon still words these plans so strangely is beyond me. And make sure you check your bill. they like to automatically put you on the 45 dollar plan whether it's the one you need or not.
    I'm a current Verizon customer, looking to get the Pre. I kept starting at the website trying to figure out what the difference was between the "Email and Web for Smartphone" plan for $29.99 and the "Unlimited Data" plan for $39.99. The explanation on their web site was about as clear as mud.

I'm seriously considering switching to Sprint, given Verizon's pricing structure and treatment of it's customers.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I wish I could find somebody who has either the Palm Pre Plus or Pixi Plus on Verizon with a $30 plan to verify that Exchange ActiveSync works. I went into a second Verizon store today and got the same answer that AciveSync requires the $45 data plan.

Has anybody verified that ActiveSync works with the $30 data plan?
    clickity click
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EAS works with the $30 Verizon data plan. I'm using it with a Pixi Plus right now.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    clickity click
    Great find. So, now the question is does Verizon have a way of enforcing this?

The challenge I have is the I don't want to port my number over to Verizon until I know for sure what the data services will cost. The other thing is that I have been intentionally avoiding Blackberry Phones due to the data plan cost for BES. If the Pre and Blackberry data plans are the same that makes something like the Curve all the more interesting.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underzenith85 View Post
    EAS works with the $30 Verizon data plan. I'm using it with a Pixi Plus right now.
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

Since you are there already -- how do you like the Pixi Plus on Verizon?
    wow I was looking for that if I can sync yahoo contacts, why can't I IM on yahoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Great find. So, now the question is does Verizon have a way of enforcing this?

The challenge I have is the I don't want to port my number over to Verizon until I know for sure what the data services will cost. The other thing is that I have been intentionally avoiding Blackberry Phones due to the data plan cost for BES. If the Pre and Blackberry data plans are the same that makes something like the Curve all the more interesting.
    look, honestly, EAS will work on the 30 dollar plan. i just personally don't like recommending that route because it can be buggy and i have seen instances where that buggyness magically disappears once the user upgrades to the 45 dollar plan. i dont want to tell you to get on the 30 dollar one and then get slammed with penalties or something. id feel bad about that.

and the BES plan for BlackBerry's......you only have to get that if you work somewhere where all the BlackBerry's are controlled by an in house admin.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    look, honestly, EAS will work on the 30 dollar plan. i just personally don't like recommending that route because it can be buggy and i have seen instances where that buggyness magically disappears once the user upgrades to the 45 dollar plan. i dont want to tell you to get on the 30 dollar one and then get slammed with penalties or something. id feel bad about that.

and the BES plan for BlackBerry's......you only have to get that if you work somewhere where all the BlackBerry's are controlled by an in house admin.
    That is me. Do you think that I will get Buggyness with Exchange ActiveSync on the $30 plan? I have to say that if I am going to pay extra I would seriously consider playing with a Blackberry for a while. I love WebOS, but the I can't figure out who the hardware was designed for -- definitely not me. The best Blackberry at the moment is the Bold 9700, so that would probably mean looking at T-mobile, since I have great WIFI at home and work.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    I'm a current Verizon customer, looking to get the Pre. I kept starting at the website trying to figure out what the difference was between the "Email and Web for Smartphone" plan for $29.99 and the "Unlimited Data" plan for $39.99. The explanation on their web site was about as clear as mud.

I'm seriously considering switching to Sprint, given Verizon's pricing structure and treatment of it's customers.
    welcome to sprint :P
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

Since you are there already -- how do you like the Pixi Plus on Verizon?
    I'm not sure what the $45 dollar plan is for on Verizon, but I'm pretty sure nothing on this phone requires the $45 plan vs. the $30 plan. Haven't had any issues with EAS yet. Although I do believe the $45 dollar plan is geared toward corporate liability accounts with BlackBerry service. (could be wrong)

The Pixi Plus is just a regular Pixi with WiFi, the Pre Plus however, has 2x the Ram and 2x the storage of the original Pre. I did the buy-one-get-one-free offer and gave the Pre Plus to my fiance. I liked the Pixi's size and now with WiFi, it is pretty much on par with the Pre in terms of features.

But at only $50 more, the Pre Plus with the memory, storage and screen is probably a better bargain if you are just buying one phone.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what the $45 dollar plan is for on Verizon, but I'm pretty sure nothing on this phone requires the $45 plan vs. the $30 plan. Haven't had any issues with EAS yet. Although I do believe the $45 dollar plan is geared toward corporate liability accounts with BlackBerry service. (could be wrong)

The Pixi Plus is just a regular Pixi with WiFi, the Pre Plus however, has 2x the Ram and 2x the storage of the original Pre. I did the buy-one-get-one-free offer and gave the Pre Plus to my fiance. I liked the Pixi's size and now with WiFi, it is pretty much on par with the Pre in terms of features.

But at only $50 more, the Pre Plus with the memory, storage and screen is probably a better bargain if you are just buying one phone.
    Yeah. I have the Pre on Sprint and really don't like sliders or the keyboard. The Pixi keyboard seems quite a bit better than the Pre's. So, part of my motivation for switching is to get away from the Pre form factor. I would. without hesitation, pay $200 more to get a Pixi Plus with the Pre Plus display and memory specs.

I have a pixi plus as well syncing with exchange just fine on the $30 plan.

It was painful picking the pixi over the pre, due to all the upgrades the pre got, if they would of given the pixi at least a storage bump it wouldn't so much of a comparative rip off. Still ended up with the pixi due to form factor, but am still open to switching for a pre.