1.    #1  
    Now posted on Verizon Wireless website:

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Products
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Pricey... but atleast they offer it as an option.
    damn pricey is right..... and for only 5GB of data??? what a rip off..... i mean yea i agree at least they will have a tether app but once again their prices are crazy high and thats the reason i for see verizon users searching out for the free software like mytether.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Why does Verizon insist on making their plans so confusing. Another reason i like sprint. They make their plans simple and easy to understand.

BGR and Engadget had a hard time explaining them...
    Looks cheaper than having a separate air card which is $60 a month for 5GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Why does Verizon insist on making their plans so confusing. Another reason i like sprint. They make their plans simple and easy to understand.

BGR and Engadget had a hard time explaining them...
    It didn't used to be that way for Sprint. The old plans were very complex and had a ton of different options. This is one of the reasons for the many billing issues.

As an example, there were 3 different $20 data plans that each had different add-on features (like Sprint TV, Navigation, or Sprint Radio), plus the $15 access pack, and hte $25 all inclusive one. These were entirely done away with instead for the $15 data package, and the $10 Data Premier add-on.

On top of that with the bundled plans they aren't as customizable but at the same time they are around the same price as if you added items on individually before, and in several cases cheaper (Like the Everything Data plans).

Billing issues have dropped dramatically as the old plans are being replaced by the new ones and the complex inricate differences are being replaced with overall inclusive plans.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Ok, I may have done something wrong. But I did the calculations on Verizon's website for what my current Sprint plan would cost.

4 Lines on 1500 minute family plan, 2 phones with insurance = $184 on sprint per month.

The same thing on verizon came out to be $338 a month. ($140 base plan with1400 minutes and texting then $45 per line for unlimited data and 2 lines with insurance)

Did I do something wrong? That is just plain CRAZY!
    This is such an obvious cash grab. I don't get why providers have to do this.

You can use unlimited internet if you use it on the PHONE, but are limited to 5GB when tethering? Even if you pay extra for it?

What the hell? Packets are packets. They load the network the same whether it's your laptop or your phone receiving them. This is why I don't feel guilty hacking tethering into my Sprint Pre.

There's no reason tethering should cost any more! They should just put a 5GB cap in on all data, and let you use it however the hell you want.
    looks like my individual 450-data plan is only 20 dollars less on sprint than verizon. unless I started running up too many minutes b/c of no mobile-to-mobile.

can't believe verizon charges as much as or more than a decent high-speed isp connection would cost at home. crazy!
    just last year it was 15 dollars on top of my BIS plan.

and for 30 a month, id personally rather just pay more for a dedicated aircard plan. especially with 4G speeds.

the phone tethering was nice, but it was buggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

You can use unlimited internet if you use it on the PHONE, but are limited to 5GB when tethering? Even if you pay extra for it?

What the hell? Packets are packets. They load the network the same whether it's your laptop or your phone receiving them. This is why I don't feel guilty hacking tethering into my Sprint Pre.

There's no reason tethering should cost any more! They should just put a 5GB cap in on all data, and let you use it however the hell you want.
    one reason i have sprint.... i use mytether a lot and just for reassurance i called sprint care to see if with the "simply everything plan" i had a cap on the amount of data used. the rep told me there is no cap on your phone data like there is with the aircards which are 5 GB limit. i asked soo if i happen to somehow find a way to use 60+ GB of data on my phone i wouldn't be charged? he said nope.
    yeah i doubt they can charge you (especially first time), but im sure they'll send you a letter like...

hey buddy, sooooah.... 60+ Gigs huh? maybe you can give us a break?

lol
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

The difference is that your computer is capable of using far more data in less time than your phone. If you are just using data on your phone, it's unlikely that you will use 5GB a month. If you are tethering, you could easily use 5GB several times over, that's why they don't allow tethering without paying extra for it.

The phone companies are in business to make money, not give stuff away for free. Of course they are going to charge extra for this kind of stuff. Obviously many people are willing to pay for it or they wouldn't be charging for it.

That being said, I also think they should just set the limit at 5GB and allow us to use it however we want. However, I would probably think otherwise if I were profiting from it.

Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    yeah i doubt they can charge you (especially first time), but im sure they'll send you a letter like...

hey buddy, sooooah.... 60+ Gigs huh? maybe you can give us a break?

lol
    Yes, they CAN and WILL charge you for it. It's a violation of your contract and they CAN tell if you are tethering. They just have to catch you doing it. They can't possibly look through millions and millions of accounts to find someone that's tethering, but if you have extremely high data usage it will throw up a red flag and you could easily get charged for it. If you keep your data usage at a reasonable level (under 5GB a month) it's highly unlikely you will get caught.

Also, if they are having a large problem with excessive tethering, they will increase their enforcement or just kill everyone's ability to tether altogether. That's why if you are tethering, you need to keep your data usage to a reasonable level even though you aren't getting charged for it. We have already seen an update to WebOS that caused problems with My Tether, and another update could kill it completely if Sprint or Palm wanted to do it.
    The thing that keeps turning me away from CDMA is the lack of simultaneous Voice & Data.

With At&t I can Tether and not miss a call.
    Just call me Berd.
    Actually, if I remember correctly, you don't miss a call with cdma, the incoming call pauses data until after the call.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Actually, if I remember correctly, you don't miss a call with cdma, the incoming call pauses data until after the call.
    That is correct.

And VZW has dropped the allowance on their HotSpot plan to 2GB from 5.

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Products

And, tethering on Sprint is a violation of your terms of service, no matter what the Sprint rep told you.

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...ml#post2936905
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    For now, freeTether makes Verizon's Mobile Hotspot obsolete. Speeds are similar and connecting through the phone is unlimited with no chance of overage fees.
    Hardly makes it obsolete, as you are in violation of VZW's terms of service for using it. And there is only "no chance of overage fees" as long as they don't catch you doing it.

Data Plans & Features - Terms & Conditions - Verizon Wireless Support

Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses
    You may not use our Data Plans and Features for illegal purposes or purposes that infringe upon others’ intellectual property rights, or in a manner that interferes with other users’ service, interferes with the network’s ability to fairly allocate capacity among users or that otherwise degrades service quality for other users. Examples of prohibited usage include: (i) server devices or host computer applications, including continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients such that they could enable “bots” or similar routines (as set forth in more detail in (iii) below) or otherwise denigrate network capacity or functionality; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections; (iii) “auto-responders,” “cancel-bots,” or similar automated or manual routines that generate amounts of net traffic that could disrupt net user groups or email use by others; (iv) generating “spam” or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that facilitate the dissemination of such email); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other users or systems to use either Verizon Wireless’ services or the Internet-based resources of others, including the generation or dissemination of viruses, malware or “denial of service” attacks; (vi) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless’ or another entity’s network or systems; or (vii) running software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer’s connection would otherwise be idle, or “keep alive” functions, unless they adhere to Verizon Wireless’ requirements for such usage, which may be changed from time to time. By way of example only, you may not use a Data Plan or Feature for Web broadcasting, or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    The thing that keeps turning me away from CDMA is the lack of simultaneous Voice & Data.

With At&t I can Tether and not miss a call.
    Here's one work around. get a Skype Pro account, which means you get a regular phone number even non Skype users can call as if it's your land line or mobile (I think it's still $3/month). Get a Google Voice number and start using it as your primary number you give out to all your most important friends and contacts. Have GV ring both your Skype and mobile number when calls come in. Use Freetether on your Pre to connect your laptop to data. Now you can do everything over data and you don't have to use Verizon's bogus Skype client (which charges you minutes unless you're calling another skype user).