1.    #1  
    So with the pre coming out for Verizon, is there any chance we would be able to move our sprint Palm pre to verizon?
    From my understanding verizon would allow this, but you need to have the phone flashed. But will all the features work? I.E. internet???
    Why would you want to anyway? Verizon will lock it down and you will have half the features than you do on sprint!
    I think the biggest reason not to do this is that you can save a lot of money as a sprint customer v/s any other carrier right now. Additionally, with the ability to roam on the VZW network when not in a Sprint service area, you have good coverage as well.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I think the biggest reason not to do this is that you can save a lot of money as a sprint customer v/s any other carrier right now. Additionally, with the ability to roam on the VZW network when not in a Sprint service area, you have good coverage as well.
    Disregarding discounts, the prices look to the same to me. I'm doing sprint's 400 minute plan with unlimited text and data for $69, and VZW seems to have the same price. This also allows me to wait for pick whenever the nexus one comes to Verizon (or another phone that interests me, still debating).
    GPS navi is also included with the Sprint service.

I would check again....I don't think you can get unlimited text, data, navi and mobile to mobile calling (any network) for that price with VZW.
  7.    #7  
    GPS navi is also included with the Sprint service.

I would check again....I don't think you can get unlimited text, data, navi and mobile to mobile calling (any network) for that price with VZW.
    What's GPS navigation exactly mean though? Does it just mean I can't use sprint navigator or does it mean I can't use google maps?

I don't care about mobile to mobile (since in total I only use 200-300 daytime minutes, even before m2m). On their site they have a $69 a month plan with unlimited text, data, 450 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KallDrexx View Post
    What's GPS navigation exactly mean though?
    It means you have accsess to Sprint Navigation software (think Garmin) included in the cost of your plan. Google maps is a separate application and doesn't have anything to do with Sprint Navi.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I am curious about this as well. We are roaming most of the time, have 4 phones, imagine our surprise when we got our bill that showed us charged minutes for calling each other (we have never been charged for calling our own phones ever,) so we had to increase our minutes to 3000 shared which actually bumped us higher than verizon. So any helpful info would be appreciated, cause I love my pre Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knsnik View Post
    I am curious about this as well. We are roaming most of the time, have 4 phones, imagine our surprise when we got our bill that showed us charged minutes for calling each other (we have never been charged for calling our own phones ever,) so we had to increase our minutes to 3000 shared which actually bumped us higher than verizon. So any helpful info would be appreciated, cause I love my pre Thanks!
    When roaming, features like mobile to mobile, and any mobile anytime are not available. The reason is that for each minute you are not on the Sprint network, Sprint has to pay that network operator. So unlike hwne you are on the Sprint network calling each other and it costs very little, when you are on a different network Sprint has to pay the roaming amount to that other carrier. Without any roaming charges, each of those minutes you use is a loss to Sprint.

It is the same on any carrier, it isn't specific to one or the other, it is the nature of the industry.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Disregarding discounts, the prices look to the same to me. I'm doing sprint's 400 minute plan with unlimited text and data for $69, and VZW seems to have the same price. This also allows me to wait for pick whenever the nexus one comes to Verizon (or another phone that interests me, still debating).
    I wanna know what plan you are looking at then. Unlike Sprint, Verizon has different plans for regular phones and smartphones.

So if you are looking at a smartphone with 450 anytime minutes, unlimited messaging, nights and weekends starting at 9pm and unlimited data it is $99.99/mo. That does not include the Friends and Family program, because those start at 900 minutes. Not to mention the new $350 ETF for "advanced devices".

Sprint's Everything Data plan is $69.99 for 450 minutes, unlimited messaging, nights and weekends at 7pm, unlimited data, SprintTV/Music Premier, turn by turn GPS navigation, and the Any Mobile Anytime program (so those 450 minutes are only for landline calls).

For most people that would be a much better deal.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    I wanna know what plan you are looking at then. Unlike Sprint, Verizon has different plans for regular phones and smartphones.
    Yeah I realized that last night. Didn't realize that they have different plans for smartphones and dumbphones (dumphone data + messaging plan was $69 apparently). So just cause I'm using a smartphone I have to pay $30+ more a month...

That's ridiculous.
    Before I got the Pre last June, I had a verizon 450 minutes/data $70-$75 plan with Verizon on the Palm Treo, I think also extended to the blackberries. With tax the bill was about $80. There was a more expensive 450 min plan for about $80, I think $90 with taxes but it included my emails being forwarded to Verizon's own server under some kind of sync service Verizon sold (they were in a profile and would get restored to the phone if I erased). Once I understood that I was being charged for this, I downgraded to the $70 plan and used versamail rather than Verizon's email sync program.

Unlike Sprint offerings, Verizon did not have available anytime cellular to cellular nor did it have any credit union discounts that I knew of nor did it offer monies for referring others.

Service from Verizon was a tad better in some parts of buildings but other than that, Sprint has been Ok for me in the places I've traveled and worth the dollar savings. Sprint customer service has been courteous and eager to solve problems and it feels like they are treating me as a valuable customer, a shade better than Verizon at the end although Verizon was always courteous and professional. Sprint more likely to transfer me to different departments rather than one or two people taking care of it as Verizon did and this might be a Sprint systems problem which means things take longer and perhaps with every transfer, somewhat riskier that one will get a solution or perhaps a timely solution. But they try hard and every problem I have had has been resolved to date.

Verizon land line customer service has deteriorated badly where I live and I am switching. A sign of the times, I suppose.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Yeah I realized that last night. Didn't realize that they have different plans for smartphones and dumbphones (dumphone data + messaging plan was $69 apparently). So just cause I'm using a smartphone I have to pay $30+ more a month...

That's ridiculous.
    Yes, it is.

So it charging $10.00/month for VZ Navigator...
    So is charging $3.00/month for Visual Voicemail...

When I switched from my Verizon Storm to my Sprint Pre...I got MORE features (I mean carrier features...like unlimited txt messaging)...for $50.00 LESS per month!!

No exaggeration.

The new Verizon ETF also would make me really hesitate going back to them.

No question, their coverage is GREAT...but man, you sure pay for it.
    Agreed with Habius.
    Forgot to mention that I got charged 0.20 for every text under my 450 min plan with Verizon
    Plus did not have access to free navigation, a feature which is very handy.

I don't know if things have changed with Verizon, you would have to check with them.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    When roaming, features like mobile to mobile, and any mobile anytime are not available. The reason is that for each minute you are not on the Sprint network, Sprint has to pay that network operator. So unlike hwne you are on the Sprint network calling each other and it costs very little, when you are on a different network Sprint has to pay the roaming amount to that other carrier. Without any roaming charges, each of those minutes you use is a loss to Sprint.

It is the same on any carrier, it isn't specific to one or the other, it is the nature of the industry.
    I understand what you are saying, however we were on Verizons extended network 900 minutes shared with D phones and could call verizon to verizon with no additional charges, and yes we were roaming. Vcast was the only thing we couldn't get. Now verizon is here (prev. Alltel) so that is why I am thinking about switching back. I don't have any issues with sprint it's just that if you are roaming verizon may be cheaper.
    i just checked at&t, verizon and t-mobile and your absolutely right. sprint beats them all plan wise, not phone wise.