Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Parents just ported over and got two new dumbphones.

Dad's phone works like it always has, where you can dial just 7 numbers within the same area code. Mom's phone requires all 10 numbers to be dialed.

I dug through every setting on her phone and everything looked fine. I finally called tech support and after going through the motions of checking for firmware updates, updating the PRL and manually reprogramming the phone, she put me on hold and came back a few minutes later and said she found a memo stating that all carriers are switching over to this method.

Any truth to that? out of the 6 phones between us, only the one phone is doing it.
    I'm not sure what it's like in your area, but in Salt Lake City we're now required to dial the area code, no matter what. So it makes sense that most providers are switching over.
    in Houston, TX where we have 3 area codes it is mandatory to dial the area code and then the 7 digits. I was surprised when I went to a small town and didn't have to do that.
    The last time I remember not having to dial an area code was about 7 years ago, but I have always lived in big cities.
  5.    #5  
    thanks guys.

i was just curious. still kinda weird that its only the one phone though.

oh well.
    Is the phone "roaming" ?
  7.    #7  
    nope.
    Been doing it in Oregon for over 10 years on land-based phones, always had to do it on a cell phone.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I have 3 phones on Sprint, 2 Pre's and 1 Lotus in Hampton Roads, VA. There are 2 area codes here and I do not have to use an area code for any of the phones. I switched from ATT back in September; they started making us use them about a year ago saying everyone was going to it though.....so basically my post will be no help:-)
    We just went to mandatory area code dialing here in CT. I don't know about your parents' phones, but you can set the Pre to automagically add an area code to a seven digit number.
    We have been dialing 10 digits in Atlanta for YEARS.
    But even in areas where 10 digit dialing is required, the Treo/Centro had a feature that when you only dialed 7 digits, it automatically dialed all 10. In fact, if you dialed only 4 numbers, you could program it to still dial all 10.

I liked that feature.
    I've had to dial all ten digits since I was about 10 years old... OP, do you live in the middle of nowhere? lol
    well I don't live in the middle of no where. I live in Odessa TX our town has a population of 100,000. And our sister city midland TX has around the same population. I have only had to dial 7 digits of phone numbers to call anyone in these two towns. On top of that our area code changed like 7 years ago. But we are still only required to dial 7
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgrim800 View Post
    well I don't live in the middle of no where. I live in Odessa TX our town has a population of 100,000. And our sister city midland TX has around the same population. I have only had to dial 7 digits of phone numbers to call anyone in these two towns. On top of that our area code changed like 7 years ago. But we are still only required to dial 7
    It looks like your town is catching up to the rest of the country lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    It looks like your town is catching up to the rest of the country lol
    Catching up? Its been the same forever except for the area code which we arnt required to dial. It looks as if most people have to dial the full 10 we do not.
    Here in Tucson we don't have to dial 7 digits but probably will pretty soon. I can't imagine we are far off from needing another area code.

It is a good practice to learn to dial all 10 digits anyways, and storing them in your phone that way as well. Then when you are out of your home area all of your contact numbers still work, and you don't have to worry about it.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by eserrano250 View Post
    in Houston, TX where we have 3 area codes it is mandatory to dial the area code and then the 7 digits. I was surprised when I went to a small town and didn't have to do that.
    +1. Houston has to dial the area codes, even from landlines.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I don't think anyone is intending any insults, but most of the country has been on 10 digit dialing for almost 20 years. It started when many areas (like mine) ran out of numbers for the area code we had, and instead of dividing up the area, they overlayed the new area code over the other. So it was possible that I would have 503- area code, and my neighbor next door would have a 971- . That also went along when all phone companies had to upgrade their switching equipment from the old mechanical analog system (read rotary dialing) to the new digital systems (read touch tone dialing). So while using 10 digits for you is a new experience, it is something that the majority of the country has been dealing with for years.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgrim800 View Post
    Catching up? Its been the same forever except for the area which we arnt required to dial. It looks as if most people have to dial the full 10 we do not.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I've had to dial all ten digits since I was about 10 years old... OP, do you live in the middle of nowhere? lol
    haha, nope, but i wish i did.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast