1.    #1  
    ~1-1-2000 - My wife and I sign up with Sprint as our cell phone service provider. Never been late with a bill.

12-22-2009 -
    My wife and I buy her a new Palm Pre for Christmas.

1-5-2010 -
    My wife uses her new Pre to make a call and after pulling it out of the faux leather pouch... notices that the volume rocker switch is missing and nowhere to be found.

1-6-2010 -
    My wife goes to the Sprint store (Grant Communications) and asks them to 'fix' the problem.

The girl behind the counter:
    a) Declares that it is because of mis-use that rocker switch fell off.
    b) Says that while yes we do have insurance, it will cost us $100.00 to get a brand new out of the box replacement sent to her overnight.
    c) She is advised that she will need to send her 'broken' phone back with all of it's stuff or she will be charged for their replacement.

As she left, my wife took a room full of either existing or almost new customers with her as she declared - 'Sprint Sucks!'. They followed her out.

1-7-2010 -
    Replacement phone arrives from Asurion - it's not new - it's refurbished. It is a phone taped to a panel inside a box inside another box. No padding, bubble wrap, shredded paper, newspaper, straw, popcorn or plastic peanuts. Nothing. No supplies either... no charger, etc. nothing but a refurbished phone taped to a piece of cardboard inside a box.

I found this forum. Thank GOD. I am now waiting for the snow to clear long enough for me to get the phone replaced with a NEW phone and considering leaving Sprint just as soon as I can since they have changed the T&C of the agreement by $.40 a month per line which for me is $2.00 that appeared on my new bill. I love the idea of getting a new phone while at the same time getting out of the restrictions.

Now I have two questions -
    a) do I get different phone instead of a Pre?
    b) Since I am in a position to get out of the contract with Sprint, who would you suggest I go with or how do I become a month-to-month customer with Sprint and can Sprint prevent me from going month to month?

PS - to those who would say that I'm gaming the system or being unethical... I would say in return that I am using the tools at my disposal to try to level out a playing field that is always and has always been tilted in favor of the phone service provider. How many people are paying $100.00 a pop to Sprint to replace new and broken phones for repaired broken phones? If there comes a day that Sprint goes down the line of customers it has taken countless thousands of dollars from illegally, that is the same day I'll take my stupid pill once a day for the rest of my life and play the game 'their way'.
    I haven't had this problem with Sprint. I have had to replace my Pre twice now, and not once have I had to pay the $100 replacement fee. As for switching carriers go to Verizon and get the Pre again! 16 gb and they allow tethering plus no stupid button!

The Pre is a good phone. It can do a lot of things. Stick with it, just drop Sprint.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Considering the short period you have had the phone, I would suggest speaking to a manager at the Sprint store, explain that the phone is only a few days old and has been kept in the case and you feel this is a warranty issue. Hopefully they will do the right thing and replace the unit for you. If Grant Communications is the dealer you bought from they will be responsible for replacing a defective unit under the 30-day satisfaction guarantee. If you purchased online or over the phone you can visit a Sprint corporate store for a replacement.

Generally insurance and service and repair replacement units are refurbished units, anyone telling you otherwise is misinformed.

Send the insurance phone back with a letter stating that you refuse to accept the unit since it is a refurb and you were told it would be a new unit, they will be required to refund your $100 deductible payment.

You can ask to have your contract terminated due to the changes in the TOS, which will turn you into a month-to-month account, but I hope the Sprint store manager can resolve the issue for you and keep you from leaving for another carrier.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by gianoli516 View Post
    they allow tethering
    for a price.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha1john View Post

Now I have two questions -
    a) do I get different phone instead of a Pre?
    b) Since I am in a position to get out of the contract with Sprint, who would you suggest I go with or how do I become a month-to-month customer with Sprint and can Sprint prevent me from going month to month?
    you've had Sprint since 2000 and all of a sudden "Sprint sucks?"

a)i dunno. which phone doesn't have a volume rocker?
    b)hold on, im throwing a dart up in the air and im gonna see which provider it lands on.
    you already claim to know how to become a month to month customer.
    yes Sprint can prevent you from going month to month.

in the future, perhaps you should go to a Sprint Corporate Store and leave your wife at home.
    my suggestion would be to find a sprint store. I'm assuming since you said Grant communications was the store that it's an authorized retailer and not a corporate store. There in lays your biggest problem. Dealing with an actual sprint rep is leaps and bounds above a retailer. I've had sprint for most of the past 13 years (dabbled in all three others of the big four) and I've never had an issue with getting something replaced or taken care of when it wasn't my fault (and some times when it was.) IMHO go to a real sprint store and have them replace your Pre for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    my suggestion would be to find a sprint store. I'm assuming since you said Grant communications was the store that it's an authorized retailer and not a corporate store. There in lays your biggest problem. Dealing with an actual sprint rep is leaps and bounds above a retailer. I've had sprint for most of the past 13 years (dabbled in all three others of the big four) and I've never had an issue with getting something replaced or taken care of when it wasn't my fault (and some times when it was.) IMHO go to a real sprint store and have them replace your Pre for free.
    A corporate Sprint store won't be able to help you if you are within 30 days of purchase from a 3rd party retailer. Inventory is only chared between corporate locations, 3rd party retailers purchase their devices entirely separate, which is why they can set their price to whatever they want. That retailer you bought it from is responsible for the first 30 days as far as defects and exchanges are concerned. After that you would have to go to a service and repair location (whether corporate or not).

If they won't replace it there, then return it, then go to a corporate store to get it instead where you will have more options for locations to have things handled.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    my only advice is a little alte. Goto a different sprint store(if possible)

first go back a talk to the person who said you insurance would give you a new phone.
    Though I'm a big believer in talking with my money going to another provider will probably like shooting yourself in the foot. You may have the satisfaction of leaving, but you'll be paying more. If that's ok with you I'd go to Verizon for the bigger network. T-Mo is the only provider that I know that has a family plan cheaper than Sprint.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    This is the reason I'm considering Best Buy's Geek Squad "black tie" replacement plan for accidental damage. It costs $10/mo, but there is no replacement fee and they'll give you a new phone off the shelf, or at least that's what they tell me. Assuming this is true the extra $3 is worth it.

As much as I hate the thought of getting anything sold under the geek squad brand (especially as an IT administrator who commonly fixes their mistakes) I don't think I can pass this up.