Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Has anyone ever successfully negotiated with Big Red to see if they will match a competitor's plans? I was thinking that it would be neat to be the first "kid" on my block with a new Pre Plus when they hit the streets in a few days, but paying for extras like $9.99/month for VZ Navigation and having a 5GB cap on data (which I doubt I'll ever hit anyway) in addition to a more expensive base plan have me thinking twice.

The only threads that I have seen here about negotiating with Verizon are a few years old, and say that they *never* do it. As the recipient of a "pick any phone in the store for free" deal with them several years ago, my experience shows that it may be possible under the right conditions. (I've been a continuous Verizon/NYNEX Mobile/Bell Atlantic Mobile customer since they were counting customers in the thousands and not millions, and that is apparently worth something to them from time to time even if they apparently don't have a formal retentions department.)

Just wondering if anyone knows the secret "can you hear me now?" handshake that could make them match pricing plans with Sprint.....
    Make sure to wear a T-shirt with a "map for that" on it before trying that courageous stunt!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    just my two cents but i cannot see ANY way that they would do this..they do not need you to be their customer at this point so they have no legitimate reason to do so...but good luck with that
    You have the largest provider in the country, and they continue to gain market share. Good luck. I hope you win.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows the secret "can you hear me now?" handshake that could make them match pricing plans with Sprint.....
    I tried that a while back...even asking for a supervisor or the reps manager to try to negotiate (both with AT&T and Vzw). I explained my current plan with Sprint and if they could match it....they did come close with a 2-phone plan. I told them I needed that price for 5-phones and, in return, the rep told me to stay with Sprint because they couldn't even touch that price.

Basically, it comes down to this...Vzw has teh best coverage nationwide. I don't think anyone (but Luke Wilson) will dispute that. Vzw is a little arrogant about it and thinks they can charge a premium for that...and they do it sucessfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I tried that a while back...even asking for a supervisor or the reps manager to try to negotiate (both with AT&T and Vzw). I explained my current plan with Sprint and if they could match it....they did come close with a 2-phone plan. I told them I needed that price for 5-phones and, in return, the rep told me to stay with Sprint because they couldn't even touch that price.

Basically, it comes down to this...Vzw has teh best coverage nationwide. I don't think anyone (but Luke Wilson) will dispute that. Vzw is a little arrogant about it and thinks they can charge a premium for that...and they do it sucessfully.
    whats funny about verizon coverage... is yes it's the best nationwide no questions asked BUT when a sprint phone goes into roaming you know what towers it goes off of?? Verizon's.... now yes roaming using up the battery a bit more but if you have the Simply Everything Plan from sprint (or i think the majority of plans) they don't charge you for roaming min. sooooo in theory Sprint has the same "maps" as verizon.... just some area's will be roaming when on verizon you wouldn't be

EDIT: to answer the OP's question- good luck i've never known verizon to price match , a few friends of mine have tried
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    whats funny about verizon coverage... is yes it's the best nationwide no questions asked BUT when a sprint phone goes into roaming you know what towers it goes off of?? Verizon's.... now yes roaming using up the battery a bit more but if you have the Simply Everything Plan from sprint (or i think the majority of plans) they don't charge you for roaming min. sooooo in theory Sprint has the same "maps" as verizon.... just some area's will be roaming when on verizon you wouldn't be

EDIT: to answer the OP's question- good luck i've never known verizon to price match , a few friends of mine have tried
    I also would like to point out that if you look at Verizon's "big red map" there isn't really a differentiation between native and roaming coverage. In addition, Verizon doesn't even use the term roaming, they use "extended network". To get the difference between native and roaming coverage, the easiest way it to look at their coverage map for prepaid.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post

Only two drawbacks about roaming on vzw's network: no 3G and the threshold for switching over to a roaming singnal is too low. That's why I have the roam-only patch installed on my Pre for those few/infrequent times I need it.
    When I left AT&T, I told them my Sprint offer with the employee discount and they agreed to match every bit which surprised me. I still left though because I REALLY wanted a Pre and AT&T isn't great in my area either. I mean, really, who drops a call on 680(a major freeway in the Bay Area) not once, but four times in the span of 15 minutes?! It's sad.
    You have a better chance checking with them to see if you qualify for any discounts through your employer. Since Verizon is so big, there is a good chance you will qualify for some type of discount. You can check at this link and if you are eligible, they will send an e-mail to your work e-mail address and you can activate the discount instantly. It is worth a shot. It is the best chance you have of getting a discount on Verizon. The only reason I stay with Verizon is because of the discount I get.

It wont let me post the link because my post count is too low. Just google Verizon employee discount.
    Last edited by ChrisV79; 01/29/2010 at 01:41 PM.