1.    #1  
    How do i keep my cell number if I want to terminate my sprint account and move to another carrier with out incurring the ETF because of the change in billing rates?

I'm referring to the $.20 increase for the regulatory charge and the "materially adverse change"
    Last edited by BPassione; 01/09/2010 at 09:08 PM.

Palm IIIc - Palm m515 -Palm Tungsten E2 - Palm Treo 755p - Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    I believe that as long as your account is paid in full they have to let you keep your number.

I guess I cant say that 100% for sure though because I've been with Sprint since long before you could keep your number when you switch carriers, so I've never had to get mine switched.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    New Regulatory Fee Increase=GET OUT OF YOUR SPRINT CONTRACT FOR FREE, NO ETF! - SlickDeals.net Forums

i was able to get my wifes instinct cancelled without an ETF this morning.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superrad View Post
    New Regulatory Fee Increase=GET OUT OF YOUR SPRINT CONTRACT FOR FREE, NO ETF! - SlickDeals.net Forums

i was able to get my wifes instinct cancelled without an ETF this morning.
    That is what the OP was referring to. He was wondering if he can keep his number when he cancels. I suspect as long as the account is paid in full the answer is yes, but I can't say for sure.

The definite answer may be somewhere in this thread, but I don't feel like reading through nearly 300 posts to find it:
    http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...e-january.html
    Unless you port your number over to another carrier, once you close your account with Sprint, the number would be no good. The number is assigned to your account, and if you account is closed, you number goes back into the pool of numbers to be reassigned to another person after it is dormant for a period of time.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    When you speak to cancellations, you need to ask to have the contract terminated but don't have them cancel the line. Once your contract is terminated you should be able to visit the carrier of your choice and have your number ported.

Good luck with your future phone use and hope to see you back with Sprint at some later date.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the help! Ive talked to 3 reps so far and 2 had no idea what I was talking about and the 3rd said "I'm not a legal expert, but $.20 isn't a "materially adverse change, and Sprint can do that." Which is obviously bull****. I guess I'll just try again until I get an informed rep.

I'm kinda sad to be leaving sprint, I have had them for several years, and was usually happy with their customer service, but their coverage seems to be getting worse. I live in NJ (not far from NYC) so my coverage should be very good. I have dropped so many calls in the last few months it is ridiculous.

8.    #8  
    For anyone who is interested, I was able to port my number out from sprint and still cancel the contract without incurring the cancellation fee.

Call the cancellation department and explain to them that you want to terminate the contract due to the "materially adverse change" but you are intending to port out your number.

MAKE SURE THEY NOTE THE ACCOUNT and they will credit you the ETF cost back to your account after the number has been ported to another carrier.

Got the CSR's employee number and a conformation email from him to confirm our conversation and the terms of the cancellation to protect myself in case they tried to charge me the ETF anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BPassione View Post
    For anyone who is interested, I was able to port my number out from sprint and still cancel the contract without incurring the cancellation fee.

Call the cancellation department and explain to them that you want to terminate the contract due to the "materially adverse change" but you are intending to port out your number.

MAKE SURE THEY NOTE THE ACCOUNT and they will credit you the ETF cost back to your account after the number has been ported to another carrier.

Got the CSR's employee number and a conformation email from him to confirm our conversation and the terms of the cancellation to protect myself in case they tried to charge me the ETF anyway.
    This sounds like sound advice.

Always, always, always get written proof. In this case, a confirmation email. A further step would be to callback and have another CSR confirm that the note was made to your account before you go to another carrier.

That is the correct policy. Once the port is complete, you must contact Sprint again to have the ETFs credited to the account.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    How long can you keep your number on hold after cancelling the cotract? Of can I continue using my Palm Pre on Sprint after cancelling? Ideally, I woudl like to continue using my Sprint Pre until I can get the Pixi Plus on Verizon when it is introduced on January 25.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    How long can you keep your number on hold after canceling the contract? Of can I continue using my Palm Pre on Sprint after canceling? Ideally, I would like to continue using my Sprint Pre until I can get the Pixi Plus on Verizon when it is introduced on January 25.
    I recall someone mentioning specifics in the other thread: (http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...e-january.html). It's a long thread but the answer was maybe 3/4 of the way through (so scanning the thread from today backwards would probably work best).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    It's always nice when people provide the answer after they find it out:
    (hence I gave you thanks)

Yes, definitely check back with CSR after the port. (Find out the number now as "*2" might not work afterwards?) Also check back after day your bill normally would have been sent.

What carrier did you switch to (and why, if you are willing to share that)?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!