Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been a Verizon customer since they were Bell Atlantic Mobile in CT.

I called them today to find out some details about the Pre+ release tomorrow. When the rep checked my account, she saw that I'm not eligible for an upgrade until July. If I want to buy a Pre+ before then, I have to pony up the full price which is over $600. There was nothing she could do and she agreed it was a little crazy.

Does anyone know if there is any way around this? I've been waiting for the Pre to come to Verizon for a year and now I have to wait another 6 months or pony up a ton of cash.

Thanks!

Dave
    Dave
    "Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing" > "Works like nothing else"

Palm IIIxe -> Tungsten T3 -> Lifedrive -> TX -> Verizon Centro -> Verizon Pre+ and TouchPad
    After 6 months with the biggest piece of crap of phone (BB Storm), my upgrade date was a spec on the horizon, so I paid the ETF, got out my contract with Verizon and the money I saved by Sprint's kick a## rates, I had my money back in 3 months (sold my Storm on ebay for 200 dollars) and been luv'n my Pre every since then. I don't know, maybe Sprint's coverage is not as good where you live, but otherwise you will have to wait untill June.
    Quote Originally Posted by daveandcori View Post
    I've been a Verizon customer since they were Bell Atlantic Mobile in CT.

I called them today to find out some details about the Pre+ release tomorrow. When the rep checked my account, she saw that I'm not eligible for an upgrade until July. If I want to buy a Pre+ before then, I have to pony up the full price which is over $600. There was nothing she could do and she agreed it was a little crazy.

Does anyone know if there is any way around this? I've been waiting for the Pre to come to Verizon for a year and now I have to wait another 6 months or pony up a ton of cash.

Thanks!

Dave
    sooooooooooooo, what, you want a new phone for free every time one is released or when it tickles your fancy?

actually, there is another provider that lets you do that. oh wait, no there isn't.

when i was with Verizon i got new customer pricing every twelve months.
    If I had stayed with Verizon, I would also be eligible for an upgrade in July. That's why, when the Pre came out, I paid the Verizon ETF and bought a Pre on Sprint on 6/6/09. If you want the phone, you've got to pay the price.
    When I was with Verizon, it was 18 months, that is why I left.
    Verizon's footing the bill for a most of a 600 dollar phone. They have to have you stay with the contract so they can, y'know, not go bankrupt. It's a business decision...Now, Mines up on 2/25...hoping they'll spring me a month early. If not, I'll wait.
    Come to Sprint, as a Premier customer (69.99 a month or higher), you can upgrade every 12 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When I was with Verizon, it was 18 months, that is why I left.
    it's 20 months now.

and if you are on a rate plan of XX.XX or higher you can upgrade after a year.

there is also a phone number to call and i was able to get 12 month upgrades even when i was on a non qualifying talk/text plan with a dumbphone.
    and now Big Red has raised their ETF on smartphones to 350 dollars, ouch, they really want to get you tied down. So glad I left them.
    I know they have some type of one year upgrade offer if you have a My Verizon account, been with them for two years, and you've been paying more than 79.99/month with them. At that point you should be able to get an upgrade with a two-year contract signing. Do agree though, gotta love Sprint's rates. Verizon isn't that great in my area anyways.
    I was spending 180 a month and never got that deal.
    you shoulda hollered at me!
    Worked out waaay better for me, if I had never gotten P#ssed off a Verizon, I would never been enjoying my Pre all of these months.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusBlock View Post
    They have to have you stay with the contract so they can, y'know, not go bankrupt. It's a business decision...
    I can assure you, Verizon Wireless is in no jeopardy of going bankrupt. Verizon Communications (the landline company that shares ownership of Verizon Wireless) is not doing quite as well, but the wireless business is raking in billions each quarter.

In fact, if Verizon wanted to, they could fully subsidize more than 20 million Palm Pre Plus devices for existing customers not eligible for upgrade and still break even. That would certainly make Palm's day!
  15.    #15  
    My point was that I have been a loyal customer and they had no way to work with me. How about a 3 year contract? How about some kind of prorating like they do with the ETF?

How about the fact that I have only used the upgrade discount once in 14 years?

My point was that they didn't even try to work with me. I could either spend $599 or cancel my account and go somewhere else. My monthly bill would be higher if I switched to the Pre also, so they would have made more money.

Their policy basically prevents people from upgrading. What about Verizon customers with a regular cellphone who want to get a smart phone? (lots more monthly fees because of the data plan). If they aren't at the 2 year mark, they won't buy a new phone and then Verizon loses the extra monthly fees.

They make their money back with the monthly fees. They have room to do something for their customers.
    Dave

Palm IIIxe -> Tungsten T3 -> Lifedrive -> TX -> Verizon Centro -> Verizon Pre+ and TouchPad
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    it's 20 months now.

and if you are on a rate plan of XX.XX or higher you can upgrade after a year.

there is also a phone number to call and i was able to get 12 month upgrades even when i was on a non qualifying talk/text plan with a dumbphone.
    Do you know the number?
    Dave

If your line is the primary line on the account, and your monthly access is a cetain amount (34.99+ I believe though could be wrong), that primary line can upgrade one year from the contract end date for $20...

There really isn't a special number for getting special treatment, its just CS or TS... Some people will talk about executive offices or what not... No.
    Here is the annual upgrade policy from Verizon

"You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Verizon every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply)."

I just got my pre plus using this. The only catch is you have to order it through my verizon online. I did not pay an upgrade fee either.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveandcori View Post
    My point was that I have been a loyal customer and they had no way to work with me. How about a 3 year contract? How about some kind of prorating like they do with the ETF?

How about the fact that I have only used the upgrade discount once in 14 years?

My point was that they didn't even try to work with me. I could either spend $599 or cancel my account and go somewhere else. My monthly bill would be higher if I switched to the Pre also, so they would have made more money.

Their policy basically prevents people from upgrading. What about Verizon customers with a regular cellphone who want to get a smart phone? (lots more monthly fees because of the data plan). If they aren't at the 2 year mark, they won't buy a new phone and then Verizon loses the extra monthly fees.

They make their money back with the monthly fees. They have room to do something for their customers.
    No disrespect intended, but did you call flaunting the fact you are a long time customer? Basically expecting a long tenure would get you a deal out side the contract? I work for Sprint, and people who expect things just cause don't get too far. We are employees see you been with us a long time and will help accordingly. But like I said, no disrespect intended, just trying to help you out.

Verizon upgraded my phone @2year price, 3 months into a 2 year contract for me. I even stated to them I simply jumped the gun and really didn't like the phone but nothing was really wrong with it. Was a very pleasant surprise.

Also its typically better to go into a store when your asking for something outside of policy, its harder for people to say no to your face, and if its busy they don't want others to see your not really getting what you want. Other customers only see your having a bad experience, not that your asking for something out of the guidelines.
  20.    #20  
    Well, I took some of your advice and called Verizon customer service, and low and behold, they changed me to the 1 year renewal. I'll be picking up a Pre+ and free Pixi+ this weekend. They can do much more than the store.

My point, to someone who stated my long customer status didn't mean anything, was that good customer service does give some consideration to longevity.

They did when I called them and I am very happy with how the person handled things.
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast